1959 A Coupe - Pre-Farbricated Upholstery Kits

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Nanette Reid
356 Fan

1959 A Coupe - Pre-Farbricated Upholstery Kits

#1 Post by Nanette Reid »

Hi guys. I've had a look on the forum for info on upholstery but can't find any advice on recommended pre-fabricated sets. I understand that getting them made outright by a shop is the better way to go, however, I'm located in Australia and my budget is tight, getting them as a kit helps me out considerably and (hopefully) ensures that they are as close to original as possible.

Note, I have also visited some upholsterers, but none here in SA have actually worked on a 59 A coupe and I'm loathe to part with my hard earned cash, only to find the finished product isn't correct. Sending interstate is not really an option either: out of sight, out of mind, and I don't have the time to be flying in and out to keep tabs on progress, additionally it's money I'd rather spend on restoration.

Anyone have some experience taking this route? Suggestions who to use/avoid/consider? I'm not concerned if the company is US, UK or EU based, just want to be sure the quality is there and that they are reliable. :)

TIA

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: 1959 A Coupe - Pre-Farbricated Upholstery Kits

#2 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I have had three cars done, sequentially, with Autos International in San Diego. My procedure was to have Autos do the seats on my frames and send the rest of the interior to my local guy. (I mount the door panels.) Autos had the necessary seat chrome plating done. I am very satisfied with their work. I think getting the seats right is quite difficult, that is why I had them do that part.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#3 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I agree that Autos Intl is a good way to go. Your local guy should be able to install their pre-made product. If you go that way, be sure your local guy learns from AI how to tie the seat centers down to get that "factory look". It's probably covered in the installation information, but you'll want to be sure it is.

They did the seats on two of my cars and I'm happy witht heir work.
 KTF, member #15

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I also used Auto's International for my 356C and had a recommended Michigan local with 356 interior experience install them with a strong comment that, as original, I wanted to sit IN my seats not ON my seats
Attachments
2014.3 356.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

+1 on Autos International. A good friend did it exactly that way. Shipped his seats, and installed the carpet and door cards himself. You cannot go wrong with Agustin. The owner. ........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#6 Post by Jim Clement »

I did it that way as well
when you are shipping your seats, if you take off the backs, you can pack them into a very reasonable sized box to minimize the shipping costs.
I as well installed my own door cards, and had a installer install teh rest.
I was luckey as my car was very close in year to the car in 'Neils Book" and as such he used that as a guide.

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#7 Post by Nanette Reid »

Thanks guys. Shipping the seats is out of the question for several reasons, but knowing that AI do ready-made seats and that those of you who've done it that way are happy, makes me happy too. :P

I'll touch base with them in the next couple of weeks to get prices - hoping the shipping and taxes here in Australia don't kill me!!