Priming Bulb for 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

Re: Priming Bulb for 356C

#46 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Eric,

My sincerest apologies. This very old boy misunderstood your message. We are working very hard in our regional club to bring along the younger generation to understand and join in our passion for these funny little cars. I have helped liquidate collections from two close friends that passed away in recent years whose children and families did not have any interest in their collections. My granddaughter will turn one year old this Saturday and she has already received a Barbie Porsche as well as other 356 and Porsche related items. My dream is that she will keep the 356 passion alive long after her Opa is ashes on someones mantle.

All my best,
Peter Boettcher
Cincinnati, OH USA
Peter Boettcher

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#47 Post by Eric McKinley »

Peter,

Please don't give it a second thought.
I have to admit though it did bring a smile to my face.

Take care, Eric

Wyatt Blankingship
356 Fan

#48 Post by Wyatt Blankingship »

I finally got around to installing a priming bulb. It works perfectly. No more 2-3 minutes of cranking after the engine has not been started for a while.
Wyatt Blankingship

Mark Yarrish
356 Fan

#49 Post by Mark Yarrish »

Just wanted to update this post. After installing a primer bulb this spring, it has worked like a charm. Starting the car after sitting for weeks is now a non issue.

Another benefit to this setup is that it requires you to open up the engine lid before you start the car.

Yesterday, after I had turned over the motor to build oil pressure, I went back to the engine to prime the carbs. After a few squeezes on the bulb, I noticed fuel dripping down from the Banjo Bolt on the Left Zenith connection!

Since I was at the back of the car when the fuel was flowing into the bowls, I could see there was a problem. Not sure an electrical pump would have caught this, until a bunch of fuel was dumped into the bowls & the engine compartment!

drive 'em
Mark
1965 C Coupe
Instagram: yarrie513

James Rowe
356 Fan
Tag: Spend time behind the wheel!

#50 Post by James Rowe »

I agree that the primer ball requires you to open up the engine bay to check for leaks. I am the new owner of Wyatt’s 356 that he installed the primer ball on years ago. I opened the lid two weeks ago and squeezed the ball and found gas gushing out of the fuel pump between the two halves where the diaphragm is located. I was able to rebuild the pump prior to a fire. After rebuilding the pump again I pumped the ball and noticed the fuel was also leaking from the brass tube going up to the carburetor where it is pressed into the fuel pump. I used Permatex Green loctite wicking compound around the brass fitting. I let it sit overnight. Squeezed the ball and no more leaks. So I found two fuel leaks by having the squeeze ball. I consider that a win. Neither of those were easy to find without the ball. However, I also understand not adding additional fuel components into the system.
Mark Yarrish wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:03 pm Just wanted to update this post. After installing a primer bulb this spring, it has worked like a charm. Starting the car after sitting for weeks is now a non issue.

Another benefit to this setup is that it requires you to open up the engine lid before you start the car.

Yesterday, after I had turned over the motor to build oil pressure, I went back to the engine to prime the carbs. After a few squeezes on the bulb, I noticed fuel dripping down from the Banjo Bolt on the Left Zenith connection!

Since I was at the back of the car when the fuel was flowing into the bowls, I could see there was a problem. Not sure an electrical pump would have caught this, until a bunch of fuel was dumped into the bowls & the engine compartment!

drive 'em
Mark

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#51 Post by Greg Scallon »

I have a squeeze ball on my '58 and love it. Works perfectly to prime the carbs and I get to check out my engine before each drive to boot.

Works for me.

-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#52 Post by Jim Liberty »

I have hidden an electric pump in the engine bay on my C coupe, tucked in the back left corner. Power from the volt. Reg. with a small switch adjacent. My usual setup is under the passenger foot board with a hidden switch under the dash. ............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#53 Post by Jon Schmid »

I just drive my ratty coupe every week for 8-10 miles. Keeps fuel in the system and the battery charged. Plus, it's fun to drive...

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#54 Post by Wes Bender »

I have a squeeze bulb and would use nothing else..... in my fishing boat. Like Jim, I've got an electric pump that gets the job done quite efficiently. Serves as a backup for the engine driven pump too, should that need arise.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....