Hot starting issue

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Hot starting issue

#1 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I've recently replaced the started in my 6v A. I replaced a VW type with another vw type. After a hot drive, engine over 210, the starter refused to turn. I have an in dash amp meter so I can see the starter drawing 30 plus amps but not engaging and trying to turn the fly wheel. I cleaned all the contact points when I put the new starter in. I also have a relay in place. I've read that the solenoid can get heat soaked? My guess is that somehow the solenoid is getting stuck. I read on here about Harry Pellow hitting it with a hammer. I'm not sure what the answer is. I have the old starter out of the car so I might try to service that?

John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: Hot starting issue

#2 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Neil
Give Paul a call at PRS. He's near You? He will sort it. Sounds like a stuck solenoid, The preferred 'Turkey / Emergency method is a light tap with said hammer!
Regards Jay

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Thank you. It will start perfectly now it's cooled down.
Last edited by Neil Bardsley on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I'm thinking about installing a heat shield like this

https://www.agriemach.com/p401-starter- ... eld-7-x-22

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Make sure you check all your grounds, the one in the battery box especially. A little corrosion will cause the car to not want to start when hot. Clean them real good with a wire brush, it might do the trick.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

That heat shield is to shield from adjacent radiated heat like from an exhaust manifold. On a Porsche or VW it will just help to keep the heat in the starter after shutdown.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Adam Wright wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:45 am Make sure you check all your grounds, the one in the battery box especially. A little corrosion will cause the car to not want to start when hot. Clean them real good with a wire brush, it might do the trick.
Thank you. I've cleaned and double cleaned all the contact points. I've actually replaced the battery earth strap/wire.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#8 Post by Al Zim »

Have your old starter rebuilt..Find a reputable rebuilder. We have rebuilt starters in stock (2) ready to ship. With an ohm meter check the first 2 feet of the cable that runs to the starter and attaches to the battery. Sometime the corrosion is in the cable itself...it has been a minimum of 57 years since they were new.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

John Clarke
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Clarke »

Sounds like another Ad to Me ! :o

Al Zim
356 Fan

#10 Post by Al Zim »

Mr. Clark et all ! This is an advertisement! I have written advertisements for products that other vendors sell exclusively. NO KICKBACKS FOR ZIM'S!
If you have a method for assisting our members in finding parts I will be glad to pay you for your ideas. We spend hundreds of thousand of dollars on parts and outside machine work and thusly we have knowledge. Other parts suppliers have knowledge, for sure. But Zim's is one of the few large facilities that sells parts and actually repairs 356 automobiles continually. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

Al Zim wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:21 pm Have your old starter rebuilt..Find a reputable rebuilder. We have rebuilt starters in stock (2) ready to ship. With an ohm meter check the first 2 feet of the cable that runs to the starter and attaches to the battery. Sometime the corrosion is in the cable itself...it has been a minimum of 57 years since they were new.
Al, could you walk me through the procedure of using an ohmmeter to check the first 2 feet of that cable? Try as I might, I can't get it to check very much less than the entire length. Granted, I'm not an electrical engineer, but it should be a simple operation one would think. Do you strip any of the wire? Maybe probe the cable with a needle? How does Zim's do it in the shop?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

John Clarke
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Clarke »

Why The Capital Letters Al?
Just send a PM to Neil. Don't get the arse! We all know our cars age and there seems to be many very talented artisans in the States that are more than capable of keeping these old cars on the road. We do value the services that You provide, but we don't like being shouted at !
Regards Jay

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brian R Adams »

David Jones wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:58 am That heat shield is to shield from adjacent radiated heat like from an exhaust manifold. On a Porsche or VW it will just help to keep the heat in the starter after shutdown.
We need one made of material akin to Gore-Tex, but one-way transfer of heat rather than moisture.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Erickson »

neilbardsley wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:07 am I read on here about Harry Pellow hitting it with a hammer.
I used to have a VW bus with the same problem. A long breaker bar was the perfect tool to rap the starter with from outside the wheel.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#15 Post by Brian R Adams »

DaveErickson wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:41 pm
neilbardsley wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:07 am I read on here about Harry Pellow hitting it with a hammer.
I used to have a VW bus with the same problem. A long breaker bar was the perfect tool to rap the starter with from outside the wheel.
Just install a solenoid of some sort (from a pinball machine?) positioned to rap the side of the starter when you push a button under the dash. But where to mount it?
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)