Windshield install question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Spiegel
356 Fan

Re: Windshield install question

#16 Post by Mark Spiegel »

I bought it from Stoddards like 6 weeks ago and stored it in the box until I went to install it.

Mark Spiegel
356 Fan

#17 Post by Mark Spiegel »

Just a follow-up...
  1. The original seal I had was for a Karman (car is a Reuter). I didn't like how much rubber I was seeing exposed around the windshield. I then learned the profile for a Karman is a little different than a Reuter. I then bought a Reuter seal from Stoddards and the amount of rubber seal visible around the windshield was less (much more correct looking).
  2. Installed/deinstalled the windshield 4 times before getting a fit and look that I was OK with.
  3. You don't want to repeatedly work the profile on the corners of your new aluminum trim as after a while it will start to craze :(
  4. Getting the rubber installed on the windshield and then the aluminum trim fitted in the rubber and having it all lined up was quite a chore. You should maybe do hand strengthening exercises for like 6 months before installing a windshield.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

I had moderate help from using 2” masking tape to hold things together, although all the dishwashing soap I used tended to untape it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dave Erickson »

Did you lay the new windshield on top of the old one and check dimensions and curvature? Several people have reported problems with Stoddard's Pilkington windshields not having the right curvature.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

You can’t check it that way, two identical curved windshields will not lay one on top of the other.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I know that it is Heresy but Bruce Baker commented once that he always uses the larger Karmann Gasket even on Reutter cars.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#22 Post by George Hussey »

either the seal or the windshield if you purchased a new one. We have installed plenty of these 356 windshields and back glasses (even in the roadsters, a REAL challenge!!!) and will only use the factory seals. Very important like previously mentioned to check the new glass vs the old one. We once were fitting a new rear window to a PERFECT never been damaged 65 SC. The rear window was purchased new from Porsche. When we checked the glass before beginning installation, we found it to be larger than the old scratched factory original in the car!!!!! Had to send it back and were afraid to order another one. To this day I think that this perfect car has a rear window with a scratch in it
George Hussey

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dave Erickson »

Martin Benade wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 am You can’t check it that way, two identical curved windshields will not lay one on top of the other.
That's only if they match. Here is an example of a pair that do not match, the new Pilkington is in front:
IMG_0087.jpeg