Priming Bulb for 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Yarrish
356 Fan

Re: Priming Bulb for 356C

#31 Post by Mark Yarrish »

Greg, I think we have all been there before! so easy to forget the fuel petcock. Brian, yes the bulb is before the fuel pump, "pushing" fuel into the carbs. The braded line goes to the fuel tank.
1965 C Coupe
Instagram: yarrie513

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#32 Post by Greg Scallon »

Brian,
I have a '58 A but with a 1960 engine case. Not sure about the fuel pump type. Regardless, I have it set up exactly like Marks where the bulb is located between the fuel tank and the car's fuel pump. It pulls fuel from the tank and pushes it through the pump and into the carbs. Seems to work fine.

Regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#33 Post by Brian R Adams »

Greg Scallon wrote:Brian,
I have a '58 A but with a 1960 engine case. Not sure about the fuel pump type. Regardless, I have it set up exactly like Marks where the bulb is located between the fuel tank and the car's fuel pump. It pulls fuel from the tank and pushes it through the pump and into the carbs. Seems to work fine.
Sure, your 'B' engine offers ready access to the tank-to-pump fuel line. My 'A' does not.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Mark Yarrish
356 Fan

#34 Post by Mark Yarrish »

Still not sure why placing the bulb after the pump wouldn't work on the early style fuel pump. It can't work that much different, right? Someone else has to have tried this on the early fuel pump setups?
1965 C Coupe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#35 Post by Brian R Adams »

Mark Yarrish wrote:Still not sure why placing the bulb after the pump wouldn't work on the early style fuel pump. It can't work that much different, right?
There may be air in that line, between the pump and carbs, so the limited suction of the hand bulb cannot overcome that. It would be akin to (if not properly) "cavitation". For there to be air in there, some fuel must have drained back towards the pump, not sure that's possible.

Or, if the line does remain full of fuel, there's something about the pump that makes it difficult to suck fuel through it, as opposed to pushing fuel through it from the other side.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#36 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Hi Mark,
Glad to see that you and the C are doing well in Colorado.
My experience has been that the bulb works best in the horizontal position, as it needs a bit of fuel to start the pumping and priming operation.Brian`s comment above is very appropriate.
That being said, I am not a fan of having extra fuel line and fittings in the engine compartment.
The solution offered by Precision Matters is the by far the best from a safety perspective.
We also have a number of cars here in Cincinnati that have an electric pump under the passenger floorboard that is controlled by a manual on/off switch to prime the carbs.

See you soon!

Peter Boettcher
Just another Cinci hometown boy.
Peter Boettcher

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#37 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

For engine compartment originality, a more complex out-of-sight alternative would be an under passenger side floor board easy to operate elec fuel priming pump, per my C cab's photo.

After weeks of car non-operation with fuel tank valve off, it takes about 12sec of holding the under dash elec pump's on-button with fuel valve open to fill the carbs for a quick start. ( Fuel flow through the pump when off is unhindered and normal to the engine's pump.)
Attachments
#7-001.JPG
Last edited by Wil Mittelbach on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#38 Post by Alex Mestas »

If you don't want a priming pump in the engine bay, I installed an electric fuel pump in my 63 356 B to prime the carbs. If my Coupe sits for more than 2 weeks there's a lot of cranking going on. I bought the "Kit" from Ed Rutherford at Klasse356.com who put the kit together for me. It contained every thing you need for the installation including great instructions. I didn't want the pump in the floorboard or in the engine bay. I had the pump mounted on top of the right diagonal brace since there is already a hole there for the bracket. Then they drilled a hole for the ground wire on the same channel and attach with a bolt and ring terminal. The hot wire of the pump is runs thru the brake light switch wire grommet above the master cylinder, following those wires up to the steering column and under the dash.

I took Mike Wilson's recommendation and used an original sunroof switch as the my primer switch. The hot lead comes from the ignition switch. We picked up one of the connections next to the radio wire as it is only hot when the ignition is in the on position. We installed a fuse holder on the other wire from the switch (the one leading back to the pump). It takes a 10 amp fuse.

If you do use the sun roof switch, it just snaps into the rectangular hole under the dash to the left of the steering column. You can pig-tail the wire from two terminals to a single wire to the fuse so the pump can be activated either by pressing the switch to the right or left (open or close) mode of the switch. It's an 1.5 hour job. For those concerned with the authenticity of the appearance it's all reversible and can be removed as easily as it was installed. Using an original sunroof switch gave it the original touch. Thanks Mike for that great suggestion and instructions on connecting the switch.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Sonny Caudill
356 Fan

#39 Post by Sonny Caudill »

I just installed one of the fuel bulbs on our '60 T5 coupe and couldn't be happier...Made the startup after 6 months of storage an absolute snap!! I installed ours just after the fuel pump and it's sitting near vertical - no problems pulling fuel and only took about 6 squeezes to prime the carbs!
1960 356B

Mark Yarrish
356 Fan

#40 Post by Mark Yarrish »

Peter, glad to hear from you! I hope all of the DSG folks are doing well! The C and I have gotten quite close and we are enjoying the Colorado back roads. I have also met some fantastic folks in the RM356 club here.

I love the idea of an electric starter. This primer bulb was really a test to prove to myself that the starting issues with my car were due to fuel evaporating out of the float bowls. Not being old enough to remember the days when "heavy" or leaded fuels were around this concept was new to me. Sure enough this primer bulb has made start up a breeze. During pre-ignition checks I just take a look at the primer bulb and make sure all the lines are tight and secure. Before I prime the carbs I give the starter a crank to bring up the oil pressure, and let the fuel pump start to pump the fuel in the line. Then I get out, prime the bulb a few times, and the car has been starting immediately after that. Successful Design of Experiment!

Hopefully, I might run into you and other DSG members, in French Lick for the PCA 60th Parade?

~Mark
1965 C Coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#41 Post by Geoff Fleming »

I have a pump installation similar to what Wil shows, just with an earlier style electric pump. It is out of sight, protected, and you can still hear the pump 'ticking' when it is filling the carb floats.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#42 Post by Eric McKinley »

Sonny,

Do you have a picture of your installed fuel bulb?

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#43 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Sonny?

Really Eric?

We are very fortunate to have interest from a younger generation that will be the next group of caretakers for our cars when we can no longer push in a clutch pedal. My sons who are under 30 and Mark are true enthusiast for the 356`s that they own and are learning how to work on themselves, which is a wonderful thing. The Drei Staaten Gruppe works very hard to welcome and encourage attendance by the younger folks at all our events and get togethers.

Mark, see you in French Lick, I will be the old grey haired guy with a big smile on my face.

Regards,

Peter Boettcher
Cincinnati, OH USA
Peter Boettcher

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#44 Post by Eric McKinley »

Peter,

Might be helpful if you looked 3 up before commenting!LOL

When I say Sonny, I don't mean young person, I mean Sonny, as in the Christian name.

C'mon old boy get with the program!LOL

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#45 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I have owned my 64 SC coupe for 25 years and I have never needed any aid to start my car. My engine is stock except for a crane cam ignition system, and the ignition system is 20 years old.