Shock install half done- rear shock bolt stuck

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: Shock install half done- rear shock bolt stuck

#31 Post by Brian R Adams »

Harold Singh wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:26 pm Different penetrating oil. The lowest tq number I could find on the list was liquid wrench penetrating oil.
I once saw a comparison test of a bunch of penetrating oils, and good old Liquid Wrench came out on top. I have Kroil on hand for various things, but it has gotten expensive, almost 3x the cost of Liquid Wrench. There's no way it's even twice as effective.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#32 Post by Brian R Adams »

Larry Brooks wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:20 pm So I started punching a hole in the cans and draining the residual into a glass jar. Then for things that I could reach I would just use an eyedropper or Q-tip if it was small.
Once you get a handful of these disposable plastic pipettes, you'll never stop finding uses for them. Mark them with a Sharpie to reuse them with specific liquids. I like these with the long thin "whip" tip, and two larger diameters, as they can be trimmed for a specific application.

https://www.lmii.com/accessories/2956-m ... -pack.html
-

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

It’s funny to me that Liquid Wrench came out on top. I used it for 40 years, ignoring my friends recommendation of Blaster. I finally tried it and was instantly converted. It might not be as good as Kroil but it’s very good.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#34 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:09 pm It’s funny to me that Liquid Wrench came out on top.
It was just one such comparison, but took a lot of trouble to design, set up and conduct.
-

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#35 Post by Martin Benade »

I have seen at least one comparison that seemed carefully done, but don’t recall the winner. If you don’t want to get expensive stuff, try Blaster on a few jobs. I suspect it would impress you regardless of any tests that were done. It’s only about $5
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Pete Lenzini
356 Fan

#36 Post by Pete Lenzini »

The best penetrating oil - and perhaps the cheapest as well - that I've come across is "Ed's Red" or "Ole Red", or other similar names, ia home brew concoction of equal parts of:
ATF (Hence the Red in the name)
Kerosene (or diesel fuel, available at virtually any gas station)
Acetone (a potent solvent)
Mineral Spirits (or paint thinner)
This was originally developed by a gunsmith (Ed -----?) as rifle bore cleaner. I've been using it for years beginning on FJ40 Land Cruisers for which I think the term "rust" was invented. A handful of Cruisers I've owned for over 30 years have been driven year round on and off-road in mud, snow, salted roads, etc and I seldom try to remove a fastener until I've hit it with this stuff. For very rusty parts you can give multiple doses and let stand over night.

Do not put the stuff in plastic spray bottles as it will soften and distort, maybe even melt, the plastic. I use a cheap Harbor Freight pump-style oil can with a long spout.

HTH Pete
'64 356 SC
'14 Carrera S

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#37 Post by Martin Benade »

Is Ed’s Red so good it would work on a Fiat?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#38 Post by Brian R Adams »

Not so fast. "Ed's Red" (and its predecessors) had stuff in it not applicable to a penetrating oil. It was a rifle bore cleaner, and as such had to dissolve caked hard carbon deposits, for example, and also function as an oily rust preventive. Personally, I'd stick with inexpensive and ready-to-use Liquid Wrench or some other popular penetrant. But, if you are still intrigued by "Ed's Red", here's more than you'll ever need to know:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/a ... Recipe.htm
-

Pete Lenzini
356 Fan

#39 Post by Pete Lenzini »

Brian,

As I said in my post I know what it where it came from and what it was originally used for so i am not "intrigued" by it. I am speaking from personal experience in using it for over 30 years and I have found it is an excellent penetrating solution for freeing rusted and corroded parts. The ingredients are what many people already have in their shops so mix up a couple of ounces and try it your self.

Pete
'64 356 SC
'14 Carrera S

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#40 Post by Brian R Adams »

Pete Lenzini wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:26 am Brian,

As I said in my post I know what it where it came from and what it was originally used for so i am not "intrigued" by it. I am speaking from personal experience in using it for over 30 years and I have found it is an excellent penetrating solution for freeing rusted and corroded parts. The ingredients are what many people already have in their shops so mix up a couple of ounces and try it your self.

Pete
Pete, I didn't quote or refer to you personally, my post was more for the wider readership. That said, while I believe you that it works well as a penetrant owing to one or two ingredients in it, that doesn't mean all the ingredients are required for the penetration function, and almost certainly several ingredients are being wasted. Consider that to have "Ed's Red" one must brew it himself. I'm just pointing out the futility (and expense) of rounding up all four (or more, depending on which recipe one uses) ingredients, when in fact one (or more) are for bore cleaning and protection, not penetrating rusted joints. In particular, I question the acetone, in part because that's nasty smelly stuff I'd prefer to avoid if it's superfluous.
-

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#41 Post by Wes Bender »

OK, I guess it's time to resurrect my old line about the penetrating fluid I developed. It was so good that I couldn't find anything to keep it in.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#42 Post by Brian R Adams »

Wes Bender wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:24 am OK, I guess it's time to resurrect my old line about the penetrating fluid I developed. It was so good that I couldn't find anything to keep it in.
I've often regretted the lack of a "Like!" button in our forum.
-

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#43 Post by David Jones »

Reminds me of the 200lb plus guy in Walmart in full camo that I bumped into in the check out. I said Oh, sorry I didn't see you. He never saw my point either. This is Kentucky after all. TSC sells camo painted tools, must be a lot of them out in the backwoods.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#44 Post by Dave Erickson »

Brian R Adams wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:12 pm
Wes Bender wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:24 am OK, I guess it's time to resurrect my old line about the penetrating fluid I developed. It was so good that I couldn't find anything to keep it in.
I've often regretted the lack of a "Like!" button in our forum.
-
That’s what the +1 button is for!

+1

Pete Lenzini
356 Fan

#45 Post by Pete Lenzini »

Brian R Adams wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:53 am
Pete Lenzini wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:26 am Brian,

Pete
Pete, I didn't quote or refer to you personally, my post was more for the wider readership. That said, while I believe you that it works well as a penetrant owing to one or two ingredients in it, that doesn't mean all the ingredients are required for the penetration function, and almost certainly several ingredients are being wasted. Consider that to have "Ed's Red" one must brew it himself. I'm just pointing out the futility (and expense) of rounding up all four (or more, depending on which recipe one uses) ingredients, when in fact one (or more) are for bore cleaning and protection, not penetrating rusted joints. In particular, I question the acetone, in part because that's nasty smelly stuff I'd prefer to avoid if it's superfluous.
-
Brian,

The active ingredients are the ATV (detergent properties) and the acetone (strong solvent) but as you probably know acetone evaporates rapidly. I'm sure the kerosene is intended to restrict evaporation. I see mineral spirits recommended all over the place (maybe even in the Porsche manual?) for grease cutting. I personally had and have all of the ingredients in my shop and as I said I think many do as well. It's not like you have to run all over the place to find these and I wouldn't say "several ingredients are being wasted" as there are only 4 to begin with. You might want to check out this post on the Garage Journal board: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/thr ... is.200247/
Here's what it says in a nutshell:

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.
Significant results! They are below.
They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........ 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds
'64 356 SC
'14 Carrera S