Porsche Silver Wheel Colour

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Porsche Silver Wheel Colour

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I am in the process of restoring a set of steel wheels for my 356C.

I would like to paint these wheels a correct silver, as opposed to powder coat.

I understand that there are a number of good rattle can colours out there however I am giving these to my painter and he needs a paint code.

Would anyone have a paint code, hopefully one I can get in the UK/Ireland.

Many Thanks, Eric

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Silver Wheel Colour

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Eric Use the same color as you used on your oil filter canister. Or glasurit 55 porsche 5706 silver with 50% matting agent.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug,

Thanks for the reply.

The oil filter canister was a rattle can I got, Audi silver, it was a good match but unfortunately no paint code, the painter needs this to order the paint.

The one you mention above, I have had a look at this, Porsche 5706 silver metallic, I am guessing it is too shiny without the 50% matting agent?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes the poster who posted that felt it was too shiny without the matt added. Paint shops here in the Colonies can scan your oil filter canister lid and match the paint. Bet they can in Ireland also. Another option is to find Wurth Silver wheel paint. German company so should be available in Europe. Stoddard used to sell it but now sells a Custom color from Precision Colors. A Wurth Silver wheel paint in rattle can you could spray and have matched at the paint seller by scanning.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Porsche Silver Wheel Color

#5 Post by Tom Wavrin »

There is a string of posts from Sept 2010 with the heading 'Silver Wheel Paint Choices' under the troubleshooting and repair section.
Robert Paxton detailed his process for painting wheels using the OEM VW/Audi color code LY7W. He used PPG Concept (which I like) as a single stage coating. But you could apply it as a base coat/clear coat method, too. Check out the original posting as other products and methods were described.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

If you want to go overboard, most of the A and B drum brake wheels had a blue primer, it enhanced the silver.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#7 Post by Joris Koning »

A, can you show some pictures
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Joris Koning wrote:A, can you show some pictures
I'm on the road right now but I can get more pics when I get back, wish me luck on the hunt!
Attachments
bluewheelprimer.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.