Insurance

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Insurance

#16 Post by David Jones »

I have been with Hagerty since 92 with my 914 and on through my 356's. I have had 3 claims on three different 356's and can honestly say that Hagerty has been excellent to deal with. Unfortunately for them I am now in the black as regards my insurance payments and their pay outs.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

chris romney
356 Fan

#17 Post by chris romney »

I've had Hagerty for over 15 years. I've only had one claim, which like Glen I had to push up the food chain a little to get resolved satisfactorily. Even so, Hagerty stands stand behind their insureds and makes sure you get your car back in the same or better condition than it was pre-claim. I find their service to be very good. My other friends who own classic cars have had similar experiences when filing a claim. I've asked several shops who do high quality repairs what their experience has been like in dealing with insurance companies and they've all said Hagerty is the best to deal with and doesn't pressure them to take short cuts and do sub-standard repairs. Price is important, but what's most important is fair treatment with no run around when you have a claim. Damage to your 356 is already stressful enough without having to fight with your insurance company.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

I am insured by Hagerty and several years ago we fixed my friend’s Convertible D at my shop on a Hagerty claim. They couldn’t have been better.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#19 Post by Mark Todorovich »

I haven’t looked at a Condon & Skelly policy in a long time. They used to have a very restrictive acceptable driving clause. Only to events , parades , and shows. Hagerty allows you to drive as you wish as long as you have daily drivers for each of the drivers in the household.
My son who is also insured with Hagerty was the 7th car in an eleven car accident . The guy who was drunk and had state minimum coverage limits hit the other 10 cars and blew through his limits. My sons 55 Chevy is mechanically nice but has tons of patina . Hagerty paid to replace beat up parts with brand new and couldn’t have been better or nicer. No effect at all on pricing.
I am a 40 year insurance broker.
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

David Campbell
356 Fan

#20 Post by David Campbell »

Mark, I'm glad your son escaped without serious personal injury. Your post reminds me to emphasize Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage for bodily injury. The Insurance Information Institute stated in a 2021 study that as of 2019, 12.6% of motorists were uninsured on a national average. If you live in some states, that number is likely to be higher: MS (29.4%), MI (25.5%), TN (23.7%), NM (21.8%), WA (21.7%), FL (20.4%), AL (19.5%), AR (19.1%) and CA (16.6%). Members and their passengers who are seriously hurt by another driver's negligence may face huge unexpected medical bills. Keep this in mind when selecting UM/UIM coverage and limits.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dave Erickson »

Mark Todorovich wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:07 pm I haven’t looked at a Condon & Skelly policy in a long time. They used to have a very restrictive acceptable driving clause. Only to events , parades , and shows. Hagerty allows you to drive as you wish as long as you have daily drivers for each of the drivers in the household.
I called Hagerty earlier this week, since I am getting close to putting my car back on the road. I was told that I could not use the car as a daily driver. I.e. they would not insure it if I used it for trips to the auto parts store or on vacations where the car was not in a garage, like at a motel, or going to a restaurant. Everyone seems very happy with Hagerty, so did I just speak to the wrong agent?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Mike Wilson »

Unless Hagerty has changed (and not notified me) I was able to drive my car to (but not for) work since I had a dedicated parking place in a gated and secured parking lot. O.k. for local drives, etc. Since I have a AAA umbrella policy, the 356 is also covered under their Classic Car Coverage. I've beeb retired since 2009 so driving to work is no longer an issue. So far (knock on wood) no claims.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dave Erickson »

Mike, that corresponds to what I had heard before. But according to the Hagerty agent I spoke to, if I put 10,000 miles on my 356 in a year, that would be way beyond their allowed usage for a classic car, and trips to the store were not ok. Attendance at club events like WCH would require covered, locked parking. I’ve been retired since 2013, and I told the agent I might make a trip to the auto parts store once every couple of weeks or go to a restaurant once a week. Didn’t matter, not covered…. I was hoping to find coverage for attending club events and occasional trips into town. I guess Hagerty doesn’t allow this usage. A trip into town is 30-40 mi. Round trip, so in a year I would drive between 5000 and 10000 miles.

My daily drivers are insured with California Casualty. I called them about adding the 356, and they do not do classic cars. They said their coverage for damage or loss would be much less than the actual cost or value in the collector’s market.

However, I have lots of friends insured with Hagerty, who attend events like Saturday breakfasts, WCH, etc. So thats why I think I should try a different Hagerty agent.

Dave

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

Ten years ago I told Hagerty I would be driving 6000 miles per year, they said that was fine. In actuality it’s been 1000 miles per year. I thought they were only concerned with your daily storage parking, not vacations etc.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think I would talk to a different agent and read the coverage info. If I recall, Hagerty has had reps at different events and never heard about covered and locked parking required at those events. Most are at a host hotel and the ones I have been to never have such parking.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Campbell
356 Fan

#26 Post by David Campbell »

@Dave E. Did they put those conditions in writing? What kind of quote proposal did you receive? If it was by phone or email, you may have a novice account manager and not an actual underwriter. As a long term Hagerty insured I am not hearing anything like what you were told.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dave Erickson »

Not in writing, this was over the phone. I currently have comprehensive only insurance with Hagerty, since the car is being worked on in my garage. So I wanted to make it a drivers policy, and I spoke to an agent. Not sure if he was an underwriter.

Jack Kwiat
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jack Kwiat »

I was formerly insured with Condon and Skelly for approx. 30+ yrs. before switching over to Hagerty about two yrs ago. Fortunately I never had to put in a claim. I did notice over the years that Condon and Skelly had gone thru two or three different carriers.
I got a better rate thru Hagerty and read about their good reputation. That pretty much helped make my decision to switch over.
Member #1174
'64 356-C coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hagerty also insures parts under the standard coverage (or used to). I think it used to be $750. I bumped up my coverage since I have a lot of spare parts. When I sold my spare engine, I just decreased the amount of coverage on the parts.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#30 Post by Martin Benade »

I think Hagerty actually uses outside companies to provide the insurance, but Hagerty seems to have complete control of the claims, and makes it work great.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna