Lock won't function on my shift lever bracket

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#1 Post by Alex Mestas »

I recently removed my shift lever bracket to replace the shift link boot and bushings and trans boot on my 63 T-6 S coupe and everything went back together without a problem, but my transmission lock (by the shifter) will not engage/ I can't get it to lock anymore.

My question is; does the shift lever bracket's circular hole, the part that that the lock cylinder actually slides into, have some guides or nubs inside that could have possible worn out so that the lock won't engage anymore, or did I reinstall it incorrectly? It used to work fine and I used it all the time. Has this ever happened to any of you, and if so what's the fix? Any advice from you knowledgeable 356'ers would be much appreciated.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Alex,

"I recently removed my shift lever bracket to replace the shift link
boot and bushings and trans boot on my 63 T-6 S coupe and
everything went back together without a problem, but my
transmission lock (by the shifter) will not engage/ I can't get it
to lock anymore."

Could be a simple adjustment; loosen the holding screws and slide the shift tower back and forth until it works. Or, (heaven forbid) it could be a mis-installed 'lug' on the shift shaft. For some reason the factory didn't do any sort of offset drilling and that thing can be installed four different ways. Three of them are wrong.
Don't have the data on teh 'correct' way right now; maybe someone else will come up with it before I do.
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz