Spots on the new paint on a '57A fuel tank

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wayne Arny
356 Fan

Spots on the new paint on a '57A fuel tank

#1 Post by Wayne Arny »

I needed to replace the fuel tank in my A coupe. I found a good one, cleaned it all up, sealed it, sanded and then painted it with POR-15. To keep the right look and cover the POR-15, I lightly sanded it and sprayed it with Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black "Engine Enamel." I thought everything was fine until I put some gas into the tank to make sure the fuel valve, or anything else, wasn't leaking.

In the process I spilled a couple of drops of gas on the top, and spots were left that I could not wipe off. What don't I understand about "engine enamel," and what do I need to do to get the spots off? Or do I need to respray it with something else?

Thanks in advance! Pictures below.

Wayne Arny

'57A Coupe
'60B Super-90 Cab
'01 Boxster S
Attachments
IMG_7190.jpg
IMG_7191.jpg
IMG_7192.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Spots on the new paint on a '57A fuel tank

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

You may need to experiment on what paint will withstand fuel. I’d bet the Eastwood Extreme chassis paint would do it. It can withstand soaking in brake fluid according to Vic, so I bet it’s true. Did you put your first coat of engine enamel on the por15 during that short half dry window when it will stick? If not nothing is ever going to have good adhesion.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

I use Eastwood Extreme Chassis paint. You'll need to let it cure completely. You still need to wipe off any drips off immediately. If you're into doing the best job, have a paint shop paint it with 2 - part enamel. ............Jim.
Jim Liberty

David Campbell
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Campbell »

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-ceramic- ... satin.html

The Eastwood company also makes a two part paint in a can and promises a petrol resistant finish. You must use a automotive paint respirator, when applying. The video from their website explains the benefits and why I went with it when I did my tank.

Their single stage Extreme Chassis paint is very tough too, but to me it lays on a bit more heavy. I used it too on front suspension and areas under the car.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bruce Smith »

Unless it's two-part, like Eastwood's, rattle can paint will not withstand gasoline. Engine enamel is usually listed as fuel resistant, but that's not the same as fuel proof. Gasoline is an excellent solvent, and will dissolve enamel paint unless removed immediately.
Bruce Smith

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

The Eastwood extreme chassis paint is single part but withstood Vic’s test of an overnight soak in brake fluid. That’s pretty impressive and makes me think a gasoline splash wouldn’t mar it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

Martin - Eastwood uses two component (2K) with a double chamber in the spray can. It's not your ordinary rattle can.
Bruce Smith

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Erickson »

Bruce Smith wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:03 pm Martin - Eastwood uses two component (2K) with a double chamber in the spray can. It's not your ordinary rattle can.
Bruce, that is accurate, but the Extreme chassis black is not a 2k product. The only Eastwood 2k chassis black is called ceramic chassis black, or to make things more confusing, in a spray can the ceramic chassis black is called 2k aero-spray chassis black.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

Right. The 1k type is quite impressive too. That’s the only one I’ve tried.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brian R Adams »

I wonder, what are new Dansk tanks painted with? It doesn't seem to show spots. (Neither did my original '59 tank, but I suppose it was lacquered.)
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)