Member cars

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Member cars

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Cliff, whom I love dearly (not as much as my wife, however) has asked that I enter VINs of the 356s I own or have owned. The two currently owned are easy enough, but I need some guidance on what box to click, which menu to pull down, which tab to select, etc, in order to do so. Not clear to me at least.
The other 8 or 10 or so will remain in hard-copy records in the attic until, well, who knows.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Member cars

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Well, the new site is subject to issues also.
Submitted, said 'not enough characters', copied, pasted, got two of them.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Love you too Ron!

To enter a car you start at the top right of the home page, while logged in, and click "Profile" to get to your personal information and the features that only you control. VIN History Records is found there and you click that to enter or edit your cars. Click Add Porsche 356 to enter the car. The first 2 pages of the entry each have 3 questions that must be answered, indicated by a red dot. Not answering those 6 questions will cause an error that stops you from entering the car. The answer to "Status" must be "Active". Always hit Save if you have made changes and wish to exit the program. When you go back to edit your car click the pencil icon shown at the bottom of the box for that car. You can go back as many times as you wish to edit or add information about your car. I encourage creating a photo album to really show off your car. I'm not smarter than a 5th grader and even I can do it!

NOTE, due to member feedback we are likely to change "VIN History Records" to something like "Chassis Number....." so a label may change but not the procedure.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

Ron, I just entered my 356C. I was able to do it, but it wasn't very "user-friendly" or intuitive. You have to jump around a bit to finally get to the place where you enter the data. (I called up Cliff's instructions on one computer and then used a second one to finally navigate my way to it.) I suspect that, between security issues and the limitations of the website software, it is about as easy as it will get. I was also stopped a few times when trying to enter my Kardex info. Even though your engine number listed on the Kardex and stamped on your engine contains a "P", it won't let you enter it. Also, the delivery date on the Kardex is Day.Month.Year, you can't enter it that way. It needs to be Month/Day/Year. Otherwise, it all works. Try printing out Cliff's instructions, pop the top on a cool one and open the Main website and give it another try.

The VIN history records are down in the Your Website Functions box. Also, when you are entering data you will need to drop down to the bottom of each page and click on "Next" to get to the next data entry page. As Cliff says, don't forget to click on Save before leaving.

Cliff, a quick question. Where should one enter the engine Assembly Number, case casting dates and the case matching number? I know that isn't particularly critical info, but it does help tie down authenticity in some cases.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

We are changing the database name to Chassis Number History to be more in alignment with the correct terms used during 356 production.
Wes Bender wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:48 pm Cliff, a quick question. Where should one enter the engine Assembly Number, case casting dates and the case matching number? I know that isn't particularly critical info, but it does help tie down authenticity in some cases.
Hi Wes, I had to draw the line somewhere. I have to give your suggestion more thought but maybe the Assembly Number could be added since it does really mean something special. I do worry that we already have too many questions to answer covering too many points of minutia. I really like to know all the details about every car when possible. The optional equipment list is very long but I am certain that I missed some things. With the existence of the Reutter records there are even more variations that we can track.

Because not all car owners care enough to buy the Porsche or Reutter data the first part of the entering of the cars is the simple nitty gritty that any car owner can confirm very easily. Those questions say a lot about the cars in the club. I know how many T6 coupes were built by Reutter and how many were built by Karmann. How many are Normals, Supers, or S 90? It is there. Using the Kardex/CoA section you can see how many cars had a specific option. This is all available from a long list of search items.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

"To enter a car you start at the top right of the home page, while logged in, and click "Profile" to get to your personal information and the features that only you control."

Using MS Edge as a browser since Firefox did a wonderful upgrade several months ago which locked out of most of the windows commonly in use.
In Edge, the profile which shows up when clicking that 'head/shoulders' icon is per the attached image:
Profile menu.jpg
Has anyone else entered the data using Edge? I might well be missing something.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#7 Post by Mike Smith »

Wes Bender Comments,

Cliff, a quick question. Where should one enter the engine Assembly Number, case casting dates and the case matching number? I know that isn't particularly critical info, but it does help tie down authenticity in some cases.
The (so Called) Case Casting Number (more likely the Case Machining Date) is the only consecutive number on the case and does therefore determine the Month/Year of manufacture and is therefore an interesting and I submit - a critical number (yes I know that the date is also in the timing gear area but this not somewhere that any of us examine on a regular basis)

This makes the Case Number an important and interesting number and should be registered in the records

These records need to contain every scrap of information that we each have available, not just on the engine but the complete vehicle
It is these small scraps that enable Brett and the people interested in 356 history to build a picture of the Date Changes occurring on each of the numerous parts on our cars.

If they are not included from day one, I seriously doubt how many owners will return to add or correct their first entries; therefore that information is lost to us all
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

John Clarke
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mike
And wasn't Porsche rather lapse themselves with production dates and numbering etc. Not being in perfect order and grabbing whatever items that were on the shelves at the time.
60 -70 Years on, it is real hard trying to keep the original parts together after being rebuilt ( probably more than once) ! To keep a supposed 'Matching Numbers' Car. Yet alone keeping and feeding a Database on all this info!
You are all doing a great job, though.
Regards Jay

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Ron,
You are not starting on the Home Page of our website. You must log into the Porsche 356 Registry website as your first step. Then place your cursor over your name at the top right of the home page for our club website. Then you click "Profile", then you will see VIN History(changing to Chassis History soon). Then click Add Porsche 356. If you have already entered the car it will show with a pencil icon which is clicked to edit that entry.
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.34.05 AM.png
NEXT SCREEN
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.41.37 AM.png
NEXT SCREEN
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.42.20 AM.png
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Mike Smith wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:03 am This makes the Case Number an important and interesting number and should be registered in the records
Hi Mike. The number that you are speaking of is the number stamped onto the boss for the case bolt opposite the engine type(616/1 etc), right?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm pretty sure he means that number a nd Mike, that's what I referred to as the Assembly Number. The case casting dates that I referred to are the dates cast into each case half and that are visible only if you remove the third piece.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

Cliff,
ASSUMED I was logged in to the home page on opening; logging in made all the difference. Got the Speedster and the C coupe will go in soon.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#13 Post by Mike Smith »

Clif - The number that you are speaking of - Hi Mike is the number stamped onto the boss for the case bolt opposite the engine type(616/1 etc), right?
Yes Cliff - It is a 5 or 6 Digit Number

We store all our spare cases along the shelves in numerical order, - left to right - using this number
We then know that the first case on the left is the earliest case that we have in stock (usually a 55 Case) and the last case on the right is the latest case (a 64/65 case)
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#14 Post by C J Murray »

Ok. I don't know what Pellow called that number. Does it have an exact correct name?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

Harry called it the Case casting number, but that wasn't correct. He did so because he was trying to tie it to the casting dates. It is better to relate it to the assembly sequence because it was stamped into the case at the end of the build process. Most call it an engine assembly number (or something similar).