Third Brake Light

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
GregVandenbussche
356 Fan

Re: Third Brake Light

#46 Post by GregVandenbussche »

I have my t5 with a motorcycle led strip behind the grille, with a flasher as well, pretty effective on tailgaters on the freeway
Bt5 Super - used to be fjord green, was painted brass, then brown... sadness

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#47 Post by Eric McKinley »

Greg,

Would you have a picture of it in situ.

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#48 Post by Richard Emerson »

The comments about getting rear ended at stop lights with cars getting totaled and potential injuries is really discomforting.

Most of my cars are 6 volt too for authenticity purposes, and I really don't want to put in these, but it's like seat belts too. How far do we go in ignoring obvious safety improvements even for very limited use cars?

And the difference in installation from a Speedster for example to a Coupe...

I wonder if there isn't a way to make a portable 12v auxiliary battery powered (think a cell phone charger battery) device that can suction cup mount on the rear window internally or hang on the roll bar if a speedster has one, that cam be moved from car to car for the driving. Or would be connecting to the brake line with a connector be too difficult (just leave a plug available).

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#49 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, I also get a bit nervous as cars get a bit too close for my comfort, either because they want to see what this funny thing is or because they are not paying attention so I've been contemplating fitting something for quite a while and found this brake light with backing/attachment plate on EBay, it's designed for a moped and already had the holes to mount indicators. I searched for moped indicator lights and found these, NEW 4 X INDICATORS 6V TURN SIGNAL AMBER MOTORCYCLE BLINKER LIGHTS 6 VOLTS, with some very simple assembly got it ready to go and attached it to the luggage rack with u Bolts. I didn't want to cut into/fiddle about with the 60 year old brittle loom too much and also make it very easy to remove so I made the connections very simple. They simply are push in steel pin connectors pushed into the bullet connectors, there is room, with the wires running through the emergency engine lid opening pull wire holes and run up the edges of the engine bay tucked and blue tacked into the engine bay sound deadening joints. Apart from lying on my back pushing the connectors in with my hand at an awkward angle (waiting for it's next time on a lift when I can stand up to do this to get the nice new boots on) it's relatively easy to do, very easily reversible and cost £17.00.

If you want to hop up from 6V to 12V I found these on the web as well, DC-DC XL6009 Boost Step-up Module Power Supply 4.5-32V to 5-52V LED Voltmeter, and they are simply amazing.

V
high brake and indicator lights.JPG
high brake and indicator lights.JPG (520.33 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
V. Gillespie

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#50 Post by Eric McKinley »

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 12 volt Lleryn brake light a while back, as we all know the gentleman that made these has since passed away.

I also bought some well made small leather straps from the same man, these hold the rear jump seats up and stop them falling down with a thud.

The reason for these post is that I have noticed a 6 volt Lleryn brake light on Ebay which ends in a number of hours.

The light is very discreet and completely unnoticeable until pressed, a great safety addition and something that has without doubt been very helpful.

This is the eBay item number:293838783222

I do not have any connection to this add.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#51 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG (481.63 KiB) Viewed 897 times
IMG_4186.JPG
IMG_4186.JPG (619.55 KiB) Viewed 897 times
As another alternative I recently added this for my peace of mind and it certainly keeps people further away. I found this assembly, also via a 'Moped Light fitting', on Ebay, my info is it was a project made for personal use but it was done incredibly professionally, and I had the attachment bracket made. The electrics were sorted when on a lift, sooo much easier, the outer 2 LEDs flash yellow Left and Right as indicators and on braking the whole array lights up red. Amazing what can be done with LEDs these days.
V. Gillespie

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#52 Post by Jules Dielen »

This is my 'elegant' 6 volt solution. I have it mounted right under the the top of the rear window, with 2 small aluminum brackets slid snuggley into the window seal. Works like a charm and bright as daylight. And for shows I can remove it in minutes. Ran the wire under the window seal. Can't make it myself at that price. They are waterproof so you can mount them under the grill or under the bumper too.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Motorcy ... NrPXRydWU=
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#53 Post by Jules Dielen »

Now available here, in 6 volt , 8" and 10"

https://www.vintagetraderaz.com/product ... rake-light
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.