Starter relay

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: Starter relay

#16 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Yes, you only need to change some terminals.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#17 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Brian R Adams wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:49 pm Could I take a kit designed for installation at the starter and put it under the dash instead?
-
Yes, you only need to change some terminals.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#18 Post by David Jones »

Brian, make your own. Here is one version I made. I can dig out the specs if you need them. The configuration is the same for different manufacturers.
Attachments
IMG_2587.jpeg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#19 Post by David Jones »

Two different relays, do the same thing. On Amazon.
TEMCo Industrial 6 V 30/40 Amp Bosch Style S Relay SPDT Automotive
Attachments
20211014_103839_001.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brian R Adams »

David,

I really like the simplicity of what you show there, if that's all there is to it.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#21 Post by David Jones »

Easy Brian, that really is all there is to it. One ring terminal, 4 male bullets, 1 female bullet interconnector, 4 x 1/4" quick connects and 2 x 0.187 quick connects. A soldering iron and a crimping tool. Relay cost about $5. I used bullet connectors from old harnesses I scavenged and the quick connects I always have dozens of.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#22 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

I think these are the connections and terminals for the SSR behind the dash
ssr dash1.jpg

using this type of relay , shown is a 12V but the same connections for a 6V relay
relay 80A.jpg

and here the connections and terminals for the relay near the starter
ssr starter1.jpg

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#23 Post by David Jones »

Nicely laid out Hugo.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#24 Post by Brian R Adams »

Hugo,

In the "SSR behind the dash" cable layout, what does the female bullet ("was in 50") now connect to?

Also, did those blue plastic crimp collars come on the bullet connectors shown?
-

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#25 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

It should read "cable that was in 50 on the starter switch, it is the cable that goes to the starter solenoid. I am using a female bullet connector instead of the bullet to bullet splice in the Euganeo diagram.

The blue plastic crimp collars come on the bullet connectors, I should have used soldered bullets when Itook the picture but I did not have any.
Those crimp type connectors come in two sizes, one slightly larger and the other slightly smaller than the metric bullet connectors, I suggest to use metric soldered bullets for this application.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#26 Post by Peter Silten »

Here is a photo and a guide to my behind-the-dash setup:

The relay has four male spade connections 85, 86, 87 and 30.

1. The wire running from 85 on the relay is the ground wire and connects to one of the gauges (the green wire);

2. The wire running from 86 on the relay plugs into the # 50 receptacle on the ignition switch (the red wire with the male bullet);

3. The wire running from 87 on the relay has a female bullet that the # 50 wire plugs into (the black wire with the female bullet);

4. The wire running from 30 on the relay plugs into one of the empty #30 receptacles on the ignition switch (the yellow wire with the male bullet).
Attachments
2E49412B-E9E1-4C1D-AC4C-44AD3B2DAEEB.jpeg

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#27 Post by Brian R Adams »

Ok, it all makes sense now. Thanks guys!

-

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#28 Post by Neil Bardsley »

The reason that the relay is placed near the starter is so that you can directly connect to the thick black cable that connects directly to the battery. Unfortunately this cable doesn't run under the dash. If you are able to jack your car up safe then the installation by the starter is easier than being inverted under the dash

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#29 Post by David Jones »

The VW folks originally called it a "hard start relay" and it was p[laced near the starter because it was thought it would reduce the volts drop which caused the solenoid to fail to operate when the actual cause was the battery being at low voltage or the ignition switch contacts being the high resistance cause. The main battery cable was the obvious place to pick up the power supply to the relay contacts.
Joe Leoni designated the switch name correctly as being a switch saver relay which not only reduced wear on the ignition switch but replaced the sliding contacts of the ignition switch with the direct make/break contacts of the relay.
Even with a lift I find it easier to put the relay under the dash. Remove the combo gauge and the ignition switch while sitting comfortably in the air conditioned garage in the drivers seat and install the prepared relay in a matter of minutes. No muss no fuss and even have a cup of tea while working and listen to the radio.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#30 Post by Wes Bender »

To each his own. I installed my Leoni relay at the starter a long time ago and it was quite easy to do. Neither way is incorrect. It's purely a personal choice. In either case, it reduces the current flow through the ignition switch while starting.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....