Engine Repair

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
James Penland
356 Fan
Instagram: JamesPenland

Engine Repair

#1 Post by James Penland »

Howdy
I’m looking for an engine shop that can repair my B Normal engine. It was mistimed and now I have a valve divot in piston #1 and 3. Everything looks ok except that. Rotation, push rods, valve gaps. Engine was bore scoped in 2000 by Competition Motors in LA. #3 piston scored and replaced with Shastas. If you know of someone up to the tasks email me, please. Jim Penland
James Penland

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Engine Repair

#2 Post by David Jones »

James, I forget, where are you? Somewhere in the South west I believe, not Bahrain as your location suggests. There are a few shops in your area but If you let us know again where you are perhaps we can be more helpful.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

David, my partner does Chuck Young builds 30+ 356 motors a year. This is not a plug for me, as I am not an expert, we just share a shop. We are in Costa Mesa, CA, and have a web site. ......Jim.
Jim Liberty

James Penland
356 Fan
Instagram: JamesPenland

#4 Post by James Penland »

I moved back to the US and have located in South Georgia near the Fl line. 2 hours west of Jacksonville. I hope to find someone closer but will go where necessary. Thanks. JP
James Penland

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

James, the Florida owners group is very active. Contact them and I'm sure they will have a recommendation. Al Zim offers a rebuild service in Dallas TX.
You may also want to take a minute and update your profile.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Fernando at Buildwerks near Sarsota and Ray Morgan at VMRCARS in NW Georgia comem to mind. Bruce Baker retired to Lakeland Florida and is a possibility as I think he has built motors for Fernando. I know that Steve Hatfield in Fort Walton Beach in The Panhandle has built engines to sell. Hopefully the Atlanta folks can add to this list.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robert Bates
356 Fan

#7 Post by Robert Bates »

Carl Register in Melrose, FL is a retired Porsche Master Mechanic and takes on 356 work at his home shop. He has done multiple Porsche engines and transmissions for me over the years, and I've been very pleased.
Bob Bates
1962 356B Notchback
73 911S Targa
2003 996 Turbo