Oil Filler Steam plus Brooklands Museum

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Oil Filler Steam plus Brooklands Museum

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, We are members of Brooklands Museum in Weybridge UK and love the place and support it when we can. If you've never been, and have any interest in the history of cars and or flight put it on your list of things to do, and in the last few of days we have attended a couple of events, in our '55, to support the Museum.

Day 1 was Thursday, damm hot for June over here, 33-34C, and when putting KCT in the garage, for some reason, I remembered the many posts about water collecting in the oil filler cap, so I popped the oil filler cap. KCT had a good run, got well up to temperature on fast roads and I was simply astonished at the amount of water that had condensed in the cap and surroundings and continued to steam off as the engine cooled. Have a look next time you take your car for a run

Today Sunday 19/6, we were invited to attend an event, driving tests, parade and 'concours', (Brooklands don't do the 'CONCOURS' it's about the car, not how clean & perfect it is), we did the parade and show, and we were delighted to be listed as representing The Museum, the Sunday Lunch is brilliant as well! For the parade we were behind a pre war, aero engined, straight exhaust, open valve monster, & I thought KCT wasn't turning over and was just getting out to see what was wrong when I realised I just couldn't hear the little 6V starter over the roar of this beast!

Anyway what a day, the forecast thunderstorms stayed away from us, lots of kids finger marks in and on the car, with Mums and Dads taking photos of their kids in the car. The Monster was soooo much more popular for that, it had 2 yes 2 of those rubber squeezy bulb horns with different tones!! how boring is a 6V push button compared to that!

Tiring yes, a bit stressfull yes, didn't realise the parade was a 'Show' and I have never driven KCT so spiritidly as I did when asked to 'parade' on the Brooklands Finishing Straight following the monster blasting away and with a pre war chain drive Fraser Nash bearing down in the rear view mirror whose driver wears those proper racing car shoes!!. Was it worth it OH YES, did I enjoy the glass or two when got home OH YES, including the glass or 3 of bubbles to celebrate a 1st .....result.

V&S
PS Not so much water/steam today, much cooler ambient temps around 20C, but will try to remember to pop the oil filler lid after each run from now on.
V. Gillespie

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Oil Filler Steam plus Brooklands Museum

#2 Post by David Jones »

Lucky you to have such a great day and actual sun.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Re: Oil Filler Steam plus Brooklands Museum

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

If you want to see what the 'monster' was look up Berliet Curtiss and the Frazer Nash was Juliens Grimwade's 1934 which he does proper racing in, hence the racing boots!
V. Gillespie