Member cars

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Member cars

#16 Post by Spencer Harris »

C J Murray wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:04 pm Ok. I don't know what Pellow called that number. Does it have an exact correct name?
I don't know if "Engine Build Number" is the correct name, but this is a good reference photo someone posted a couple years ago. Pairing Numbers on each case half would match the Pairing Number on the timing cover on a "matching number" case.
356 Case number locations.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#17 Post by Mike Smith »

#14 Post by C J Murray » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:04 pm
Ok. I don't know what Pellow called that number. Does it have an exact correct name?
Cliff,
To ensure that I was not posting bad information I asked James Davis for his opinion - Herewith his reply
Yes, “case casting number” is a name made up by Pellow. Inaccurate.

Porsche labels this number “internal number” on page 1 of the 1954 Service Manual.
It was stamped at the time the engine was assembled.
There’s also photos of this process from 1954 from the factory.

James
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#18 Post by C J Murray »

I have added the new question to track the engine "Internal Number" in the Current Configuration section.

I intend to add the same question to the Engines Owned section but I am thinking about how best to do that. There are 3 bits of data that might be of use to a buyer, serial number, internal number, and engine type.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#19 Post by Spencer Harris »

C J Murray wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:53 am I have added the new question to track the engine "Internal Number" in the Current Configuration section.

I intend to add the same question to the Engines Owned section but I am thinking about how best to do that. There are 3 bits of data that might be of use to a buyer, serial number, internal number, and engine type.
Pairing numbers are useful if you're interested in having the 3rd piece match the crankcase halves.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#20 Post by Wes Bender »

Those repeated no less often than every 1000 engine casting halves.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

C J Murray
356 Fan

#21 Post by C J Murray »

Remember that 912 engines do not have a pairing number on the 3rd piece. I think that we need a tech article about the various means to identify engine cases and other major engine components. There might be one already.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#22 Post by Spencer Harris »

Wes Bender wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 pm Those repeated no less often than every 1000 engine casting halves.
Huh, never thought of that. Makes sense with 2 and 3-digit numbers. I just finished going through a friend's inventory of parts, and matching timing covers to crankcases - but there were only four motors, and no repeats!
C J Murray wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:09 pmRemember that 912 engines do not have a pairing number on the 3rd piece.
Thankfully, there was only one 912 case and TC, so they're matched up.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jonathan Knoerdel
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jonathan Knoerdel »

On a 64 C how many places does the 3 piece crankcase have the engine serial numbers

Jonathan Knoerdel
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jonathan Knoerdel »

so the engine build number has the last few numbers of the engine serial number?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#25 Post by Martin Benade »

Engine number is only on the timing cover (third piece). The engine build number or parts matching number is on all three pieces, but not related to engine number. It just shows if the parts belong together.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jonathan Knoerdel
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jonathan Knoerdel »

I am look at a 64 C and am told it has matching numbers and want to inspect it eyes wide open, try not to miss a thing. Thanks!

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#27 Post by Spencer Harris »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm Engine number is only on the timing cover (third piece). The engine build number or parts matching number is on all three pieces, but not related to engine number. It just shows if the parts belong together.
Martin, I think Jonathan is referring to the internal number (erroneously labeled build no. on the pic I posted). The internal number is stamped on the exterior boss adjacent to the engine type, and I believe on the inside of both case halves. I'll have to look at some spare timing covers to confirm, but I don't think the internal number was stamped on them - only the engine number and pairing number. The pairing numbers are stamped on all three pieces.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClu ... 3GWxNYI%3D
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#28 Post by Wes Bender »

Jonathan, the term "matching numbers" means that the car has the same serial number engine that was in it when it left the factory. The engine serial number and the chassis number would both be present on a Kardex. The engine serial number on a C would be on the 3rd piece (timing cover). These have been sometimes tampered with by unscrupulous sellers, so compare a picture of the engine serial number on the car you are considering with pictures of other engines that you can find on this forum and make sure that the typeface and other markings are legitimate. If you are unsure, post a photo of the engine number here. You'll know soon enough.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#29 Post by Dave Erickson »

Wes Bender wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:51 pm Jonathan, the term "matching numbers" means that the car has the same serial number engine that was in it when it left the factory.
I don’t think a car is matching numbers unless it has the same serial number as shown on the Kardex, *and* all three pieces of the case have the same case i.d. There are a lot of engines out there where the third piece has been mated with an engine from a different car, usually a 912.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#30 Post by David Jones »

I was under the impression that matching numbers meant chassis, engine (all 3 pieces) transmission, and most of the removable pieces either with the last 3 numbers of the chassis or date stamped close to build date.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715