Returning 356 Owner

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Albert Bione
356 Fan

Returning 356 Owner

#1 Post by Albert Bione »

Folks,
I'm a long time Porsche owner going back to the 1980s. My first Porsche was a 1964 C Coupe. A great car. Since then, I've owned a 912 and numerous 911s, all very nice weekend drivers. I'm a 30-year member of PCA and have bought all my Porches through PCA Mart or directly with PCA members. All transactions have been really positive experiences. I'd like to find a 356 s/r coupe, but if I limit my comfort zone to PCA Mart I'll probably have to wait a long time. I view all the popular internet sites but don't feel comfortable, particularly with auctions, I would have the time for adequate due diligence, at a minimum a PPI and a personal visit to see the car. Does someone have a thought on a forum that exists formerly or informally where 356 owners or collectors discuss future additions or reductions to their collections with a transaction time horizon in months or years?

Thank you.

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Returning 356 Owner

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Albert

Where are you located?
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Albert, you would do well to post a wanted ad here in the classifieds as it will stay up for quite a while and easily be renewed. Specify all the criteria you can think off but also say if deviations from your specifics are in order. I would also recommend signing up for notifications for 356 models from the website of Bring a Trailer as most cars get torn to pieces by the commentators on the auctions. If there is something not quite right and it is pictured it will be commented on for sure. End result is that the cars usually sell for what they are probably worth except when 2 or more people want a car for unknown reasons, then sometimes the price reaches stupid money levels.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

First of all welcome back to 356s. While many still find through the grapevine wonderful cars some of the auction sites like BAT are worth watching and PPI still possible if you know people where the car is. Do to how few had sunroofs you might want to consider all coupes. In the last few years here are 2 of my favorites from BAT, one a East Bay car that was being sold by daughter in Portland https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960- ... 5-coupe-6/ and 2nd a 2 owner South Bay C coupe https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-porsche-356c-54/ Both cars were in places easy to fly into and where a good PPI could be done.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Albert Bione
356 Fan

#5 Post by Albert Bione »

I live in Charleston SC.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Re: Returning 356 Owner-Local Group

#6 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Your local group may be a good source.

Southern Owners Group
15107 Windrush Ln
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Contact
Gordy Smith
770-667-1786
gas356sc64@gmail.com
More Info
Web Site: http://www.356sog.com/
 KTF, member #15

Albert Bione
356 Fan

#7 Post by Albert Bione »

Thanks Tom. I'll join SOG today. I did not know about the Group.

Timothy L Schabacker
356 Fan

#8 Post by Timothy L Schabacker »

I recommend a “Wanted “ ad on the Registry classified section. You will be able to designate model, color options—whatever. The ad will reach the most dedicated and knowledgeable group of 356 owners anywhere. These enthusiasts and experts will likely know of potentially available cars in their respective clubs or geographic areas.

I did this a little more than a year ago and was able to acquire a much nicer car than I had hoped for.The ad was up for less than 10 days. An honorable gentleman and long time member of the Registry responded, and the transaction went according to the pace he and I were comfortable with. As often mentioned in the Forum many times: Find the car and then “Buy the seller.”

Good luck!

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

Albert, I have simple advice. "Buy the seller before you buy the car". Know who who you are dealing with. Have a non-interested expert in the area look the car over, including on a lift so you can inspect the bottom. SOG has some really nice people and any of them will pitch in if asked. Contact Daryle Higgenbothem One of the nicest and knowledgeable guys in Georgia. ...............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You might want to look a this ex California car, Hood needs to be straightened: https://beautifulsurf.smugmug.com/1964-Porsche-356C/ For sale on Thesamba: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2559750
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

If you're not in a hurry, get as involved as you can in anything Porsche in your area. Put out the word you are looking for a car. Good cars tend to find good people and sometimes never see the open market, they just quietly get traded amongst friends. The side benefit to making lots of new Porsche friends is when you do find your car, you have a ready made group of friends to share it with! Good luck.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#12 Post by Michael Branning »

Good advice but be warned you will likely be approached by a scammer. A legit member will engage you personally. If it’s too good to be true and they act flakey, run away.
David Jones wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:16 am Albert, you would do well to post a wanted ad here in the classifieds as it will stay up for quite a while and easily be renewed. Specify all the criteria you can think off but also say if deviations from your specifics are in order. I would also recommend signing up for notifications for 356 models from the website of Bring a Trailer as most cars get torn to pieces by the commentators on the auctions. If there is something not quite right and it is pictured it will be commented on for sure. End result is that the cars usually sell for what they are probably worth except when 2 or more people want a car for unknown reasons, then sometimes the price reaches stupid money levels.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

Great advice Michael. Especially for a new member of the fraternity. ...............Jim.
Jim Liberty