The "expander" option & luggage rack trivia

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#1 Post by George Bryan »

My T6B S90 notch has the expander on the kardex, but no mention of luggage. I assume you could have gotten just the expander to hold down stuff in the back. Pictures on Charlie's site show it as a 4 strap bungee attached to a ring. Black bungee cords?

Also, are the tan exterior luggage rack straps the same as the interior luggage straps? If Iread the options write up correctly, you have either 4 or 8 small leather straps for skis (maroon?) and 3 wider tan leather straps for suitcases? So about half a cow in leather straps per luggage rack & interior straps?

Anybody sell the three luggage rack straps and the "expander" items?

Thanks for any info. Regards, George #1175

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: The "expander" option & luggage rack trivi

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

George Bryan wrote:My T6B S90 notch has the expander on the kardex, but no mention of luggage. I assume you could have gotten just the expander to hold down stuff in the back. Pictures on Charlie's site show it as a 4 strap bungee attached to a ring. Black bungee cords?
George, I wonder if the "expander" option could be the extended steering column? See http://www.356registry.org/Tech/steerin ... nsion.html
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

David Menere
356 Fan

Re: The "expander" option & luggage rack trivi

#3 Post by David Menere »

My 356SC's kardex lists an expander and a luggage rack, but not a steering column extension by its full name. The car has an original Leitz rack, but it also has the steering column extension option. The kardex contains numerous abbreviations; maybe 'expander' became a shorthand way of identifying the extension option.
David Menere
356SC

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by George Bryan »

I was able to get leather straps for the luggage rack thanks to Pete McNulty. I suspect the bungee on the expander is black, and will have to be fashioned or adapted from a new item. I had an extended steering column on another car & it was marked on the paperwork as extender. Car documentation....a perfect science & record. Thanks & take care, George

John Chatley
356 Fan

"Expander"

#5 Post by John Chatley »

Hi George,

Let's back up for a second, do you have a copy of the Kardex or a Certificate of Authencity (COA)?
If a Kardex copy, it will be written in German.
If it's a COA, it is probably written in English and it was translated from German....Swabian German, which is not standard German and can be easily translated incorrectly.

Example: a COA once had the term: "Baggage Pillow" for a Conv. D.....it was incorrectly translated and it should have been: "Foam rubber cushion as (a) seat or luggage support for the rear (shelf)".
BIG difference, right?

Take a look at what you have. Possibly the word "expander" is on a COA and it was translated wrong. If you have the Kardex, please email me the German term and I will look it up for you.

Regards,
John
John Chatley #6578
Convertible D Registry
www.convertibledregistry.com

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tim Herman »

"Expander" is same as bungee cord,... stretch over luggage and secure to
rack.

Tim #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

----- Original Message -----
To: <356talk@356registry.com>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 2:23 AM
Subject: [356Talk] Re: The "expander" option & luggage rack trivia

My 356SC's kardex lists an expander and a luggage rack, but not a steering
column extension by its full name. The car has an original Leitz rack, but
it also has the steering column extension option. The kardex contains
numerous abbreviations; maybe 'expander' became a shorthand way of
identifying the extension option.

------------------------
David Menere
356SC
Canberra, Australia

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Brett Johnson »

As Tim states "expander" is the German word used to describe the four armed bungee cord also referred to as a "luggage spider" in the accessories manuals. I have seen a 356 CoA which has "strut brace" used as a translation for the same "expander" term. Of course, 356s unlike 911s and 914s had no struts to brace.
Brett Johnson

charles kourmpates

#8 Post by charles kourmpates »

George Bryan wrote:I was able to get leather straps for the luggage rack thanks to Pete McNulty.
Does Pete have a website and does Pete do the "inside" straps also, including the spare tire strap?

Anyone else offering reproduction leather straps, both for the rack and inside, including spare tire, of nothing but extreme quality?

Charles

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by George Bryan »

Charles, Pete is on the list & one of the good guys. Email is PMcNulty98@aol.com.

John, I have both documents. I lived in Schwabisch Gmund @40km N & E of Stuttgart & learned the dialect. A great place to live. I think I got the translation right and amazingly it actually was the same on both CofA & Kardex (note: one of the few times things synched up between the two). I appreciate the offer though & thanks much.

Thanks for the replies on the bungee.

Regards,
George #1175

John Chatley
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Chatley »

"Expander" in German = four-armed bungee cord use to secure the luggage (on the luggage rack).
Thanks Brett & Tim !!

Now why isn't that shown in detail in the new 356 Reg. magazine article about the Kardex translations, Jan/Feb., 2008, pg. 35?
The translation of "elastic strap" just doesn't cut it.

George,
Maybe you should be translating for the rest of us??
I certainly could use your help on occasion with questions on German terms that come up with the Conv. D Registry.

Thanks guys,
John
John Chatley #6578
Convertible D Registry
www.convertibledregistry.com