Hood Handle Mounting Stud Replacement

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Hood Handle Mounting Stud Replacement

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Am I correct in understanding that for B / C hood handles:
  1. The two at the fat end (nearest the bumper) are threaded holes with removable studs
  2. The three along the narrow part are non-removable press in studs?
The reason I ask is, while I am shopping for original hood handles, many have studs missing. It is hard to tell from photos, but it appears the two at the fat end are threaded holes and would be easy to replace. The others would be PITA. That said, I am not able to find a picture or part number in the parts manual for any removable studs on that assembly.

Thanks for clarifying.

1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

Re: Hood Handle Mounting Stud Replacement

#2 Post by Don Gale »

I have a used hood handle which is missing the studs on the skinny end. I cannot tell if the original studs were cast in place but the holes do have thread marks in them. Does yours have vacant holes on the skinny end or are the studs broken off?
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I believe the smaller studs were swagged in rather than threaded. You could carefully drill and tap for new studs, just don't drill too deep.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#4 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Let's assume that Brad's reproductions are made by the original manufacturer. The three studs, on the skinny end, appear to be set in the mold before the metal is injected. They are not coming out voluntarily. The two front fastener locations are (from memory) threaded holes.

If the studs on the reproduction have chrome on them, and it builds up the thread diameter, consider making a set of three custom nuts out of delrin (engineering plastic). The delrin can accommodate the slightly increased stud diameter. The forces involved in retaining the hood handle are low. The reproduction handle is a thing of beauty.

The reason you are encountering broken studs, on original (used) hood handles, on the skinny end, is for that very reason. The studs are cast in place. The nuts are locked up with rust. Disassemblers have been impatient. Those studs would twist off with little effort. You would likely, as indicated above, have to drill them out with a Bridgeport.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Roy Smalley »

Be aware that all handles are not identical and won't necessarily fit in the hood holes.
The repro has different fasteners. Bought one wouldn't fit had the original rechromed. It fits. More expensive than just buying the repro (and it is nice) but it fit.
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

Anything I take apart from screwed and bolted hardware, I always add a little anti-sieze--especially on the parts that will be in moisture conditions.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Absolutely correct, Roy. Another variable is the curve of the hood itself matching the curvature of the handle.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#8 Post by WilliamVaughan »

I carefully bent my repro to match the hood curve. It can be done.

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#9 Post by Gordon Watkins »

The studs on the fat end are available from the usual vendors. I purchased a kit with the studs, seal, donuts and hardware. But as stated by others the other three are part of the handle and not removable. They also sit at a slight angle to conform with the curve of the hood so drilling and tapping would need to account for that.
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

Vincent Chiaro
356 Fan
Tag: Miles = smiles. Dirty car, happy driver.
Instagram: atypical__driver

#10 Post by Vincent Chiaro »

In the photo above, what size are the nuts for the two mounts at the far left?

I was going to remove my handle today to re-secure the Porsche crest and one of the 3 right hand side studs snapped despite my anticipation of this and very gentle touch.

I couldn't even get a socket onto the nuts on the left side, either they are rounded off or rusted or both.
1960 356B Roadster -- http://www.youtube.com/atypicaldriver

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jan Kolm »

Does anyone have the dimensions (OD, thickness) of the original micarta washers, assuming the ID is 4mm?
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe