Reinstall rear Koni shocks?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Long
356 Fan

Reinstall rear Koni shocks?

#1 Post by Greg Long »

I've recently had the transaxle out and rebuilt... and I've re-installed the engine today and note that I can't get the top bolt on the rear shocks because the shock won't extend enough (need about another 1-2 inches). I have the bottom bolts on. Do I lower the car on the lift slowly and guide the top of the shocks into the shock towers? Or?

If I try to force the 'swing arm' (?) the entire car starts to rise up on the lift! Thanks. Greg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Reinstall rear Koni shocks?

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

If you put a jack under the shock mount it should raise up without a problem as long as your torsion bars are set to a normal height.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Zim »

Take the top of the shock off. Attach the bottom of the shock to the trailing arm then you can jack up the car from the bottom and easily install the top rubber cushions and turn the housing on the top of the shock while holding the nut for easy installation. Removing the rear axle tubes means that you have not set them back to factory specifications. The shop manual will show you how to do that.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Greg Long
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Long »

>>>> Removing the rear axle tubes means that you have not set them back to factory specifications. The shop manual will show you how to do that.

I had the transaxle / transmission rebuilt by shop here in Bellevue, WA... I'm assuming they set them to factory specifications; but do you mean I somehow have to install them specifically when putting back in the car? I just pushed the rear axle tubes right into the circular cut-out of the swing-arm (?). Do I have to do more than that? Thanks. Greg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Greg, just place a jack stand under the shock mount and slowly lower the car guiding the top mount into the mounting bracket.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Putting the axle tubes back onto the spring plates is an adjustment, there is a fourth bolt that is a stopper that might have been set correctly. If so your alignment could be ok but it would be best to set the alignment again.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Long
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Long »

I’ve got the thick factory manual and do t see any procedure or measurements to set this up. It just says ‘install hex bolts on both axle tube bearing flanges.’ Can you point me to where I can find this information? Thanks!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

The numbers would be the wheel alignment specs- camber angle adjusted via the torsion bar/spring plate settings, and toe in adjusted by sliding the axles in the slotted spring plate holes. Only the toe should be affected by the work you did. Also did you keep the front dual mount shims the same as how they were? They also affect the toe in.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

I do it like David J. ...............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Al Zim
356 Fan

#10 Post by Al Zim »

You can set the rear toe in. And you can set the front toe it! How do you set the front wheels so they are parallel to the rear wheels? Or was that how do you set the rear wheels so they are parallel to the front wheels? I think it has something to do with the centerline of the car. And how many times it has bumped a curb in the last 57 or more years.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#11 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Not having ready access to a lift, I just raise the bottom of the shock with the floor jack just enough to extend the shock top through the mount.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bill Lawless »

David Jones wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:00 pm Greg, just place a jack stand under the shock mount and slowly lower the car guiding the top mount into the mounting bracket.
+1, but car is no longer on the lifts safety locks.. Don't go under it!!!
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Greg Long
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Long »

Thanks all!