Best way to remove hub caps

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Best way to remove hub caps

#16 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Brad Ripley wrote:See vendor announcements section for windshield seal install tool. To use as a disc brake wheel hubcap tool, you might want to grind it a little thinner on one end. And yes, watch out for flying hubcaps.

Brad,

That is the trim stick that I use and works well without grinding, but as the old saying goes, "Your Mileage May Vary" :D
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

jim hasbrouck
356 Fan

#17 Post by jim hasbrouck »

Hi, I found a flat bladed screwdriver with a rag around the tip works fine on my pre-a. I hold the blade and rag in my left hand, inserted at about 3 o-clock between cap and wheel with my left forearm against the cap to keep it from flying. A tap on the screwdriver handle and off it comes. Seems like a screwdriver and rag are always laying around, at least in my garage.

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#18 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

steverestelli wrote:Image
Here is the tool that is supposed to be used. I have ordered one, but haven't tried it yet.

Is this a VW tool or was this actually delivered with the A, B tool kits. It is not easily visualized how the use of this tool could nick the paint on the wheel as has been stated. However, it does take more than a modest effort to remove the cap, so if you expect to put your finger in the loop and pull--don't, especially if you are on blood thinners.

There is a built in hub cap puller in the A, B tool kit. It is in the handle of the lug wrench. If you look at the knurled, freely turning portion of the lug wrench you will see a ball in the wrench handle. Depress the ball and displace the spinning portion away from the end to expose a pin. This pin fits into one of the holes in the hub cap. Insert the pin and pull the cap off using a much better grip than your finger. The danger in removing the hub cap with the generally unseen and perhaps to many, unknown "remover" hidden by the handle of the lug wrench is that a one pin removal may locally "lift" the edge of the hole. The latter is especially prevalent if an axial pull is induced with a bending moment. Or, if it is a cheap, thin. reproduction hubcap or one sold "like Porsche" or "baby moons". Use of this tool allows you to cup your hand on the bottom of the hub cap for support and to minimize the "flying about" of the cap during removal.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dave Erickson »

Albert Tiedemann wrote:It is not easily visualized how the use of this tool could nick the paint on the wheel as has been stated. However, it does take more than a modest effort to remove the cap, so if you expect to put your finger in the loop and pull--don't, especially if you are on blood thinners.
The loop is used with the jack handle. Since the jack handle pushes against the tire, the wheels should not get nicked.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jim Alton »

Ron LaDow wrote:Around the periphery of the raised 'rim' where the edge of the hubcap rests when installed, there are several (4?) depressed sections. You stick a good sized flat-blade screw driver in there and give a shove to the handle with the heel of you hand; off they come.
I guess you could use some sort of soft metal or hard plastic blade to the same effect, but I can't think of a common tool like that.
That's what I do, but with a shop rag over the screwdriver. Look for an old, worn (polished) big screwdriver.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#21 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Larry Coreth wrote:
The A,B hub caps were removed best using the factory tool provided in the tool kit as pictured by Steve.
Charlie White et al:

When was this addition added and is there a Factory picture to confirm?

Larry:

I do not have the tool pictured by Steve in hand, but I know it must pass a 13 mm diameter in the loop section to be used as Dave has posted. I have also measured an original LemmereX moon[as supplied with Normal engine equipped cars as standard] hubcap and determined that the segment height is 70 mm, the interface diameter at the removal holes to be 268 mm and the calculated radius of the moon to be 163....+mm. I suspect that the method cited by Dave could be used for the Super, Super 90 engine equipped cars but is there enough dimension provided in the tool to clear a moon hubcap as Dave has mentioned.

