vin number dilemma

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

Re: vin number dilemma

#61 Post by Jay Darlington »

Brian R Adams wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:50 pm
jay darlington wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm
Jules Dielen wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:37 pm The engine number listed on Jay's title is from a december 56 T1 coupe. You will have a helluva time explaining to the mvd that your title has anything to do with a 58 cab.
so where did you get this information and is this engine still out there?
Jay D.
Eric Cherneff's DB?

http://www.356a.com/searchengine.php?se ... art+Search

Or Brett Johnson's Chassis (and engine) Number List (linked to at this Registry page: https://porsche356registry.org/content. ... _id=506611).
-
so i looked up some numbers my engine #should be as per my COA # 68682 in an early 1958 356 A the search above shows this to be true. as far as engine numbers it was apr. 10 years old when i received it it could of had a half dozen engines put in it who knows? i will say its HIGHLY irresponsible to use an engine number as a way to identify car. i'm with the idea that way back in 58 some DMV person used the engine number as a serial number for car identification. this person likely didn't look at the numbers correctly and viewed them as 63632, when it should have been 68682. the 8's were most likely not stamped completely, light on one side looking like 3's. the title went though several changes up to now and NO one has ever searched the title to see if it had the correct number on it. i changed it twice and the DMV person just copied the existing wrong numbers.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#62 Post by Jay Darlington »

Greg Scallon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:13 pm Doug,
How does having the original chassis numbers intact help out here when they don't match the title?

-Greg
here lies the problem. someone way back in 67 or 58 used the engine number as a chassis number, BIG mistake, and then read it wrong. BUT that has no meaning, the engine could have been changed numerous times and caused the problem i have now.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#63 Post by Martin Benade »

So it sounds like your car’s current title information was from after it was old enough to have a used engine installed. Previously it must have been titled either with its original engine or the body number, and might have been in a different state too. Unless you can get that 1956 engine back it will be nearly impossible to prove that the car belongs to you.
I am not sure if this is still being done but not too long ago you could launder the paperwork back to the body number in a state that has lax rules and rely on a bill of sale. There are companies that will help for a fee. I am afraid that a 100 percent legitimate solution may not exist.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#64 Post by Jules Dielen »

Are you sure you got the right title from the seller when you bought the car Jay? Does it say coupe or convertible as body type? Or is that not listed?
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#65 Post by Jay Darlington »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:10 pm So it sounds like your car’s current title information was from after it was old enough to have a used engine installed. Previously it must have been titled either with its original engine or the body number, and might have been in a different state too. Unless you can get that 1956 engine back it will be nearly impossible to prove that the car belongs to you.
I am not sure if this is still being done but not too long ago you could launder the paperwork back to the body number in a state that has lax rules and rely on a bill of sale. There are companies that will help for a fee. I am afraid that a 100 percent legitimate solution may not exist.
so what if that engine no longer exist? as i said before the engine that was in it when the previous own had it when BANG the only parts that survived were the heads and some of the outside components, carbs, tin, cooler, exhaust. the case, crank, rods, 3rd part all went in the scrap box. he bought parts form a local Porsche Audi dealer and i'm not positive but i think bought a block assembly but not sure as it leaked everywhere.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#66 Post by Martin Benade »

You may be forced to get creative and not talk about it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#67 Post by Jules Dielen »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:59 pm You may be forced to get creative and not talk about it.
+1. as it sits right now, you do not own 150066.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#68 Post by Brian R Adams »

Jules Dielen wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:29 pm as it sits right now, you do not own 150066.
Who does own it then?
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#69 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

When I moved to Georgia, I was unable to obtain a Georgia Title for my 1960 Cab. They do not issue titles for cars manufactured prior to them issuing titles. They would not take the Texas Title. Georgia did not issue titles in 1960. Ownership transfers were via a bill of sale, listing the vin of the car. When taken to the DMV, it transferred the ownership. Scary stuff, that, if you own an older car in Georgia. Or Alabama. Georgia Registration, when taken to a Title state gets you a Title.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... le.162963/
1960 Super Cabriolet, 1963 S90 Coupe
Registry #311
Owned Porsche 356s continuously since 1978
(wow, made 45 years of ownership on the 60 Cab!)

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#70 Post by Jay Darlington »

Jules Dielen wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:32 pm Are you sure you got the right title from the seller when you bought the car Jay? Does it say coupe or convertible as body type? Or is that not listed?
body style is listed as 2D normally 2 doors, could be anything.
Jay D.
jay darlington

John Clarke
356 Fan

#71 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Jay D
When do we get to hear the outcome of all this?
I can sympathise, as we bought our RHD Ex UK registered 61 Coupe with no documents at all ! back in 1999.
The car was 'exported' to Guernsey in the Channel Islands UK. Given and carrying a new Channel Islands Registration Number.
On buying this car, We wanted this car so much, we had to take every scrap of the car's very limited Identity to the local DVLA here in the UK (DMW ?) and a receipt of purchase, And a COA from Porsche.
AND a Sympathetic ear from the local DVLA Officer ( make friends with that Person ! ), who then issued us with a New 'Age Related' Registration Number and V5 Document !
Phew
Wish You well in your challenge. And it would appear from Us Over here that all of the different States of the USA have very different rules from each other !
I would think it all comes down to whether the DMV Officer You encounter is 'Having A Good day'
Best wishes Jay C

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#72 Post by Jay Darlington »

the weather here is supposed to clear Tuesday and or Wednesday, i'm going to the DMV and look the beast in the eye and see what happens.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

I would call ahead to find out who at the RMV knows old cars

#73 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The "right" person can really help you avoid a frustrating and possible long wait.
 KTF, member #15

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#74 Post by Martin Benade »

I’d start by bringing only a copy of the title and leave the car at home, you’ll be in better shape in case it goes badly.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#75 Post by Jay Darlington »

Martin i allready went down and talked to them a couple weeks ago and the lady wants to see the car.
Jay D.
jay darlington