Insurance

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Beam
356 Fan

Insurance

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

I have had my insurance coverage through Condon Skelly for years. No claims have been made. Agreed value coverage. My policy renewal date is coming up and I received notice from Condon Skelly that they were changing their insurance provider partner to American Family Home Insurance Company. Never heard of this company. Anyone have any experience with them - good-bad?
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

David Sweeney
356 Fan

Re: Insurance

#2 Post by David Sweeney »

I've also had them for years and now they have increased my premiums by over $300/year just because American Family Home Insurance took over in January. Decided to go with Hagerty.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

HAGERTY. Not the cheapest, but unapparelled service. ......Jim.
Jim Liberty

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Is Berkley any good?
Author / Photojournalist

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Glen Getchell »

I agree with Jim. I have Hagerty and have had claims that were satisfied (even if I did have to move up the food chain during the claim process). Prior to Hagerty I had Heacock. I also had a claim with Heacock which resulted in a 5 year law suit. The difference was night and day. The question you have to ask is can / will Condon Skelly stand up for to their carrier in the event things hit the fan (because the job of a insurance company is not to pay). Heacock certainly couldn't / wouldn't. Most of these companies are just brokers.

Glen
64Cx2

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Pretty sure Hagerty also 're-insures', but they seem to have enough clout in the business that you do not get any pushback on claims.
Guessing it was 15 years ago where the Hagerty rep looked at (photos? Dropped by? - can't remember) of the damage, approved X amount. The shop which did the work quoted less than that and the Hagerty rep let his estimate stand since 'maybe they missed something.'
They didn't, billed their quote and at that point, Hagerty lowered their estimate and paid the lower amount.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jon Schmid »

I have American Modern (GEICO affiliate)--agreed value on both my 356's. Unfortunately, I just had a claim though them and my rates went up, but they were very cool with processing the whole deal.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jules Dielen »

I had american family on my daily driver. Overpaid for years and when I had a claim they gave me the runaround. Not too impressed. I now have progressive for my dd and hagerty for my older stuff. I've only heard good things about hagerty.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#9 Post by Alan Hall »

I had Condon & Skelly for over 20 years but this years renewal was so high and they added such odd coverages (like pet insurance) that I decided to check Hagerty and they were actually somewhat cheaper so I switched.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

Pet insurance came with their classic car policy, or that’s an unrelated offering that they now have?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#11 Post by Alan Hall »

came with the classic car policy.

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Glen Getchell »

Our little Buddy "Rascal" passed in Feb just a month from turning 17. Anybody who knows us knows he went everywhere with us. And we go almost everywhere in our 356 "Rudy".

With that said, "What is Pet Insurance"? Some day it will matter again.

Glen
64Cx2
Attachments
Rascal Helen1.JPG
Rascal Helen1.JPG (219.99 KiB) Viewed 778 times

David Campbell
356 Fan

#13 Post by David Campbell »

Some car insurance carriers will now provide benefits for family pets injured or killed in a covered auto. Also some are selling pet health and accident insurance as a separate product line because they know their market. There are many plans now, with various benefit levels.

WR Berkley is a well respected insurance holding company but is a newer entrant to this market.
I would compare everything including their claims process. Haggerty may not be the lowest cost but their claims service and long term support of the collector car market have helped build loyalty.

Grundy is another specialty brokerage to check when getting quotes.

Remember “stated value” is not as favorable as “agreed value”. The former retains a depreciation settlement provision whereas the latter is what the insurer is obligated to pay in a total loss.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

David Campbell
356 Fan

#14 Post by David Campbell »

Also make sure your insurance extends some coverage for your spare auto parts and collectibles.

If your car is being restored and components are out for repairs you want that coverage clearly provided. Body, engine and interior, wheels may all be damaged in transit or while in the care, custody or control of the vendor.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

I had American Family coverage on my other two cars and both the winter and summer digs. Three years ago, they raised my car rates by 20%. I warned the agent that I would be looking around the next renewal date. Sure enough, the next year my rates were going up another 20%. American Family had always been good on all of our insurance needs. We had no claims on anything, so I can't attest to that aspect. I believe they bought out one or two troubled insurance companies over the past few years, so that might be the problem.

Porsche is with Hagerty and I'm satisfied. A bit expensive, but they're worth it. All else is with USAA.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....