356A Owners Manual Cases for Owners Manuals

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Erick Quintana
356 Fan

356A Owners Manual Cases for Owners Manuals

#1 Post by Erick Quintana »

How can I determine original vs not original cases for the owner's manuals?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 356A Owners Manual Cases for Owners Manuals

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Erick, I looked at a couple of sites, Charlie White and 356 tools, but only came up with the early paper cover. I know there were two types of the maroon ones embossed PORSCHE in two different locations on the cover but I do not know which would have come with an A manual. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and expertise will weigh in.

Update: I just Googled "356 Porsche manual cover" and found a link to an old Registry thread on the topic. It might be helpful.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

Buy the seller before you buy the manual. ................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

+1

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#5 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Jim Liberty wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:02 pm Buy the seller before you buy the manual. ................Jim.
No truer words were ever spoken...

Drew Saunders
356 Fan

#6 Post by Drew Saunders »

Hi Erick
I produced a small quantity of card Owners Manual Folders for Pre A, T1 and T2 a couple of years ago.
Here is a link to the whole discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44463&start=30

I became slightly despondent when folders (uncannily similar to mine but a bit rough around the edges) sold on a certain web auction site for astronomical money.

It's a shame but I'm not sure I want to produce something that then gets passed on as original.
Anyway here is a picture of my "Reproduction" folders, good luck with finding a true original.
Pre A & A folders_sml.jpeg
Regards
Drew
United Kingdom
1944 Type 82 Kubelwagen (Sold)
1959 RHD Coupe (Sold)
1959 LHD Convertible D (Sold)
1959 RHD Coupe (under restoration)
1959 LHD Convertible D (awaiting restoration)

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Douglas »

Besides Drew's excellent paper covers , Jeffery of Classico makes some very good repros for the late As and early Bs. Both are much cheaper than what people are asking for "originals"
Not exactly sure when the paper covers were replaced by the red vinyl, my friend's 59 was bought in Feb '59 and he has a paper cover, another friend has one bought in May of 59 and he has the vinyl. The red vinyl went into the year 1961, and then changed to a slightly darker red until the clear C covers came out.
There have been a few reissues /reproductions made over the years, a red cover with the crest at the bottom right corner was in the 1980s, a cover with the crest in the upper right corner was in same time frame.
The Maroon covers with various inside colors didn't appear until about 1968, long after the 356 era.
Photos are of a late A cover (July '59)
IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1662.jpeg

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#8 Post by Graeme Langford »

is that classicowheels.com Steve ?
1958 356A
1967 911S

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Douglas »

Yes, Classicowheels, Jeffery doesn't list them in his website, but has had them off and on in the classifieds and at the LA lit meet, send an email or call him. He may still have some left, I think they were about $45-50, and very nice

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#10 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

We're fortunate to have the original manual with it's folder for our '55 and to protect the original I took the opportunity to buy one of Drew's copies of the folder, it is brilliant.

A few years ago a so called 'original' replacement Porsche dealer supplied copy, with dealer stamp from the 50's came up on EBay. With modern scanning etc I was suspicicous but the price was good for a well produced copy so with that in mind I decided to get it.

It is exactly as I excpected a very well produced repro, and since then I have seen the same thing occaisionally appearing on the same EBay. I've assumed it is someone supplementing their income, it's not exactly lying, as it is a repro, and the price was sensible. My attitude was 'I think it's a modern repro, it is but the price was good for that' no real scam or harm done.

Go in with eyes open with these sort of things on EBay
V. Gillespie

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Douglas »

Vincent, I had a pristine owners manual with red paper cover for a 56 I bought, Drews was almost perfect for a reproduction. The original literature was a huge selling point for the car, it went to Mexico. I bought one of Jeffery's red vinyl covers to use in the car with a nice reproduction manual saving the originals for some reason, not sure why...