Clutch Pedal Play Question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gene Wesolaski
356 Fan

Clutch Pedal Play Question

#1 Post by Gene Wesolaski »

Greetings,

I had to replace the main seal on the flywheel side on my "57" 356A engine.
While I had the engine out. I also replaced the Gland Nut, Clutch Disk and Throw Out Bearing.
Prior to this work, the clutch play was fine. After this work, I now have excessive clutch pedal play.

All parts were purchased from our suppliers specifically for 356A's.
Adjusting the cable is no big deal, but why it is required has forced me to ask the question.
Shouldn't the clutch play have stayed nearly the same?

Also, has anyone swapped the engine side adjustment nut with a VW Wing Nut for ease of adjustment?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gene

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Clutch Pedal Play Question

#2 Post by David Jones »

New clutch disc wold be thicker one presumes which would increase clearance. When I do initial clutch adjustment I make sure I have plenty of allowance for adjustment of the outer cable as that allows for a coarse adjustment of the clutch play so I don't have to struggle with the cable end adjustment.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: Clutch Pedal Play Question

#3 Post by George Hussey »

agree, the relationship of the parts has changed so one could not possibly think that the clutch cable adjustment would be the same. Adjust it making sure you have the required free play and see what happens. Will be a little adventure if the clutch does not work correctly!
George Hussey