Door lock and window issue!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Kim Reeves
356 Fan

Door lock and window issue!

#1 Post by Kim Reeves »

Hello again! This one is stumping me. Passenger door - when i close it, all is fine. When i open the car from the outside, a click and the latch, see picture
IMG_9099.JPG
, goes into the down position, which means for the passenger, who is unaware, the door thuds and has now broken my door latch. To release it, i move the door handle inside to the open position, and click, it goes into normal mode.

Whilst i have the door panel off, the window is really hard to wind up. It looks like the window is not plum when it goes up. Are there any quick tips for that without taking the entire door apart, which i think looks a little tricky.
Thank you again 356 Forum!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Door lock and window issue!

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I don't know if these pics are of any help. Has any recent work been done on the door lock mechanism? Is the cable properly adjusted? Is the mechanism lubricated? As far as the window regulator, there are adjustments (search previous threads). Also check the bottom rail is not cocked. Again, check for free movement of the parts and lubricate as needed.

The one pic is locked, the other unlocked. I operated both from the exterior handle.

Mike

I just thought of something else. Check the door panel screw in line with the lock mechanism. If it is too long, it will interfere with it.
Attachments
78B440A5-34B9-467E-BD05-346131EE8298.jpeg
472B70F1-8D1B-4D55-B57C-265F2C6E2D6C.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#3 Post by Kim Reeves »

Thanks for the pics! Mine does not go down that far and it only releases when i open from the outside. It does look VERY dry and dingy in there. Most likely from the body restoration. I am going to degrease it first - lets it soak and then get some oil on her. The window adjustment looks intense. I see one screw in there but it attaches to nothing - when i turn the window to go up, the bottom arm and ridge that holds the window, moves in from the force. I will take some pics next time i am in there!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

A good cleaning and lube is a good place to start, Kim. As far as the window mechanism/regulator, the door/window frame may need adjustments since you mentioned the car was restored. Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#5 Post by Kim Reeves »

Mike, do you have any good links on methods for window adjustments. Also - i degreased and oiled the door latch internal system - still not fixed. Also tried to see if there was any adjustment in the door strike but no. When the latch goes all the way down, is that a full locked position? Any details on how this is supposed to work would be great - thank you!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If everything is assembled and lubricated correctly your door should work fine without moving the inner handle to reset the latch. The inner handle should "rest" at the closed position do to spring pressure. Pushing the inner handle down opens the door and handle should return to closed position on it's own. Pushing the handle "up" from neutral "closed" position locks your door. Adjust your cable if a problem with the door card off. It sounds like assembly of your door/handle/window assembly was done incorrectly. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19586&p=87189&hilit ... ent#p87189 Your window binding can be due to multiple different problems, from the seal used in the front channel to incorrect assembly to a bad mechanism: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50235&hilit=window+binding And you are correct in that complete door/window assembly is a bit tricky- which is why after a restoration I would assume incorrect assembly unless a shop that is expert on 356s did your restoration. If you add a location to your profile we can recommend help in your area. Also a 356 workshop manual for 356B with T6B and C supplements would help you a lot. https://www.stoddard.com/wkd480220.html.html After over 40 years of T6B and C/SC ownership I still need to use mine as my memory for details is unclear at times.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#7 Post by Kim Reeves »

I figured it out! See the three images - i need to bend it a hair, the strike plate, so the door push pin can engage a littler harder and then fully put the latch outside into the open position. See attached - is there another way to adjust this.
IMG_9109 2.jpg
IMG_9103.jpg
IMG_9110 2.jpg
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Kim, I'd clean and lube the heck out of it first. I think it's just hung up.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And adjust the cable before you bend things.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Definitely. I forgot about the cable, Doug.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#11 Post by Kim Reeves »

The cable seems to only work the inside action and did not make a difference to the positioning of the latch - so, i got a degreaser and got all the gunk out and then lubed the entire area. I did a tiny bend and so far - door is working...for now!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

The cable does only operate from the interior handle. With the door open and manually flipping the door latch to locked, does the interior door handle smoothly unlock the latch? If not, it could be an adjustment of the cable or more lubricant is needed. Now do the same with the exterior lock handle.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#13 Post by Kim Reeves »

Quick update to close out - in the end the little bending did the trick. The door handle is its own little entity. BUT i did de-gunk the mechanism of the door latch and the window and tried the silicone in the window slots and bam - feels like a new door! Even got the interior light to work! Thank you again for the support! Onto the next quest!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

👍 congrats on solving the issues!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe