Problems with Dansk 356A Muffler

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Problems with Dansk 356A Muffler

#46 Post by Mike Wilson »

I wasn't aware that the only muffler available for the A models was Dansk. Thanks for that info, Dave.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Wurner
356 Fan

#47 Post by John Wurner »

I have a Magnaflow stainless system on my A coupe.
Works fine and fits. Problem, the pipes are of a diameter that
well not fit the "thru the bumper guard" system, but works with Euro guards.
Attachments
Exhaust 4.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#48 Post by Martin Benade »

What’s the noise level like?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Wurner
356 Fan

#49 Post by John Wurner »

Has a nice throaty sound, not offensive.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#50 Post by Al Zim »

From the time I started my vacation (and your situation emerged) till yesterday when the vacation ended, our shop has installed 3 Dansk mufflers on engines that have been completed completed. Both fuel injection and carburetor engine were represented. NO modifications had to be made to have these mufflers installed. Things we use we are confident in recommending. Aaron manages the shop, you (all) are welcome to call him or zim with questions. 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#51 Post by Jon Schmid »

I had no fitment problems with the mufflers (yes, plural) that I installed on my 356C coupe. My problem was the constant cracking of the welds where the pipes enter or exit the can due to a crappy design. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the problem was "solved" with "flying buttress" gussets between the can and the pipes. For what Dansk charges for their products, they should be held to a much higher quality standard.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#52 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Al Zim wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:22 am From the time I started my vacation (and your situation emerged) till yesterday when the vacation ended, our shop has installed 3 Dansk mufflers on engines that have been completed completed. Both fuel injection and carburetor engine were represented. NO modifications had to be made to have these mufflers installed. Things we use we are confident in recommending. Aaron manages the shop, you (all) are welcome to call him or zim with questions. 800.356.2964
So I guess the rest of us with mufflers that don't fit are SOL. I know it doesn't fit and won't without modifications and I don't think questions asked of Aaron will change that. Apparently ongoing complaints don't change anything either because the mufflers are still offered for sale. The fact that some mufflers fit without modifications and some require modifications speaks highly about the lack of quality control with the Dansk model for the 356C. I can't speak about 356A mufflers but I'll be switching to other 356 parts vendors who care about their customers from now on.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#53 Post by Brian R Adams »

This is just a hypothetical, but it occurs to me that if you had several of the Dansk units to hand (let's say you were a reseller of them) and you had an engine on your bench needing a new muffler, you could test fit all the mufflers you had in stock at that time until you found one that fit.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#54 Post by Dave Erickson »

Al, you did not say which model Dansk mufflers were installed.

Also, not to flog a dead horse, but I ran into additional problems with that muffler. The tailpipes would not tighten down, even when the bolts were tightened to the point of distortion. The problem was that the slots on the outer pipe were much too short. Both ends of both clamps had this problem. I cut the slots longer on the bandsaw (which solved the problem), but is that really something Dansk expects the customer to do?

The problem with vendor comments that seem to say "I didn't see a problem", is that the vendors clearly are not doing their job of providing feedback to Dansk to improve their product.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#55 Post by Al Zim »

When the car leaves we seldom get any feedback from the individuals that have Dansk mufflers! I will talk to Aaron this morning. zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#56 Post by Larry Brooks »

I posted this here a few months ago on another thread. I decided it is pertinent information for people who are following this thread:

With some trepidation, based on the last time I installed a new Dansk muffler a few years ago, I ordered another one. I figured it was going to give me the same grief trying to install it as last time. I usually support our vendors but I ordered it from Amazon for the simple reason that I could return it for a full refund with no shipping or other hassles that I didn't want to subject my usual suppliers to. I got it in three days and I noticed a couple changes, the most significant being little bracing wedges on all four pipes where they enter the muffler.

So I crossed my fingers, took a deep breath and started fitting it to my engine. The pipes slide right on and the flanges lined right up. They were on the same horizontal and vertical planes as the heads so they pulled down uniformly, top to bottom and side to side, on both sides when I tightened the nuts. I tightened the new clamps on the lower pipes and it was on - 25 minutes elapsed time. A good part of that time was used watching how everything was lining up and making sure nothing was binding.

Easiest installation I've ever done. Time will tell if they solved the cracking and other issues, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Update: I have since run the engine several times on my test stand setting up the distributor and the carbs. I have run the engine up to operating temperature for setting the carbs. I used stock gaskets and no goop on the pipes because it seemed to fit so well. No exhaust leaks. Time will tell regarding cracking, but since it slid on so well and Dansk installed the wedges, I'm still cautiously optimistic they won't crack.
Last edited by Larry Brooks on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#57 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks, Larry. So I wonder if ordering from Amazon you got the one of latest batch rather some of the older stock that our vendors might have.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#58 Post by Brian R Adams »

Larry Brooks wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:09 pm I noticed a couple changes, the most significant being little bracing wedges on all four pipes where they enter the muffler. ... The pipes slide right on and the flanges lined right up. They were on the same horizontal and vertical planes as the heads so they pulled down uniformly, top to bottom and side to side, on both sides when I tightened the nuts. ... Easiest installation I've ever done. Time will tell if they solved the cracking and other issues,
-
Larry, excellent update, and seemingly great news. So now prospective buyers need to query vendors about the presence of the bracing gussets on the pipe joints. It means NOS examples may go begging if buyers are diligent about this.
-

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#59 Post by Martin Benade »

Larry, could we have pictures of what to ask for?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#60 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:32 pm Larry, could we have pictures of what to ask for?
Look at the first half of this thread, in particular Dave Erickson's photos. His had the gussets welded in where the pipes attach to the chamber. Seems he had alignment issues anyway, and I see one gusset sliced through, presumably so he could bend the pipe there to correct angular misalignment at the gasket flange end of that pipe. Sooo ... seems even with gussets one needs to luck out (as Larry did) on the fitment. :(
IMG_0588.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpeg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 152 times
-