vin number dilemma

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

Re: vin number dilemma

#31 Post by Jay Darlington »

SPIKE JONES wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:04 pm Jay,
Per the Kardex, my '58 cab was built 12/23/1957. VIN # 150121. You say the build date on yours is 2/11/1958 and VIN # is 150066.
So, yours was built over 2 months later and yet 55 vin #'s earlier than mine???????
Makes no sense, even given all I have read about how inconsistent Porsche was then.
Spike
P.S. Good luck in getting this resolved.
thats what the numbers say.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#32 Post by Victor Ingram »

Jay,

I had a very similar challenge in Maryland, many years ago w/a 59 coupe. The title had motor number listed as the VIN number. As luck would have it I had a friend who was a Maryland State Trooper. I called in a favor and he came to look at the coupe, he traced the VIN motor number to a stolen Harley Davidson. We both had a good laugh and obviously knew it was not a Harley OR a Harley motor. My friend was kind enough to give me a State trooper card with the correct Vin number on it, he told me "if you get any resistance, give them my card and ask them to call me"! I explained the error and the DMV person was very helpful so I did not have to use his card.
With that said, you "may' or "may not" get so lucky. It may behoove you to leave the motor number on the Title to avoid all of the hassle. As long as the motor stays with the car, you should be fine.
Just a suggestion
Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#33 Post by Jules Dielen »

Victor, the problem Jay has is that it is also not the original engine, nor the engine number currently in the car.... i am at a loss how to prove ownership on this one
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#34 Post by Martin Benade »

Fixing this could backfire. I think discussing it with expert help like Ron LaDow suggested seems like a good idea.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#35 Post by Jay Darlington »

Jules Dielen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:51 pm Victor, the problem Jay has is that it is also not the original engine, nor the engine number currently in the car.... i am at a loss how to prove ownership on this one
YES my engine has NO number.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#36 Post by Greg Scallon »

Jay,
Considering the strange and extreme situation you're in, you could consider stamping your engine with the number on the title, then going through the process of switching the title to the true VIN. It's not like you'd be attempting to pass off the engine as original because it's not the same number as the original. And you wouldn't be tampering with the VIN, which is illegal.

OK, maybe none of that is 100% kosher, but it could work.

Good luck!
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#37 Post by Mike Smith »

#30 Post by SPIKE JONES » Wed May 04, 2022 8:04 pm

Jay,
Per the Kardex, my '58 cab was built 12/23/1957. VIN # 150121. You say the build date on yours is 2/11/1958 and VIN # is 150066.
So, yours was built over 2 months later and yet 55 vin #'s earlier than mine???????
Makes no sense, even given all I have read about how inconsistent Porsche was then.
Spike
Spike, get yourself a copy of Neil`s Book (Di at the 356 Goodie Store) - look at Page 9 - this is a Photo of one of the production Books
It will give you some indication of the inconsistency of Build dates
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#38 Post by Bill Lawless »

I agree with Greg, much easier to get a title already in your name changed then prove an ownership trail with the wrong numbers..

let us know how you made out.
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#39 Post by Jon Schmid »

Another issue that I have had in CA is that the DMV apparently has issues with 5 digit chassis numbers/VIN when it comes to proof of insurance, even when you provide the info as required when you register the car each year. I would get dun notices a few months later stating that my registration was "suspended" due to no proof of insurance. And AAA can't help you there, either--you have to go to the DMV. :x No problems with my 6 digit numbered coupe. Just something else of which to be aware... :?

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#40 Post by Wes Bender »

Greg Scallon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 pm Jay,
Considering the strange and extreme situation you're in, you could consider stamping your engine with the number on the title, then going through the process of switching the title to the true VIN. It's not like you'd be attempting to pass off the engine as original because it's not the same number as the original. And you wouldn't be tampering with the VIN, which is illegal.

OK, maybe none of that is 100% kosher, but it could work.

Good luck!
-Greg
Two wrongs will not make a right. It would possibly get you in trouble. Follow Ron's advice and get expert advice.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#41 Post by Brian R Adams »

Jules Dielen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:51 pm Victor, the problem Jay has is that it is also not the original engine, nor the engine number currently in the car.... i am at a loss how to prove ownership on this one
Seems to me that "possession is nine points of the law". Absent some outstanding warrant or claim on the car (discovered via some perfunctory search) one ought to be able to demonstrate ownership by simply possessing it. I know, I know ...
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#42 Post by Brian R Adams »

Victor Ingram wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:40 pm Jay,

I had a very similar challenge in Maryland, many years ago w/a 59 coupe. The title had motor number listed as the VIN number. As luck would have it I had a friend who was a Maryland State Trooper. I called in a favor ...
I had the same situation when I bought my second 356, a '59 coupe. The title referenced the engine number. But, happily, the original engine was still in the car. In those early '80s days, Nevada DMV was staffed by middle-aged people of sufficient intelligence and common sense. I drove the car to the inspection area, pointed out the engine number and proper VIN on the car, and, without any COA or Kardex, had it sorted out within twenty minutes. The chap simply took my word for everything. I wouldn't want to have to challenge our DMV staff like that today.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#43 Post by Jay Darlington »

normally i could just leave it as is. but i would rather get it sorted out now. i have friends in the VW world and have heard from them about the sheriffs dept. raiding VW car shows and checking vin numbers and titles. i believe this happened at the Sacramento show several years ago, they have hit the hot rod group also. no sense taking a chance. they use to be ruthless here, the sheriff dept raided a county fair checking all the ranchers pickups for non taxed diesel fuel. they dipped your tank and it better had not come up red, fines were high.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#44 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Jay Find your nearest Sate Police Post and stop in and talk to a State Police person. In Michigan there is a Stae Police person in each area of the State specially trained to do VIN checks. Perhaps Oregon is the same? Certainly there in Oregon they have seen California cars titled by engine number before. It wasn't uncommon back in the day. After all None of our cars fit the Modern VIN system.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#45 Post by John Hearn »