inside window crank handle

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

inside window crank handle

#1 Post by Jay Darlington »

can anyone tell if this is this the correct inside window crank handle for a 58 A cabriolet? its was in my parts box, along with a couple more that i think are VW. the drivers one is just like it but this one for the passenger side just won't fit. it doesn't go onto the splines far enough to get the pin in. it needs a good 1/8-3/32 of an inch to let the pin go in. there is a shoulder of sorts after the groove for the pin on the shaft it almost seems that the handle won't go past this shoulder. I've also checked the spring to see if its binding things. any ideas will be appreciated.
DSCN7688[1].JPG
Jay D.
jay darlington

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: inside window crank handle

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've had a similar problem with the window cranks but usually after chroming. I dress the splines of both the crank and on the regulator with a small file. Check inside the handle to see what is stamped. The knob looks like one for a 356.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

Mike is 100% right. Often I need my partner here at the shop to push the handle in, while I fit the pin. Often a two man job. .............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spike Jones »

Pics of the window cranks in my '58 cab. On it when I bought it in 1983, but who knows if original. Think they are.
IIRC, I had to dress the splines after re-chroming to get them to seat completely.
Attachments
'58 Porsche window crank 2.jpg
'58 Porsche window crank 2.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 178 times
'58 cab window crank.jpg
'58 cab window crank.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Spike Jones
'58 Cab