Oil Pressure Light

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Kim Reeves
356 Fan

Oil Pressure Light

#1 Post by Kim Reeves »

Hello! Looking for some guidance.
Oil Pressure (Green) light has started coming on after driving 1-2 minutes. No other performance issues but...the oil temp gauge has never worked, had it calibrated by North Hollywood but recently it would spring to the max and go back down when i start the car - around the same time the oil pressure light started to come on.
I have ordered a new pressure valve and sender from Stoddard. But if anyone has advice, that would be great.
Jon
64-356SC Coupe
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: Oil Pressure Light

#2 Post by George Hussey »

one quickie is to tape off the oil pressure switch lead and drive the car again. If the light still comes on, there is a wire grounding problem
George Hussey

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

The oil pressure and temp gauges have power applied to the Gauge, and seek a ground at the engine. It sounds like you have the wires swapped at the engine side. Pull the wire off the pressure switch, turn on the key You will see the red generator light, Then touch the end of the wire to the case or some bare metal. See if the gauge moves or the light comes on. You should get a green light, if the temp gauge pegs, swap the wires between the temp sensor and the pressure switch.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

Can't really be wiring if it only happens after 2 minutes with a warmed up engine I asume. I would try some higher viscosity oil first, then swapping out the sensor and then a mechanical pressure gauge to see what is actually going on.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

I think its similar to a wiring problem I ran into a couple months a go. The oil light was finding a ground in the temp sensor when the oil heated up. The pressure switch was open with pressure, but the temp sensor wire and oil light were shorted together.

“ would spring to the max and go back down when i start the car - around the same time the oil pressure light started to come on”. It’s wired backwards, the oil pressure wire is on the temp probe. swap the wires aroound
Last edited by John Brooks on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

Oil pressure being as critical as it is, I would definitely check it with a mechanical gauge. Easy to put one together that connects to the bypass oil filter line.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0030.JPG
I hate "Idiot" lights. In my driver cars I install this: ............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#8 Post by Kim Reeves »

Thank you all for the responses - parts are ordered and i will try the simple wiring tests first and keep you posted!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#9 Post by David Nicholls »

Dear Kim

Sorry to hear about your problem.
I’ve included a photo to show you what can happen.
In this case the owner allowed the engine to run for some minutes after the Green Oil Pressure Warning Light came on.
The Tang for the Oil Pump had broken, hence no lubrication.
Damage done to the No3 Big End Bearings as shown, shrapnel everywhere in the Crankcase, No3 Conrod overheated and No 1 Main Bearing about to seize.
Repairs needed, Crankshaft line bore, Crankshaft Main and Conrod Journals ground to 1st under,.
Parts needed, new Oil Pump Gear with Tang, a Conrod, Main Bearings, Big End Bearings, gaskets.
Lots of $s and time.
The tragedy is that this was a nice engine that hadn’t been machined or damaged before.

I’m sure that you’ll get yours going again, let’s know how you fixed it.
Regards
David
PS Extra cockpit gauges are cosmetic value only, unless they are calibrated.
Attachments
78882007-D803-47EC-B5C6-03F11C42D4D2.jpeg

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wes Bender »

Knowing Jim, those gauges are not just cosmetic, and are a damn sight better than the idiot lights.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#11 Post by David Jones »

As long as you pay attention to the gauges then you can make a positive argument for their worth. On the other hand when I was busy in the cockpit of the race car an idiot light could be a good attention getter so having both would be the preferred approach but seeing oil pressure or any other parameter get closer to allowable limits will give a margin of safety over the moment the idiot light comes on. Airplanes use gauges for a very good reason.
I would hazard a guess however that most drivers today if quizzed, probably could not tell you what most of the lights and icons on their dashboards actually signify.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

Gauges are also useful even if not accurately calibrated to let you see deviations from normal readings.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#13 Post by Kim Reeves »

@john Brooks - thank you!! that was it! after doing some continuity tests - that was it - and now my oil temp works as well! bonus! Thank you.
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Brooks »

Very good description of the problem makes it easy. Plus I just fixed a similar one a couple months ago.. Was it at the motor or under the dash??
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#15 Post by Kim Reeves »

it was at the engine - must have been from the restoration. So technically its never worked - the oil temp has never worked till now!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe