Member cars

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Member cars

#31 Post by Wes Bender »

I probably should have also included those too, but he seemed more concerned with the engine and was unclear on what he was looking for on it. Might have confused the issue for him if I took it further as Dave E has stated. When folks put an original 3rd piece on a 912 engine, the relationship of the engine serial number on the third piece and the engine internal number sequence and the engine type will probably give them away. I.e. serial number on a '64 engine third piece matched to an internal number that falls somewhere in '66 or something similar.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#32 Post by Martin Benade »

I am sure some people will flex the definition to match what they have.
On my car I am sure the only matching numbers are the three pieces of my (wrong) case. I suspect my fuel filler door is original too but it has no number.
As for my post #25 I thought the internal number and the case matching number were the same thing- I see I was incorrect.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#33 Post by Wes Bender »

The case matching numbers were stamped into the raw castings when the machinist did his magic on the three pieces and they needed to be kept together. They only needed two or three digit numbers because they wouldn't normally have ever had anywhere near 1000 cases sitting there machined and ready for assembly. The internal number (that Harry incorrectly called a case casting number) would have made a far better engine serial number than putting one on the third piece. That would have screwed up their scheme of having each engine type have a separate series of numbers, but it would have precluded the simple swapping of parts to retain a somewhat phony "original" engine. It's unfortunate that the engine assembly number wasn't listed on the Kardex.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#34 Post by Dave Erickson »

I would expect that Porsche kept track of engines by the internal numbers. It would be interesting to know what information they tracked for each engine.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#35 Post by Spencer Harris »

Porsche Production Book - 1957.JPG
This is from August '57, and all cars look to be A-T1 models. Evidently, during the A production Porsche used the engine designations of 1600 or 1600S for pushrod engines rather than the internal type 616/1 and 616/2. From this one page snapshot, it looks like they did the same for 1300s, though there's only one listed. For four-cam engines they used the 547 moniker.
The terrific article by Dick Koenig that this is taken from is in the "Factory Numbers" section under the Technical tab:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClu ... LtXaaKs%3D
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#36 Post by Mark Roth »

Moderator note:
Posted links to the main website document library do not work. If you see “Amazon” in the address, the link will not work. In the post above, go to the website, Technical>Porsche Factory Numbers, then “The Factory Records of Carrera ……..” in the bottom center panel.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#37 Post by Spencer Harris »

Note for clarification: in the footnotes below the production book page, it should read:
Typ: Engine type or model;
Getriebe-Nr.: Transaxle or gearbox number;
etc.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#38 Post by Dave Erickson »

Spencer, thanks for posting that. Now wouldn’t it be cool if Porsche would provide a copy of other pages?

I used to own a 57 coupe with the original 1300 motor; didn’t realize they were more rare than Carrera’s!

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#39 Post by Spencer Harris »

DaveErickson wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:17 pm Spencer, thanks for posting that. Now wouldn’t it be cool if Porsche would provide a copy of other pages?
I used to own a 57 coupe with the original 1300 motor; didn’t realize they were more rare than Carrera’s!
Yes, it would be fun to look through the production books. This is the only page I recall ever seeing, but there may be more out there.

In August '57 they would've been fazing out the 1300s, but they managed to make 1,370 combined 1300 and 1300S during the calendar year. Total type 547 production from '55 through '57 was 458 units, so the 4-cams still bring the big bucks :wink:
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#40 Post by Mike Smith »

Notice that the 4-Cam Engines received 20 Litres of Fuel
All the others received 10 Litres

Rl in the Bemerk Column denotes Rechtslenkung (Right Hand Drive)
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)