Machining VW clutch for 356 installation. Specs???

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#1 Post by Mike Klapac »

I know I'll probably catch hell for this but...Does anyone know what has to be done as far as fitting a VW Type 1 engine into an A bellhousing? I seem to remember something about the depth of the clutch mounting surface having to be machined for proper engagement with the throw out bearing.

Here's another: What are the machining specs for using a VW or Kennedy pressure plate with 356-912 flywheel? I know the depth from the clutch mounting surface to the engagement surface is a bit off, though not sure what to tell the machinist to shoot for.

Danke!
K

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

A type 1 VW engine (6v) will fit right in a 356A Trans case.with no problem. 356 and 912 flywheels are very different animals, though. One needs to machine a 200mm 356 flywheel to accept a 200mm V frigginW bus clutch. If you have a 912 flywheel you need to go back to a 356 flywheel.

Ciao

Jim
www.easypor.com

----- Original Message ----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2008 9:41:11 AM
Subject: [356Talk] Machining VW clutch for 356 installation. Specs???

I know I'll probably catch hell for this but...Does anyone know what has to be done as far as fitting a VW Type 1 engine into an A bellhousing? I seem to remember something about the depth of the clutch mounting surface having to be machined for proper engagement with the throw out bearing.

Here's another: What are the machining specs for using a VW or Kennedy pressure plate with 356-912 flywheel? I know the depth from the clutch mounting surface to the engagement surface is a bit off, though not sure what to tell the machinist to shoot for.

Danke!
K

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

engine swaps

#3 Post by Tom Tate »

I was just reading the Maestros Little Book of Secrets last night and saw an entire chapter written on installing a Type 1 VW into one of our little beauties. Apparently The Maestro didn't look down upon the idea. maybe someone can sent you a copy of that section if you don't have access to the actual book. KTF

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mike Klapac »

I got an early version of A,B,C,s with the car. Are the Maestros books still available new?

Thanks, K

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mike Klapac »

Just as much as the Maestro, I even think the good Herr Doktor would approve. $400.00 for main bearings vs. $40.00 for VW. Never mind exhaust valves, pushrod tubes, gasket kits and on and on... I look at these parts as consumables that have to be replaced if you drive your car.
The only time anyone will know the difference is if the engine lid is open or I'm passing them!

K