Optima 6 volt

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
tim noble
356 Fan

Optima 6 volt

#1 Post by tim noble »

Well my Optima is old and tired so I spent several hours calling and emailing dozens of venders, including several of our suppliers on this site. I couldn't locate one anywhere in the US and was told by reliable suppliers that they haven't been able to find any for nearly 2 years and several suggested the Porsche $350 dollar one. After searching on this forum I found a discussion where David Jones and others suggested vintage type 1 tractor/antique car batteries. I have located a couple but they are larger than the Optima and Porsche ones and I hesitate to buy one for my Convertible D (car is with a mechanic) because at 9 3/8 long they certainly won't fit under the original cover and I'm not sure they will clear the spare. Please offer any thoughts on this matter as its too nice to have the car in the garage. Thanks
Tim

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Optima 6 volt

#2 Post by David Jones »

Tim, I am still using tractor supply batteries and they fit under the cover on my 2 59 A cars with no issues. Take your cover with you to the store and check if it fits. I think you will find it will.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

tim noble
356 Fan

#3 Post by tim noble »

David
Excellent suggestion. That is all I need to know. Thanks for all your assistance.
Tim

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

Tim, I am in California and spent 10 months trying to find the correct 6 volt battery for my D, a 19L. I called everyone under the sun, farm supply houses, etc. I finally found one at the other end of the state and bought it. Before I got the 19L, I bought a slightly larger 6 volt battery from NAPA Auto Parts, a BCI No. 1. It fits under the D's battery cover but interferes with the spare. I have included a link to the Napa Battery. Good luck in your search.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7244 ... lsrc=aw.ds&

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

Have you tried the "Battery Mart". I bought a 6V Optima from them this year. ...........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Jim, if time is flying for you like it is for me, this year could have been three years ago. It’s disconcerting getting old
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dave Erickson »

My local O’Reilley’s has four different Optimas in stock, all 12V. Greg wrote an article about center tapping a 12V Optima to get 6V, which leads to this question: can a 12V Optima be rewired so the two 6V halves are in parallel rather than series?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#8 Post by David Jones »

The problem is getting a connection large enough to carry starting current from both sides of the separation. I doubt it is doable with any durability even if the connections could be made. Major change required to architecture.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#9 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Dave,
The cells in a battery are electrically separate, so if you can completely sever the connection, rather than just connect to it, then, yes, the two halves could be run in parallel. Charging might or might not be an issue, but if you center tap, unequal charging probably will be an issue.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#10 Post by Mark Roth »

I just bought a 6v Optima in Houston at Advance Auto Parts. It was manufactured in December 2021. Had to search around to find the store that stocked it. Also available to be shipped.
C25E270E-92D1-48A2-8716-D8779AAE4F95.png
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Walter Pennington
356 Fan

#11 Post by Walter Pennington »

Tim, I bought a 6 Volt Optima Battery from Speedway Motors on line. They're in Lincoln NN. I checked and they have them in stock.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#12 Post by David Jones »

There is no doubt that Optima AGM batteries are better in most all respects than a normal wet cell lead acid but I can buy 4 lead acid batteries for the same price as an Optima and even amortized over the life of the Optima (I am giving an Optima 12 years which may be overly optimistic) I think I still come out ahead, plus even if I replace each one every 4 years I always have a battery that is no more than that age. Until the cost is more in line with the standard lead acid I doubt I will buy one.
Possibly the best reason for an Optima is the obviation of acid leaks but properly maintained a standard lead acid will not leak acid which reminds me that an Optima is virtually maintenance free.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

tim noble
356 Fan

#13 Post by tim noble »

Thanks you for all the help. I spent about 4 hours on the phone and internet and did locate a type 1 for $160 at a tractor supply and was ready to take David's advice and bring the cover to test it. Then Peter noted that a type 1 could interfere with the spare. I had hoped for an Optima as I built a hold down that works perfectly and appreciate the sealed battery and have had 2 red tops in the last 16 tears that worked fine. I tried a few advanced Auto parts and got numerous different answers from - we can have it tomorrow, not available and 14 in stock at the wear house, which happens to be 15 minutes from my home. I could get one in a week or two so I tried at Speedway Motors and it hopefully arrives tomorrow. I have a 67 912 and the yellow top has been great for over 10 years or more so I can only hope this works out. Again, thanks for all the assistance.
Tim

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#14 Post by Greg Bryan »

I recently bought a 6V Optima at O'Reilly - it was about $200 plus core charge - they didn't have it in stock but got it in the next day.
Dave - regarding the center tap, I used two 6 volt optimas in series - I already had one 6V Optima in the car, so I added one new one. Most of the car is 12 volt and select circuits, horns, w/s wipers, instruments are 6 volt so I didn't have to use converters or have the parts changed to 12 volt.
Greg Bryan

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#15 Post by Larry Brooks »

Just bought 6v Optima on 3/9/22 from Battery Systems - $212.84