Anyone replaced an "A" funnel recently?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Heidi Frances
356 Fan

Anyone replaced an "A" funnel recently?

#1 Post by Heidi Frances »

Hi All,

Eva lost her right exhaust funnel a few weeks ago. Worse than a kid with a cell phone that one... Anyway, I ordered a replacement from Stoddard and it is sloppy loose... Has anyone installed a repo unit into an "A" bumper recently? It is a tad long so I think I can grind a bit off the small end and that should help. I have heard that some have installed a set screw... Does anyone have any photos?

Thanks,

Franny

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

Re: Anyone replaced an "A" funnel recently?

#2 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

I am surprised the funnel worked its way past the S pipe. Regardless, installation is easy with an application of JB Weld epoxy. Be certain the funnel and mating surface in the bumper guard are clean. Scuff both surfaces to give the JB Weld a good surface to grip to. Coat the funnel and install into the bumper guard. I also like to run a bead of JB Weld around the back of the bumper guard where the funnel meets it.

Good luck and keep on driving.
Eric Wahlberg

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#3 Post by Heidi Frances »

Thanks Eric,

Yup, she misplaced that too... Stupid wrong sized clamps. I'm replacing all the "S" pipes as the old ones aren't original and aren't the correct size.

I was wondering about JB Weld actually. So that worked out well? Good to know...

Thanks,

Franny

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brian R Adams »

Franny,

I was all set to use a clamp bolt setup I got somewhere on my 'A' but found that the funnels fit so snug into the holes in the bumper guards that just really wedging them in worked great. I would probably have to work at them to get them out now. In fact I have a spare bumper guard with a funnel embedded so tightly someone broke the guard trying to loosen the funnel. (It might have been epoxied in, which is why that makes me nervous.)
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

tim noble
356 Fan

#5 Post by tim noble »

I just am going through this now, possibly with original funnels. Check to see if the funnels fit deep into the bumper as there is a stop. If there not in all the way the pipe may only clear the hole in the bumper by 1/8 or so leading to clanks when going over bumps. 1/4" further in creates significantly more clearance. I followed Eric's advise with the JB weld this summer and the funnels can be removed with heat (map gas worked) and some whacking with a hammer and chisel. I think you only need a few dollops to hold them in.
Tim

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brian R Adams »

If the JB Weld (like all epoxies) can be loosened with heat, and the funnels get hot from the exhaust, how does the JB Weld hold the funnel in place? Just askin'.

tim noble
356 Fan

#7 Post by tim noble »

from their web site:
Q: How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?

A: J-B Weld (Part # 8265-S, 8265, and 8280) can withstand a constant temperature of 500 degrees F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 degrees F for a short term (10 minutes).

Q: Will J-B Weld work on an automotive exhaust?

A: Because of the extreme temperatures of exhaust systems, we do not recommend J-B Weld for use on exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Nor do we recommend the product for repairs within the combustion chamber.

Don't know the temp at the pipes but it sure does hold which is why I recommended using it judiciously.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#8 Post by David Jones »

As the funnels are not directly connected to the exhaust system I doubt it will see temps anywhere near 500. I have used JB weld on VW cylinder heads and on my funnels and it has so far after many years not come loose.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

#9 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

At Stoddard's website it can be read that the new exhaust funnels will fit in a repro guard. My funnels were too small as well for my original T2 guards.

I had two broken original funnels. I put the new funnel in a lathe and took a bit off of the outside of the part that goes in the funnel. Off? Yes, off, you'll see why. I did the same with the original funnels but then from the inside. Now I could fit the new funnel in the original one (after heating up the original) and all that I had to do was to cut the excessive part of the original funnel off. Now I have a new funnel with the circumference of the original one. I will make the transition a little bit smoother. I will heat up the bumper guard a bit and put the funnel in. And then it will be as tight as it can be.
You could do the same with an aluminium tube with the right OD/ID. But if you have originals it's easier to use these as you have the important right OD already.

I have to admit that I copied this idea from a friend.
P6230004ff.jpg
P7220490ff.jpg
P6230007ff.jpg
PB170601ff.jpg
Etienne Kerkhoffs
1958 356A T2 Sunroof Coupe

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#10 Post by Heidi Frances »

Hi Guys,

I came up with a solution to the small aftermarket funnel issue. It isn't as sophisticated as Etienne's, but it seems to work really well.

I tried gringing down the end hoping that, if the funnel was a little shorter, it would snug in. I removed a mm or so and it was still way, way loose. So, plan "B". I drilled a hole in the end and screwed in a wide head flat screw:
IMG_4228.jpg
Then, I ground the end of the screw off and shaped the head a tad:
IMG_4229.jpg
IMG_4230.jpg
It was then an easy thing to bang it in with a plastic hammer. Nice and tight! ...and, you can't see a thing :)
IMG_4231.jpg
IMG_4232.jpg
Franny

Carl E. Klem
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping going keeps me & my cars going :

#11 Post by Carl E. Klem »

Why is it a funnel if you have to epoxy the pipe in place? I would think that the end of the "S" PIPES SHOULD BE AT A STANDOFF, of an inch or so. Whilst driving the wind should conduct the exhaust gasses out of the funnel.
I am ready to place mine so i would like to know!

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#12 Post by Brian R Adams »

Carl E. Klem wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:58 pm Why is it a funnel if you have to epoxy the pipe in place? I would think that the end of the "S" PIPES SHOULD BE AT A STANDOFF, of an inch or so. Whilst driving the wind should conduct the exhaust gasses out of the funnel.
I am ready to place mine so i would like to know!
It acts as a funnel whether held firmly in place or not. For it not to flop around and leak at the funnel/guard junction, it needs to be wedged, clamped, or epoxied into the bumper guard. Given that, the 'S' pipe does not touch the funnel, but does protrude into the interior space an inch or two, far enough that I don't believe a loose funnel can fall free to the ground. Exhaust gas velocity does the rest, hold your hand over the guard exit hole to feel what I mean. The air rush of a speeding car may not affect it much if at all, but I like to imagine it helps stuff the exhaust through the funnel.
-

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

JB Weld makes a "High Heat" epoxy. It should not be necessary, but it will be permanent. .................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Carl E. Klem
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping going keeps me & my cars going :

#14 Post by Carl E. Klem »

My question was more about the positioning of the s-tubes. Looks like about 1" to 2" from touching the funnel.