Shock install half done- rear shock bolt stuck

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Shock install half done- rear shock bolt stuck

#46 Post by Martin Benade »

I do believe in penetrating oil but I find it hard to believe that all the products in that test cut the needed torque in half. A pretty rigorous looking comparison I saw had four rusty bolts per product and the torques varied by about 40% with matching conditions. I think we all should just use the one we prefer and feel smart that we know what’s best.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#47 Post by Larry Brooks »

David Jones wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:16 pm Reminds me of the 200lb plus guy in Walmart in full camo that I bumped into in the check out. I said Oh, sorry I didn't see you. He never saw my point either. This is Kentucky after all. TSC sells camo painted tools, must be a lot of them out in the backwoods.
Camo tools reminded me of when my brother and I got a couple of high quality folding knives with a camo finish at a gun show for a great deal - about 1/2 of what they were selling the normal colors for(black, gold, silver, etc). We were always on the lookout for knives that would hold a good edge and compact. We hunted elk in remote, no vehicles allowed, areas in Eastern Oregon and since we usually had to pack them for long distances we would remove all of the meat from the bones(bulky & heavy) before packing it out. Elk are tough animals and rather than having to repeatedly resharpen the knives in the field we would just switch to fresh knives as they lost their edge. We used the new camo knives first when we got a big elk the next season. They did well but eventually lost their edge so we set them aside and switched to fresh knives. An hour later we had all of the meat off the bone, into our cotton bags and in our packs with just enough time to hike out before it would get dark. Then we gathered up our gear to leave. Unfortunately we spent 15-20 minutes looking for our new camo knives. They literally disappeared on the log my brother had set them on since it matched their camo finish quite well. Ended the hike out using flashlights. I promptly resharpened and then painted those knives fluorescent orange when we got back.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#48 Post by Martin Benade »

For a while I was famous for always having a fluorescent green cordless phone in hand at my shop. It helped a lot to be non camo
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna