6V VOLTAGE REGULATOR

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 6V VOLTAGE REGULATOR

#31 Post by Martin Benade »

That one comes out to 210 W, probably only a slight risk if you have a later 200w generator, but I’m not really qualified to say that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#32 Post by David Jones »

Until an excessive load is put on the generator all will be OK. Bit if you were to drive with flat battery you could overload the generator. Keep the total load under the max current rating and it will work just fine.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#33 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I've ordered one and will let everyone know

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#34 Post by David Jones »

At what price Neil? I looked but it appears I would have to sign in to get a price.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#35 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I bought for £75 from a place in the UK that had one in stock. I initially found it on their website. Then asked them about the product so they told me who made it and that was the link I shared. Here is the place in the uk

https://www.customandcommercial.com/

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#36 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Is the 61 connector a separate feed for the red dash warning light?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#37 Post by David Jones »

That would be correct Neil.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#38 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Well I received the new 6v regulator on the weekend. I had a strange time. I cleaned the points in the mechanic regulator and it stopped working again. I installed the new regulator. It didn't work then I touched DF to ground. It all started working again. I noticed that the DF black wire had a break in the plastic so I'm going to rewire and check again.

For the new regulator I attached the gauge light to the B+ rather than the 61 connector. I noticed that when B+ goes over the battery level the resistance on 61 goes up from 0. However, with the gauge light it's bright below 6v, from B+, nothing at 6.5-7vish, then a faint light from 7 onwards??

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#39 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Neil
you should not get over 7V from B+. the regulator should take care of that.
j

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#40 Post by David Jones »

Regulators are normally set for 7.3 volts plus minus 0.3 volts according to my experience. At least that is the average reading across my 3 cars at around 3k rpm.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#41 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

thanks David i can't read my Simpson 260 that accurately. does the faint glow indicate a high charging rate or small resitance to the battery side of the bulb?
j

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#42 Post by David Jones »

Every 6 volt car i ever owned has had the generator light come on at high loads, some very dim but some very noticeable. I pit it down to a low voltage battery and a high voltage regulator passing enough current to make the bulb glow. Unlikely to happen with an LED because of its failure to pass anything until reaching its threshold to switch on.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#43 Post by Harlan Halsey »

That generator light is between the generator output and the battery +. If the generator is not turning, either because you switched the ignition on with the engine stopped or the fan belt broke, there is full battery voltage across the light. As the generator turns faster the light voltage decreases, until when the generator output is equal to the battery voltage the light is out. About 600 RPM. When the generator is generating more than battery voltage current would flow the other way lighting the light dimly, except for the diode.

=

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#44 Post by Neil Bardsley »

David Jones wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:13 pm Every 6 volt car i ever owned has had the generator light come on at high loads, some very dim but some very noticeable. I pit it down to a low voltage battery and a high voltage regulator passing enough current to make the bulb glow. Unlikely to happen with an LED because of its failure to pass anything until reaching its threshold to switch on.
Fair enough.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#45 Post by Neil Bardsley »

What gauge wires should the earth and B+ be between the generator and regulator?