Roadtrip California - Canada / California / Across US

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

Re: Roadtrip California - Canada - California 2018

#31 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

Heiner,
So many choices you have. On my 2014 trip I drove from Pebble Beach to Yosemite, Reno, north through Utah. Look up Kooskia Ut. and take Route 12 along the Lochsa River to Lolo. This drive through the Lolo Forest is amazing with great scenery, high speed sweepers, is very long and has a mountain pass near Lolo.
Driving north definitely drive Glacier National Park's Going to the Sun road. In Canada go Calgary to Banff north along the Ice Fields Parkway to Jasper. Bend around to the west then go south through the Okanagan Valley(200+ vineyards).
In Washington visit Mt. Rainer and from Randle Washingtion drive to Mt. St. Helens Windy Ridge overlook. From there drive south to Stevenson Wa. then along the Columbia River. The drive to Windy Ridge is one of the best in the USA, a twisty 135 mile(Randle to Stevenson) drive mountain drive that ends at the top with a view of Mt. St. Helens, Spirit Lake and more.

If you like twisties use www.motorcycleroads.com to find the best roads.

I plan on driving Chicago to Alaska and down the west coast all the way to Santa Barbara then Vegas then to Chicago in July and early August. Maybe we can cross paths somewhere. Anyone else want to join me?

Heiner Fees
356 Fan

#32 Post by Heiner Fees »

Leo,
thank you for this helpful link !!!!
Heiner

Thomas Frisardi
356 Fan

#33 Post by Thomas Frisardi »

Heiner Fees wrote:Thank you for this great hints . With your input I always optimize my planed tour.
Here in Germany i could not find very detailed road maps (including the small windy roads)
Does anybody know good map material.
I prefere to use during my road trip (like in the good old time) paper maps
=> more fun with the person on the passenger seat ;-)
I like paper maps, too. I recommend the AAA Road Atlas, shown here. If you cannot get AAA to send you one, let me know and I will send my copy to you.
Attachments
Image.png
cover.png

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#34 Post by Gary Cox »

Some of the best maps to find the best, out of the way, less traveled, roads suited to the sporting nature of our cars can be found at http://www.butlermaps.com/
They rank and highlight favorite roads. They are called motorcycle maps but equally effective for our purposes.
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#35 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Leo Dreisilker wrote:Heiner,
Look up Kooskia Ut. and take Route 12 along the Lochsa River to Lolo. This drive through the Lolo Forest is amazing with great scenery, high speed sweepers, is very long and has a mountain pass near Lolo.
Kooskia is in Idaho. I lived near there when I was a kid in Orofino, ID. The road did not go through to Mountana at that time but now a shortcut from Lewiston to Missoula and a beautiful drive, a must if you are anywhere near there. This road parallels the original route that Lewis and Clark took across the mountains, but their trail is up on top of the ridge and a dirt road rather than following the river.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#36 Post by Roy Smalley »

You probably know this, but if you want to see more of America stay off the Interstate Highway as much as possible. We made a similar trip from Texas to Banff in 356's purposefully staying in the mountains, starting with S. Colorado, north from Durango. We hit most all of the points mentioned including Glacier. Don't miss the Redwoods and Sequoias in California; no where else in the world will you see so much growing majesty....and take along a hard copy list of those Registry members along the way you might interface. Good luck. We were in 2 356's and had not a single problem. 5300 miles. My bucket list has always included Alaska, but we shall see.....
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Heiner Fees
356 Fan

#37 Post by Heiner Fees »

Thank you for all of your help and support.
The trip started yesterday. You can follow us in Instagram: roadtripina356
Heiner
Last edited by Heiner Fees on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#38 Post by Roy Smalley »

.....may the road rise up to meet you........

Safe journey....
 Roy Smalley
Texas

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#39 Post by John Hearn »

Heiner and family
Have a great trip.
We look forward to hearing all your adventures.
KTF
John & Diane

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#40 Post by John Lindstrom »

Do not miss the Golden Gate Bridge. Park the car at either end, walk out to the middle of it. I’m an hour south of the bridge, if you need anything.

Heiner Fees
356 Fan

#41 Post by Heiner Fees »

The trip is going on in 2022.
In 2020 Covid disturbed our further plan for a road trip and the 356 must be stored in CA.
Good news. On July 14th we will start our 356 road trip from the West Coast to the East Coast. The trip will end on September 19th.
Until today I planned the trip as followed:
Sacramento-> Crater Lake-> Reedsport -> Tillamook (Oregon Coast) -> Graham -> Trip around Mount Rainier-> Spokane -> Last Chance (Yellowstone) -> Bismark (North Dacota) -> Duluth Terrace Bay -> Elliot Lake -> Niagara Falls -> Baltimore ==> shipping @ Roll on Roll off to Bremen (Germany)
My wife Bettina and I are interested to meet 356 enthusiasts as much as possible along our trip. Let us know the most interesting spots where we have to stop with our 356.
If anything will be better or more interesting for driving with the 356 please let us know.
Heiner & Bettina from Germany
Attachments
IMG_20190506_120806.jpg

David Aronson
356 Fan

#42 Post by David Aronson »

Heiner & Family,
May I suggest taking a very small diversion as you head north from Sacramento. At Red Bluff, take Highway 36 to Highway 89 and tour through the Lassen Volcanic National Park.
At the North end of the Park, take Highway 89 North and meet Highway 80 at Mt. Shasta. It is a beautiful excursion. We are in Vacaville, just west of Sacramento. A member of 356CAR. Also, I agree, do not miss the Golden gate. If you pass through, I can arrange a flight to see San Francisco and the bridge.
61 Karmann Notchback 200831
67 Karman 912 461567
74 911 Targa (3.0 SC motor)
83 911SC (Concours award winner, still)
95 993
09 Carrera S
69 Triumph TR6, 2004 BMW K1200GT, 2012 R1200RT, 2013 MOTO GUZI V7 RACER
64 VW coupe
Vacaville Ca.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#43 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My brother (a retired Forest Ranger) and I at the base of a giant near Quinault Ranger Station in the Hoh Rain Forest in Washington. Going East From Bismarck,,ND will be quite flat with miles of sunflowers, Flax,canola and other crops to make it colorful in places.
Attachments
MCHK7951.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#44 Post by Al Zim »

I made a number of the trips that are suggested by our members..Only for me it was in our 1953 Pontiac station wagon in 53 and 54 for me 60 years ago. As my father was gathering material for his books. So much for history. The most important thing is for you to secure your car (the same truth as in 1953) A roll back wrecker can easily abscond with you car in minutes no matter where you park it. Have an alarm system. If you are in a hotel/ motel park near the front door. Where people can see your car. The other thing you will have to deal with is obtaining the parts that you need. Stoddard and Sierra Madre are the two largest parts sales company. They do not repair cars as ZIMZ does which we believe will assist you in the correct parts purchase. If the planets are in order you can usually have your parts in 2 or 3 days. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#45 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is a link to the old outdated interactive TAN map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 121402&z=7 As you will notice from Western Montana to Minneapolis no one listed. Good luck on your trip.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.