Installing Soft Top

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian Davies
356 Fan

Installing Soft Top

#1 Post by Brian Davies »

Hello, I have a Roadster that I'm trying to build back up to a "driver" level car (not a show car). I have the top frame which is in rough but probably-usable condition. The wooden inserts are rotted/gone and there is some significant rust in that area, but I think enough metal is there to put some new wood pieces in and cobble it back together with some fresh paint.... I also have a replacement soft top plus some other bits (frame pads maybe is the right term) in a box. I would need to buy a front seal where it meets the windshield as well as side/window seals (any advice on which ones are best?).

Does anyone have a good installation guide for how to do your own soft top? I can do just about anything if I can see some instructions. I recently completed installing my own carpet kit and I think it turned out pretty well for a first time project. So I'd really strongly prefer to not take the car to a shop to have the top done. Even if it takes me a while or comes out looking less-professional, I like to do it myself :)

Here's a pic of the car just for fun.
IMG_7055.jpg
Thanks,
Brian

John Wurner
356 Fan

Re: Installing Soft Top

#2 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Brian
Do you have the aluminum pieces that hold the rubber to the top?
I have a set as well as the rubber parts if you need them.
I also have a 60 Roadster, if you need pics for guidance.
John

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

John is one of my heroes. ................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Brian Davies
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brian Davies »

Yes, I have a set of the rain channels that are original and in good shape.
I also need to buy the rubber holder bits as my originals are all mangled up/bent. I was planning to just buy the rubber plus holders from Stoddard unless there is a better suggestion.
I also have the latches on the windshield side and the top frame side.

I would LOVE pictures of every detail of the top frame and how it's done. Based on what I've seen so far:

Several places on the frame have rubber pads screwed on there I guess to cushion certain areas like where the frame sits on top of the door pillars. There are also little rubber pads where the middle, movable bow flips back and forth. I'm not sure how to recreate those, but I was going to look for some thick rubber sheet and just cut them out.

There is supposed to be wood in the slots on the frame in certain spots. I think this was to nail the fabric to. My wood is pretty much all gone, and the metal there is significantly rusted away, but I think there is barely enough metal there to patch it back up for a driver-level car that will never be intentionally driven in rain anyway so it really doesn't matter much if it leaks. I'm not against having the frame repaired if someone actually knows someone near washington DC that can do it, but I'm reluctant to just take it to any old welder to try to fix as it is basically an irreplaceable part and I would fear that it could be damaged/destroyed by improper repairs.

Most (all?) roadsters have metal snaps for a tonneau cover. I don't plan to put these on mine, so that's fine to leave off.

I have no clue how to make proper use of the metal teeth on the frame. Other than getting accidentally stabbed a few times, I've not made much progress.

My task #1 is to sand the top frame down a little bit (just to clean it up) and repaint with some tan paint. Anyone got a color suggestion? I'm not sure if media-blasting would be better, but I don't have that equipment.

Here are some pics of what I'm working with. It isn't pretty, but it is the original frame. I found the last few digits of my chassis number on the main frame as well as on the floating/detachable rear bow. Pretty cool!
Attachments
IMG_5066.jpg
IMG_5065.jpg
IMG_5068.jpg
IMG_5067.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

Brian

do you have the rest of the attaching hardware? Installing the top is pretty straight forward, adjusting everything is not hard. PM me I can help, I have had a few.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Brian Davies
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brian Davies »

Hi John, I think I have everything.

The top is bolted to the body now.
The catches are screwed into the windshield frame.
I have the matching latches in a baggie.
I need to drill out a couple sheared off screws for the rubber seal holders and get some new holders, rubber, and screws.
I have the rain channel pieces.
There are some bits that hold the floating rear bow to the rear cowl that my dad custom made... no clue how those work, but I'll ask him.
I need to buy a front seal.

So I think I've got pretty much everything important or I can easily buy it. The wood strips are one piece I'll have to make myself, but I assume you just go to home depot and buy some wood and make it fit in the slot (?). I think it was painted black before it was inserted?

I need to remove the windshield and put new seals under the left and right sides plus the bottom. I'm totally dreading this job. But all parts are factory original, so hopefully I won't have too many fitment issues.

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#7 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Something to consider Brian when you get to the final stage of attaching the nuts under the dash to the windshield frame posts....
tighten them just enough to hold the lower windshield seal in place. This can aid greatly in avoiding a cracked windshield in the future. Check it occasionally to insure it’s stable. My second Roadster windshield is doing much better now. Good luck on your efforts. It will be well rewarded.
Feel free to email to me if you would like a slow video scan of my roadster top frame and window seals.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

John Brooks
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Brooks »

Brian

The rear bow as a pair of ball lock rods (like the carbs linkage) they are adjustable in length, these are the last thing you install The frame without fabric should go up and down easy. the tabs will align on the windshield lock with out any sideways pushing or pulling to get the to align. That beige paint it hard to match, but clean it up and paint it, then lubricate all the pivots The top shop that puts on the fabric will do the final adjusting

Check the window seals after you get the frame on, and lined up. The glass should slightly impact all the rubber around the glass. You can mess with the glass door frame to get it correct, but remember its a roadster and will not be water tight. I have only had my top up once in 50 years, a tonneau cover is dryer inside when driving and if parked pointing a little up hill. PM me or call I am on the TAN List.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#9 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Brian
I just sent you the photos and a couple videos via email. Let me know if any other photos might also help.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Brian Davies
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brian Davies »

Thanks to a few people for providing pictures! I have learned a lot.

A few more questions...

I see some car have the corduroy on the same part of the bow with the frame pad - and some cars have the corduroy stopping where the frame pad starts. Which one is preferred? I guess I could do it either way since I'm not super concerned about winning any concourse competition :)
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.16.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.16.05 PM.png

The second question is a little harder to answer because once the rubber window seals are installed, it's mostly covered up. How does the top attach to the wooden pieces in the channels by the back side of the window glass? Is it obvious? I am guessing you fit the top over the frame, and sort of pull it tight around the sides and just staple it? (or is it tacks?)

The last questions are all about the front bow where the latches are. How does the front edge of the top attach? Is it just pulled over and glued? How does the expensive windshield seal attach? Just glue it in? There is also a piece of vinyl there that seems to just be a simple wrap-and-glue job. Is that basically correct?
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.24.34 PM.png
Thank you to all for the help! I feel like I'm getting close.

Brian

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

When you're ordering the front seal note there are two kinds,
1. A hard rubber kind
2. A soft spongy kind

#2 costs a lot more then #1, but it worth every penny. The one you want looks like this, which was an NOS one.

The soft one makes it where you can close the top and seal it, the cheaper one makes both these things a lot harder.
Attachments
IMG_9161.JPG
IMG_9160.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.