Source for bucket (speedster?)seats for my 64' 356c coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Parolini
356 Fan

Source for bucket (speedster?)seats for my 64' 356c coupe

#1 Post by Jason Parolini »

Can anyone recommend a good Source for bucket (speedster?)seats for my 64' 356c coupe? Like or similar to the ones pictured here. Thanks
Attachments
bucket seats.jpeg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Source for bucket (speedster?)seats for my 64' 356c coupe

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Fibersteel, one of our vendors.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

+1 for fibersteel, Al Zim has some also.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

I use the Fiber Steel GT seats in my 356s. Just a tad wider than the Speedster's but beautifully done and very comfortable. ...........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#5 Post by Craig Richter »

+4 Another very satisfied Fibersteel customer. There are some other options, but much more expensive.

By the way, I do have a pair of tan Speedster seats I don't need, if anybody is interested. Pretty good shape, but not as nice as the Fibersteel seats that replaced them. Problem is they are located here in Austria. Email me if interested

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

#6 Post by Christian Guthrie »

Keep in mind the seats will only be half the battle. You'll need to fabricate seat rails for the T-6. I am not aware of anybody making a pre made set to purchase, hopefully I am mistaken. When I made mine many years back, I used (2) donor seat pans and used the lower rails as well as the adjuster latches, welded onto the metal Speedster seat frames.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I have a set of Fibersteel seats in my 64C. Fibersteel offers the seat mounts that will allow you to slide them right into your existing seat rails, however they are expensive. They are very well made and as Christian says, it's not getting easier to find the needed adjuster latches to fabricate them. I am 6'4" tall and the GT seats did not provide as much head room as the factory squishy spring seats. I fabricated my own custom mounts in order to drop the seats low enough to gain 2" of headroom with the seat lowered all the way.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Speedster seats were/are thin sheet steel. The GT version is (mostly) aluminum. Years ago, there were I/8" thick fiberglass copies of the Speedster seats, I have one in my Lotus Elite race car. (I also have a pair of the GT seats in my 59 Carrera.) The Fiber Steel seats I saw a while ago were clunky, heavy, 3/8" thick fiberglass creations. Beware that Speedster seats will ruin the ride of a coupe because a fair fraction of the springing in a coupe is in the seats. If I were in the market for a Speedster seat, I would check out the aluminum repros which are available.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Craig Richter »

The seats in that used '58 Speedster my parents gifted me for graduating from high school in 1961 were not very comfortable, but neither was anything else very comfortable about that cool little hot rod. Comfort wasn't the point. The thin fiberglass copies that came with the '55 Speedster I purchased from Anne Litz after Ray's untimely passing were even worse, but were very lightweight and served well for a period boy racer. These are the extra seats I have in Austria (free to any enthusiast willing pay the shipping). The beautiful FiberSteel seats are quite robust, have better padding, and are MUCH less expensive than the aluminum or steel repops. A word of caution about the original Speedster seats: they have a glued-together wooden bottom frame that becomes compromised with age. A minor accident can become much more serious if that frame comes apart.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bil Brown »

E43F1E30-3814-4E13-AB77-9E5DA095650B.jpeg
I`ve had an original Speedster driver`s seat in all my 356 cars over the years. The orig steel seat is my fav. I kept my seat after selling my A Coupe last year......and now it`s in my 66 912....I love it!
Bill Brown