seat belts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Romano
356 Fan

seat belts

#1 Post by Bill Romano »

A similar query dates to 2001 and was answered by Dave Seeland. The ref'd vendor PE Product phone doesn't connect. So I'm asking the same question now ...

I would like to install three-point lap/shoulder belts. There is an anchor point on either side of the back jump seats and Stoddard offers a round, knob-like appurtenance with an Allen bolt in the center with a black plastic "rosette" to pretty things up. They offer two-point belts for the C but don't have three-point units. Does anyone make an appropriate lap/shoulder belt with the necessary hardware? If not, what's the best way to fashion one?
Bill Romano

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: seat belts

#2 Post by David Jones »

Try seat belt planet in Oklahoma. Call and talk to them. I have bought a few sets from them.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Scallon »

Hi Bill. This old post from years ago may have what you're looking for. Or at least may provide some ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10359&hilit=seatbelts

Good luck with the project!
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Check Paul Hatfield's website (there is a link on the Registry) and search seat belt anchors.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ted Hengst
356Talk Admin

#5 Post by Ted Hengst »

Hi Bill -- I just had the three point belts installed in my '63 B Coupe. Used the Stoddard anchor kit and retractable belts from Seatbeltplanet.com. Couple to learning points: 1. The aluminum knob in the Stoddard kit needs to be shortened so the belts fit flush to the side panel/black plastic "rosette" (escutcheon). Without the knob, the bracket on the retractable mechanism is too large and moves around. With the modified knob, there is a nice fit and the holds the mechanism without play. 2. Even with the shortened knob, the Allen bolt fits into the anchor point on the T6 without an issue. 3. Seatbeltplanet.com custom makes the seat belts, so it took several weeks to get the belts, more if want custom color or stitching. I was told 6 weeks when I ordered and had them in 4 weeks. 4. The seat belt clips fit the standard floor anchor points (my car previously just had lap belts), so no modification necessary. They also have the holes for the cotter pins. 5. The hardware kit from Seatbeltplanet is not needed if you get the Stoddard kit.

I had lap belts before, but the change to three points just gives additional peace of mind. Also had Jules' new LED third brake light installed, so have completed all of the "safety recommendations" minus head rests! Let me know if you would like additional information or photos.

Ted

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

On my T6 I rethreaded the upper anchors for standard 7/16” bolts, I felt more comfortable having more than an 8mm bolt, although it may be strong enough. The mount is very strong but mounted too low. I am short enough that the seatback is as tall as my shoulder protecting me from compression.
Are your rear seat backs blocked from being used like mine?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

I have the PEP 3-point seat belts. They do prevent the rear seats from being used but that isn't a problem since I only use the shelf for luggage. I like the idea of tapping the existing mounting hole to 7/16ths. Was that difficult? I am in the process of changing the PEP seat belts to another type of 3-point as they tend to be catchy when trying to extend them. I, too, am vertically-challenged so the position of the shoulder belt isn't an issue with the rear seat belt mount.

John Willhoit has a different system that incorporates a guide on the B pillar, mounts one end in the threshold, the retractor on the rear seat shelf and the male part of the seat belt on the tunnel with reinforcing.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Drilling and tapping the mounts was straightforward. I might have tried to raise the position but my car is a cabriolet which complicates things.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Erickson »

I have three point seatbelts on my C. I plan to add them to the convertible D when it comes back from AI. My plan is to drill a hole as high in the fender well as possible and to use a seatbelt eyebolt with a large diameter washer. Most likely a 3x3x1/4".

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks, Martin. A larger bolt would be better.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Joseph Boyce
356 Fan

#11 Post by Joseph Boyce »

I got some really nice ones for my SC a year ago from Part-South. Factory correct hardware, webbing, and stitching. See the article on my car in the latest issue of the magazine. They don't list them now on Ebay but maybe you can find out where they got them. They were able to track down some additional webbing so I could have the buckle side lengthened.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Can anyone provide a link to the Paul's article about mounting points for 3 point selt belts?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Neil, go to the heading the 356 Porsche then More Info and the link to Paul's website or there or enginesinback.com

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

I just placed an order for seat belts. Neil with Seat Belt Planet and I have been emailing each other for a couple of weeks trying to find a good 3-point retractable set up for my '63 coupe. Instead of an adjustable female buckle, I wanted a cabled buckle between the seats that would be easier to hook up to. The retractors will be located on the factory attachment points in the rear and the other ends at the factory anchor points in the floor. I have to say that they were very easy to deal with. I'll take pics of the set up once installed.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

I’d be especially interested if your setup doesn’t block the rear seat backs like mine.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna