Roadtrip California - Canada / California / Across US

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Heiner Fees
356 Fan

Roadtrip California - Canada / California / Across US

#1 Post by Heiner Fees »

Hi
my name is Heiner and I live with my family in the southern part of Germany near the Porsche factory.
Through my small 356 collection (1953; 1958, 1962, 1964) I got introduced to the 356CAR group in Sacramento.
This is the reason why I became a member of the Porsche 356 Registry.
As member of the TAN I received a phone call from a 356 Porsche enthusiast from California last year.
When he picked up his 356 in Rotterdam (Netherlands) for the road trip to the international Porsche meeting in Spain,
he figured out, that the front brakes and some other important functions on the car does not work right.
I made an appointment with him and his son and of course with his car in my garage.
I ordered all spare parts and fixed the car for the long road-trip to the meeting in Spain and the trip back.
During his stay in our house we became very good friends. This was such a great experience for me and my family.
During the last year we met each other again in California and Germany / Switzerland for drives with the 356's.

The moral of the story is: There is a 356 family all around the world.
Trough this positive experience I thought what this "crazy guy from California" can do, I can do too.
As a German engineer you always think what could happen along a road trip with your 356.
The California guy showed me: "Don´t think so much just do it."
=> Life is too short just do it.

My family and I came up with the plan for a 8 to 10 week road-trip trough California and Canada.
Because of the limited space in the 356 I will drive the first part from Sacramento to Vancouver with my daughter (21).
The second part with my son (23) to Calgary (Yellowstone) and Salt lake City. The last part of this trip I will drive with my
wife trough the National parks in UT, AZ and CA, passing Las Vegas back to Sacramento with a 356.
I will start early August 2018.

So I am asking you for hints about points of interest and of course roads made for the 356 and maybe we can drive
some roads together.

Thank you for your insider tips and recommendations for hotels / motels where the 356 could be parked save.

Heiner
Last edited by Heiner Fees on Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

Re: Roadtrip California - Canada - California 2018

#2 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

I don't know how fixed your schedule is, but, with that start date and direction you would probably miss the Monterey Motorsport Reunion in August:

http://www.weathertechraceway.com/rolex ... ts-reunion

But, you might try and schedule in Rennsport Reunion VI in September:

http://www.weathertechraceway.com/porsc ... reunion-vi

In between is the IMSA Sportscar Race:

http://www.weathertechraceway.com/conti ... grand-prix

Yosemite National Park in Central California is always good with many good sports car roads, although the water falls it is known for will be somewhat dry by late summer.

Columbia State Park, South East of Sacramento is good for a look at the California Gold rush era. In the foothills with more good roads.
Bruce Hagopian

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

Bryce Canyon, southern Utah
Phil Planck

Dan George
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan George »

Take Hwy 101 (Coast route) through Oregon and, in Washington, see Mt. Rainier and the North Cascades National Parks

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#5 Post by Walt Nolte »

Heiner, if you are coming from Calgary into Montana on the way to Yellowstone, you might try US 89 and cut off to the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park. You could then drive on US 93 through White Fish, Kalispell, Flathead Lake and through Missoula, Montana on your way to Yellowstone. Very scenic drive. Email me directly if you want more information or to get together.

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Missoula, Montana
walt nolte

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Heiner Fees wrote:[...]
As a German engineer you always think what could happen along a road trip with your 356.
The California guy showed me: "Don´t think so much just do it."
=> Life is too short just do it.[...]
Heiner
In North America we have the luxury of common language (eh? [-a joke]) and common currencies over very great distances. I've taken a 1500 Speedster some 4,000Km cross-country, later a B Cab a bit more and an old Lusso some 4,500Km. I had some troubles, but a credit card made all of them workable.
By now, you can add a cel phone, a TAN print-out, and leave the wrenches at home.
'They don't make (stuff) like they used to!' and we all appreciate it!
BTW, welcome if you decide to hit SF.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

