What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 356 Rubber Trim "Kits?"

#571 Post by Martin Benade »

That’s pretty big, I assume you have 5.5 or 6” rims as even the 195s are too big for your original rims. Regardless I wouldn’t count on those fitting the rear without rubbing although I think some people succeed.
The car will not feel as light with the bigger tires, some like it. If you drive it gently the approximately original size might make you happiest.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: 356 Rubber Trim "Kits?"

#572 Post by Alan Hall »

Wasn't it a new topic a couple of hours ago? Forum gremlins?

Dougal Cawley
356 Fan

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#573 Post by Dougal Cawley »

Jim Breazeale wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Dougal Cawley wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:05 am There are budget options if price is your dermining factor and you are happy with the compromise. but i just think buying the best thing is better.

see what you think about this artile

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/history ... 12463.html

That is from the Porsche Newsroom.
Dougal

I respect the fact that you are a tire dealer and want to hype your own product. Disparaging testimonials from actual users of 356s ain't cool IMHO, though. Posting a, totally biased, ad from Porsche proves nothing. I can personally attest to the performance of the Bridgestones mentioned earlier. They were mounted on aluminum 15 X 15 1/2 wheels on my 356 Outlaw. They were, hands down, the best tire that had ever been on the car. When it came time to replace them, I had to use something different due the fact that the Bridgestones were NLA. I chose 185 X 70 X 15 Vred Sprint classics. I was prepared to be underwhelmed but was surprised to find them really great. One small benefit over the 195 X 65s was a decrease in RPMs at 70MPH due to the slightly larger diameter that comes pretty close to the diameter of the original 165s. The tires grip like crazy and are very predictable, much like the Bridgestones that preceded them.. They performed very well on Sears Point Raceway, as I was lapping with a bunch of early 911 Hot Rods and I was far from the slowest car out there. I couldn't be happier.
By the way, price was not my first concern. Even though I am retired and on a "fixed income" I can afford any frigging tire I want. There you have it, a "hands on" testimonial from an actual user on an actual 356.

Regards

Jim
Jim, i'm sorry you arent going to like this post. However having tried 2 drteadful tyres on your car and thought they were good is not a good reference.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#574 Post by David Jones »

I am running 175x65 Sumitomo tires on my C as a compromise as good 165x80 tires are hard to find at reasonable prices. They are excellent tires but smaller diameter so my gearing is a little lower through the range but my engine is still quite happy at freeway speeds and acceleration is better by a miniscule amount. I object to paying $150 each for tires that will be maybe 30% worn when I have to replace them though in reality at my age I am more likely to be life expired before the tires. Yes I could like Jim afford to buy the expensive tires but having driven on both cheap and expensive I can honestly say that most 356 drivers I have observed will not be able to tell the difference. Alignment tire size and tire pressures may make the biggest difference in how the tires feel on the road.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#575 Post by Paul Lima »

Dougal, I'm with Jim. I'm on my 2nd (and unfortunately, last) set of Bridgestone RE960 Pole position 195x65R15 on 5.5" wheels on my Roadster. Awesome tires and awesome Roadster mates. You are entitled to your opinion, as is Jim. You'd better serve the folks of the Registry by stating positives for your case and not disparaging others opinion, particularly when you are not talking about facts, only opinions.
Last edited by Paul Lima on Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Shoemaker
356 Fan

#576 Post by Gary Shoemaker »

Thanks, Martin! Appreciate your comments! Gary

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#577 Post by Martin Benade »

I also love my drteadful RE 960 Pole Position tires, as do many people that actually know about high performance tires and driving. Dougal, you are gaining enemies with some of your posts. There is no reason to assume that fifty-plus year old tire designs will be altogether superior to a modern tire.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dougal Cawley
356 Fan

#578 Post by Dougal Cawley »

Hi

yes it is true there are cheaper tyres, but that doesn't make them better it just makes them more affordable, and the choise you guy have to make is how much compromise you are prepared to make to save money.

within the what makes a better tyre. I think we all know and accept the better tyre manufacturers such as Michelin and Pirelli do actually make better tyres. so i don't think their is any doubt that if you guys could get a Michelin or Pirelli at the same price as you can for the budget tyres you are fitting then you would just buy Michelin or Pirelli. that is a no brainer. It is only the money that steers you away from the good stuff.

On this web page

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... e/356.html

There is the Michelin XAS and the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 165VR15 tyres. These have proper period carcas design for 1960s cars. both these tyres have been produced by 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers using bang up to date compounds to give better grip, particularly in the wet. These compounds are presented to the road by a carcass that is developed to be fitted to rims of your sizes in conjunction with your chassis set up.

If you were to ask me if these are the best tyres then that is spurious, but what we are talking about is what are the best tyres currently made for a Porsche 356, and i would say yes the Cinturato and XAS are the best tyres. I would also say that Porsche themselves have tested these tyres and homolgated them with the N homolgation. I would also point out that the CN36 was a tyre that Porsche themselves asked Pirelli to make again for their classic range having seen the 185/70VR15 CN36 that Pirlli had made for Longstone and realised how right they are for your chassis.

https://www.cinturato.net/images/test-c ... s-0716.pdf

It isn't just an opinion. The design of your chassis suits a period tyre better than it does a modern tyre.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#579 Post by Jim Clement »

Dougal, All.
any options out there for a car that will be driven occasionally at or below the freezing mark ?
All of the tires I see mentioned, have a dire warning to not utilize them below 7 degrees Celsius or about 40 degrees F

Thoughts ?

Dougal Cawley
356 Fan

#580 Post by Dougal Cawley »

no there isn't really a winter tyre that i know of.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#581 Post by Jim Clement »

Just looking for more of an "All Season" type of tire, not a winter tire.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#582 Post by David Jones »

Jim, these perform well in cold weather. I have not tried them in the snow. Sumitomo Tire HTR A/S P02 All- Season Radial Tire-175/65R15 84H
They will lower your gearing a little but acceleration is a minuscule amount faster.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#583 Post by Paul Lima »

I wish I could recommend my Bridgestone RE960; they are excellent all-season but are no longer made.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#584 Post by David Jones »

The Kumho 185 x 65 worked well on my 64C.
Quiet comfortable ride and stuck well in the curves. Priced right as well.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... lsrc=aw.ds
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dougal Cawley
356 Fan

#585 Post by Dougal Cawley »

185/65R15 and 175/65R15 are completely the wrong size.

You would be far better off with any of the proper period 165R15 tyres. Its not going to better fitting a wider tyre, that will always spoil the handling of a 356. and a lower side wall will not help at all, certainly not a more modern profile like a 65% that is only going to be stiffer.