Thermostats

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Thermostats

#1 Post by David Jones »

Does anyone repair these.
Attachments
20220618_205211.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

Re: Thermostats

#2 Post by Don Gale »

I had a bellows replaced and oven brazed to its flanges back in the 90's at Fulton Bellows in Knoxville. Looks like they're still in business. You will need to slice yours open if it has failed to measure the metal thickness and corregation diameters. They may be able to match it up with an off the shelf size. I believe they are sealed but not sure if our thermostats are at ambient internal pressure or slightly pressurized when new. I would assume they are filled with air as opposed to some other gas.

https://fultonbellows.com/precision-bellows/
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dave Erickson »

David, I’ve seen the bellows fail like the one on the right if it was in an engine that caught fire. Is that what happened?

I have some extra bellows, so contact me off-line if you need a replacement.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#4 Post by David Jones »

I don't actually need a thermostat as all my cars have good ones but I have 2 spare engine that could use them but obviously I can swap them out if needed. Just would be nice to have good spares. I have one good spare and one that needs the coupling for the rod to thermostat. The one that has expanded too far is filled with ether by the smell when I tried to heat it up to remove the coupling. I think it will take someone who has special equipment to refill it and sweat the soldered joints back together while it is full of ether or however it is done. Outside my pay grade.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bil Brown »

I`ve got a box full of bad thermos......I test them by putting them under the hot water from the faucet.
Bill Brown

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

I think I’ve read somewhere how to redo them, didn’t sound that hard. Most of us don’t actually need them to function. I did once see a VW with ice forming on the outside of the carburetor, I suspect the inside had some too.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#7 Post by David Jones »

Martin, ice on a carb just below the venturi is the reason for carb heat on aircraft engines. In reply to Dave E, I have a spare thermostat and I have two needing repair. One only needs the coupling from thermostat to rod and the other as can be seen has expanded beyond sensibility and removing the coupling so ar is futile, all I do is melt the solder. Meanwhile the internet is my friend. Maybe I can repair mine, perhaps a winter project when the heat of the propane torch is not adding to todays 104 *F out there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=587449
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#8 Post by Jim Clement »

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#9 Post by Wes Bender »

That vendor is unclear on the true purpose of the thermostat in our cars, although he describes the intent correctly in one paragraph.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#10 Post by David Jones »

I read it as 90% VW and maybe 10% 356.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

If for some reason you have figured out that you no longer need the carburetor heat system ZIMZ offers a cover plate for each of the holes in the rear pan and a block off plate for the end of the lower air channel (2). These are substantially nicer than cutting the bottom off a vegetable can and screwing it to the sheet metal. They look factory. Dick Weiss also removes this heating system from engines he rebuilds.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#12 Post by David Jones »

Al you are probably 100% correct in not needing the carb heaters in Texas. However you may remember from your past residence in more northern climes that we have seasons and some are cold. I also prefer to keep my cars as stock as possible so that sometime in the future I do not have someone cursing my soul for removing part of my cars history.
I do concur with installing the blanking plates and I have one engine that I have done that with, mostly because it has a full flow oil filter and I bring one of the oil lines up through the left hand heater channel port but I did fabricate some covers for the heater box outlets. They don't need to look factory however, because very few folks will ever see them.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brian R Adams »

David Jones wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:05 pm Maybe I can repair mine, perhaps a winter project when the heat of the propane torch is not adding to todays 104 *F out there.
104f in ol' Kain-tuk, huh? Yikes. But, "it's a dry heat". 8)
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#14 Post by David Jones »

Actual was "only" 99, that was heat index. A storm came through and dropped temperature to 77.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Olivier Secheyron
356 Fan

#15 Post by Olivier Secheyron »

Dear 356 Registry forum members,
I managed o find a working thermostat for my 58A and bought the upper and lower rods and the ball socket. These are easy to find brand through our usual suppliers...
I'm still missing the bottom coupling from thermostat to rod and the top hexagon bolt per the pictures below.
>> Would anyone be willing to sell these items to me please?
20221226_141948551_iOS.jpg
20221226_141956013_iOS.jpg