George Walling
356 Fan

#7 Post by George Walling »

Crater Lake in Oregon is a nice place to visit when coming through Oregon. it is about a4 hour trip from hwy 101 on the coast. from Cresent city Ca. on the coast head east toward Grants Pass Oregon and then continue east to Crater Lake. then you can leave there and continue on hwy 97N and onto hwy 58W to Eugene OR and back to hwy 101 or stay on hwy 97N towards Bend OR and onto Mt Hood both are nice drives. Good Luck and enjoy the trip. I live in Merrill Oregon and I'm listed on the TAN if the you need a place to repair the car, I have a 4 post lift and metric tools I'm not a expert on the 356 but I do a lot of my own work on my 55 speedster. Merrill is a small farming town and Porsche parts are not available but other normal parts are at are Napa store plus we have a small motel and restaurant in town which are not fancy but they are clean.
George E Walling

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#8 Post by Mark Pribanic »

I would also recommend joining AAA for roadside assistance if needed. As a premier member I get four tows. One for 200 miles, two for 100 miles and I think one of 50 miles. I also do a lot of long distance driving and always carry spares and tools for easy roadside fixes. I'm leaving Florida for California this Saturday. Will be at both Luftgekuhlt and Rennsport. I look forward to seeing your foto's.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bill Lawless »

If your in the (Moab, Ut. Bryce Canyon Ut.) Area, Rt 12 and 24 are AMAZING... Did that Cross country trip last summer...
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 9.37.22 AM.png
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If you decide to do the 101 in Washington my brother who knows nothing about old cars is a retired forest ranger in Quinault. The largest trees in North America other than the Redwoods. Hoh Rain Forest does get a lot of rain though. If you decide to go that way email me and I will give you my brother's contact info.
Attachments
Chuck and I in front of one of the largest trees in Quinault
Chuck and I in front of one of the largest trees in Quinault
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#11 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Salt Lake City, Lake Boneville shore lines 20K YBP
Grand Cooley Dam
Lake Missoula
Bretz Floods
Snake River Canyon
EBR-1
Little Big Horn
Fort Peck Dam
Boeing Renton Assembly Plant tour

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Not sure of your route but Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National park in NW Montana is spectacular. Crowded road before Sept 1st and maybe snow later but awesome if you go that way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going-to-the-Sun_Road And the old historic lodges Like Many Glacier near St Mary's in the NE and McDonald Lodge in the SW are wonderful historic lodges. http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com Personally I would forgo staying in motels and stay in one of the lodges if possible.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#13 Post by James Davies »

Have fun Heiner! I know you will.

I can also highly recommend Hwy 89 between Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in Utah. Possibly the most stunning bit of road in the country. If you're interested to see some amazing slot canyons, Spooky Canyon and Peak-a-boo Canyon are nearby Bryce Canyon off of Hwy 12 via a ~22 mile dirt road evocatively-named "Hole in the Rock Road" through Escalante National Monument. There's also some great things to see along the way, including Devil's Garden State Park.

John Jenkins
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by John Jenkins »

I second the suggestion to join the AAA. You can request a flat bed which is far better than being towed. In fact, it is the only way to do it without a possibility of damage. They also have a lot of free maps that show scenic routes on small two lane roads. The route through Utah shown to you, for example. Been there in my 356.
John Jenkins

Wayne Phears
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wayne Phears »

Utah is spectacular, so leave plenty of time for it. There is a fabulous mountain loop near Nephi called the Nebo Byway Loop as I recall. Also, the LaSal Mountain Loop outside Moab is spectacular. The run from Zion to Bryce and then on to Capital Reef is among the best. You'll go up to over 10,000 feet at Boulder Mountain and can see forever. Along the way the road at times runs along a ridge with drops on both sides. If you are there in late September the Aspen may be changing color and that is not to be missed. You probably should not try this much past early October. I've made these runs multiple times in a Jaguar XK 150 and relished every minute.

If I was not in Georgia I would join you! Jealous.