All:

What is the dimension between the inner diameter of the loop in the tool that Steve mentioned and the outer diameter of the pins nearer the inner diameter of the loop. Dimension needed for layout in lieu of a picture of the tool in use.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#22 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

DaveErickson wrote:
Albert Tiedemann wrote:It is not easily visualized how the use of this tool could nick the paint on the wheel as has been stated. However, it does take more than a modest effort to remove the cap, so if you expect to put your finger in the loop and pull--don't, especially if you are on blood thinners.
The loop is used with the jack handle. Since the jack handle pushes against the tire, the wheels should not get nicked.
Is this a statement from actual use or surmised/deduced? If actual use, was the jack handle used as a first class or second class lever. And was the tool used on a moon hubcap or super hubcap? If you or anyone has a picture of use[handle inserted in tool, hubcap on the wheel and hand position on jack handle prior to hub cap removal] with the moon hubcap, please post.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dave Erickson »

Here is a video showing a VW with half moon hubcaps, but the key is to insert the jack handle through the loop from outside in, then pull on the jack handle, no leverage.

http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-take-off ... s-32800849

I used to put a wood screwdriver handle on the edge of the rim and use it as a fulcrum, which gives you a bit more control.

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#24 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

DaveErickson wrote:Here is a video showing a VW with half moon hubcaps, but the key is to insert the jack handle through the loop from outside in, then pull on the jack handle, no leverage.

http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-take-off ... s-32800849

I used to put a wood screwdriver handle on the edge of the rim and use it as a fulcrum, which gives you a bit more control.
Thanks for posting the link to the video. It answers all of my previous posed questions and suspect usage. If the video commentary is correct then the following:

It is a VW tool--not likely a tool delivered by the Factory in the 356 tool kit;
so, it cannot be a removal method for the 356 that was endorsed by the Factory. However, it will fit the 356 application and can be made to work but not necessarily with the jack handle as you originally stated. However, if the holes in the hub cap are near horizontal and the wheels are slightly turned to the right as viewed in the normal driving direction, the handle will clear the wheel well opening and have enough space beyond the tire diameter since it is nearly 24 inches long. It would still require threading the handle from the outside as pointed out in this post and you will be able to use it as a second class lever as in the video and aligning with how you used a wood screwdriver handle described herein.

edit in bold
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#25 Post by Larry Coreth »

Al et al,
Here are some pictures for those of you who have not seen an original lug bolt wrench. Also I noticed the tool used in B t-6 tool kits was a simple hook with a wooden handle, which seems to be when the factory stopped using the Hazet 772/2 wrench. I know I’ve seen the “U” shaped tool but I see nowhere that it came with a factory tool kit but as we all know the tool kits were as changeable as the weather in Stuttgart.
Attachments
T6Bcomplete.jpg
Detail of Spring Loaded Stop.JPG
Detail of Pulling Pin.JPG
Tool and Hub Cap.JPG
Tool and Hub Cap-2.jpg
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Vincent Chiaro
356 Fan
Tag: Miles = smiles. Dirty car, happy driver.
Instagram: atypical__driver

#26 Post by Vincent Chiaro »

If you have one of those interior trim removal kits for modern cars, the tools also work great for hubcabs and are plastic so they won't cause damage.

Here is the one I have, comes in handy for many projects.
https://amzn.to/3QAcJHm
1960 356B Roadster -- http://www.youtube.com/atypicaldriver

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#27 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I use the corkscrew on my Swiss Army Knife for the baby moons and supers.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Mike Wilson »

For tools to remove the A and B hubcaps, search "hubcap puller" on The Samba. There are several types. I like the two-pronged type as there are two side by side holes in the hubcap and less chance of denting the hubcap.

As mentioned, place a towel on the floor so when the hubcap pops off, there won't be any damage especially to the hubcap crest.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vincent Chiaro
356 Fan
Tag: Miles = smiles. Dirty car, happy driver.
Instagram: atypical__driver

#29 Post by Vincent Chiaro »

This is a little off topic, but I noticed a few of the hubcap clips on my 1960 B roadster are broken. They appear to be riveted onto the wheels. (wheels are original and stamped with 1959)

Hubcaps seem to be secure even with the missing clips but is it possible to buy and replace the clips if I need to in the future?
1960 356B Roadster -- http://www.youtube.com/atypicaldriver

John Brooks
356 Fan

#30 Post by John Brooks »

Vincent

The clips, rivets and tool are available from most larger suppliers. They’re pretty easy to repair, drill out the buck tail rivets on the inside of the wheel, drive out the old rivet with a punch, the replace the rivet with the tool.

https://sierramadrecollection.com/cart. ... b+cap+clip+
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965