Help. PreA needs Viaga. Spur to road 5.5 " .

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Help. PreA needs Viaga. Spur to road 5.5 " .

#1 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Years ago somebody lowered this car and I have not found a ready answer as to how to get it back to a more normal height. If you have any experience doing this please let me know what worked. It has new, correct shocks and rides just much better without the old frozen ones.
From the jackspur bottom to the road is 5.5" It's on 15" wheels. Any help will be appreciated.
 KTF, member #15

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#2 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Have you tried adjusting the rear axles in the torsion tube area? As far as the front, my A Coupe has an adjustable beam. Perhaps yours does as well.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

No adjustment on Pre-A front axle

#3 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The adjustable front axle beam was one of the many improvements that came in the A version. Some folks think I may need to replace the torsion bars.

As the estimated costs to fix increases, my love for the very low grows and grows. Tom
 KTF, member #15

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Tom,
Do you have a pic you can upload/post that will show us how low it is? Maybe 3 pics? A profile, a front & a back view?

Thanks
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

Low rider

#5 Post by Norm Miller »

Tom,
The pre A was essentially a VW front beam. One method of lowering was to remove the upper torsion bars and install a round rod from arm to arm. Could this have been done?
I would suggest replacing the torsion bars as there isn't much else you can do. If you had access you could weld in an adjustable kit for VW but not an easy job.
norm C356C

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

Re: Low Rider

#6 Post by Larry Wilson »

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Last edited by Larry Wilson on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Help. PreA needs Viaga. Spur to road 5.5 " .

#7 Post by Brett Johnson »

tom coughlin wrote:Years ago somebody lowered this car and I have not found a ready answer as to how to get it back to a more normal height.
From the jackspur bottom to the road is 5.5" It's on 15" wheels. Any help will be appreciated.
My normal ride height 1955 coupe on original 16" wheels measures 6.5", so I suspect your car has not been lowered
Brett Johnson

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Lowered?

#8 Post by Steve Proctor »

I like the ride height to be when the rear wheel well lip is at the level of the junction of the wheel / tire and the front level or slightly lower.

I think that is a good looking setup. Had a guy out here is AZ that had a rear end so high I called his car "The Stinkbug."

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

Re: Lowered?

#9 Post by Larry Wilson »

Steve Proctor wrote:I like the ride height to be when the rear wheel well lip is at the level of the junction of the wheel / tire and the front level or slightly lower.

I think that is a good looking setup. Had a guy out here is AZ that had a rear end so high I called his car "The Stinkbug."

STP
Hi Steve:

Keep in mind that the rear wheel well lip on a Pre-A is about 2 inches lower than later model 356s.

Larry Wilsom

Cliff Murray

#10 Post by Cliff Murray »

You need to check the rear trailing arm angles on both sides of car. I doubt you need torsion bars but just an adjustment. Once the rear is set on each side you adjust the front to be slightly down hill of the rear. Align all wheels and enjoy. If the trailing arms have been set to lower the car you will know when you read your current angle. One degree less than stock is good for more stability. Much more is best left to the racers. Read the shop manual. If you are not mechanical you should get a 356 pro to do it and give you advice on the best setting for where you drive. They look cool lowered but ride the bumps like a dump truck.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Lowered

#11 Post by Steve Proctor »

Wilson,

Despite the fact that you can't spell your own name :-) you are absolutely correct on the lower rear fender well. I did not see the fact that it was a Pre-A. Good catch on your part.

By the way, my Pre-a was low and could fit 5.5 Mangels with 185 x 65 tires if the air was let out...

Take care,

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757