How does ethanol in gas affect 356 engine/fuel system?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: How does ethanol in gas affect 356 engine/fuel system?

#136 Post by Brian R Adams » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Mike Horton wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 pm

...oh, the av gas, does Not have road taxes added, thus, technically not legal...
Legalities aside, the most salient feature of AvGas, aside from its 100+ octane rating, is that it still contains lead. The FAA, in partnership with research and industry entities, is in the process of developing unleaded formulations, but AFAIK it's all still leaded. I'm under the impression leaded fuel could be deleterious to our rebuilt engines.
-
"In God we trust. All others bring data." W. Edwards Deming

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#137 Post by David Jones » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Lead is a very bad contaminant especially to oil and more so to synthetic oil which cannot absorb it so it precipitates out and can lead to serious problems which is why it was removed from the aviation market. Mike Horton could comment on that.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#138 Post by Brian R Adams » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 am

David Jones wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:10 pm
Lead is a very bad contaminant especially to oil and more so to synthetic oil which cannot absorb it so it precipitates out and can lead to serious problems which is why it was removed from the aviation market. Mike Horton could comment on that.
I had been reading an FAA web page wherein it states lead is still present. Perhaps they're behind in page maintenance. It didn't suggest any unleaded avgas is available yet.
-
"In God we trust. All others bring data." W. Edwards Deming

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#139 Post by Mike Horton » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:34 am

The prevalent avgas fuels today, are for on the order of 5 decades, termed "low lead", and yes, there has been a push for a universal aviation fuel. Factors are the octane required for what are considered high compression ratio, 8.5-9:1, VS the lower power rated training engines, and the many previously "FAA Approved" build specifications, through history, the resolutions for which are the challenge, between the FAA, and the engine manufacturers.

... a sort of "bean counter, engineering, and federal approval authority issue,"... what could possibly be the problem... ?

I sent Harry Pellow the lead contents of the various av gas in use back when he was writing his books.
There is a vapor pressure differential, as well...
Mike

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#140 Post by Mike Horton » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:47 am

Oh, there are a few "auto gas" supplemental approvals, each very specific to each covered airframe, with each specific engine installed, primarily for lower powered, under 7.5:1, and to be used under detailed parameters.
Mike