Fuel shutoff.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Re: Fuel shutoff.

#16 Post by Paul Ahnell »

+1 on Vic's remark. Have used is constantly for years on my driver. No problems at all.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#17 Post by Al Zim »

The Porsche petcock is not a fuel filter it is a SCREEN that lets smaller particles pass through. A FUEL FILTER is a metal encased (not plastic) paper material that traps extremely small particles. The location of the Petcock is a result of the tank design that would allow more space in the trunk for luggage. WHAT ABOUT THJE OTHER Air cooled car that is family related to the 356? Up to the end of August 1961 all the VW's had a reserve tank which translates to a fuel pick up that is lower than the normal pick up length. NO FUEL SHUT OFF WAS PROVIDED although fuel could be shut off by selecting a position between the reserve and normal pick up position. How many millions of cars did that encompass and how long were they on the road...in summation that is also in the millions. For the 1962 VW model year Car, Bus, and Pick Up they got a fuel gauge. No fuel shut off was provided. LOTS OF POOR MAINTAINANCE, NO HOUSE CLAMPS, TERRIBLE FUEL LINES THAT WERE NEVER INSPECTED OR SERVICED led to a plethora of fires. Even in the 356/912.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Mike Wilson »

Aren't there actually two filtering components in a petcock; the long "sock" over the tubes and the round filter that screws onto the petcock?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#19 Post by Brian R Adams »

David Jones wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:50 am Most of the large fuel retailers use Chevron Techron as their in house additive and it is put in at the distributor when the fuel tankers are refilled.
So you don't need to buy gas from Chevron stations to get Techron at the pump? (I'll run this by my buddy who owns many Chevron stations and bulk plants across two PNW states.)

As I recall Techron is available in small bottles at FLAPS, but it may not be an economical way to get it. (I wonder if Techron is the same as the former Techroline that Chevron marketed decades ago.)
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)