What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#601 Post by Mark Roth »

“Nope, but consider that if you fit 165 front and 185/70 rear, you will change the balance of the car a bit.“

When I first got the car it had that arrangement. I noticed that the car didn’t feel balanced in sweeping turns. I recall that there were different brand tires on the front and rear. Wasn’t sure whether it was the brands or the sizes. Then I went to all 185s on 5.5 rims based upon the performance thinking at the time.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#602 Post by Martin Benade »

That article has no comparisons with any of the tires we typically use, which could prove or disprove your point.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#603 Post by David Jones »

Real world comparisons may not be of any real interest to someone who only cares about selling upmarket tires. I am a logic and function driven person and my Casio day watch and my cheap Seiko dress watch do it for me.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#604 Post by Mark Roth »

Real world comparisons may not be of any real interest to someone who only cares about selling upmarket tires.
David,
Please refrain from personal attacks. I don't see where Dougal has said anything other than his opinion which is backed up by some objective data. You have a different perspective that many others have as well. Both perspectives are valid depending on the needs of the perceiver. As I mentioned, I was very happy with the Kumhos when they were available in my size. I found the tire comparison test article useful and read it before I bought the CN36s. I may buy the Vredesteins next time as they test almost as good and are less expensive. Each to their own.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#605 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Mark Roth wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Real world comparisons may not be of any real interest to someone who only cares about selling upmarket tires.
David,
Please refrain from personal attacks. I don't see where Dougal has said anything other than his opinion which is backed up by some objective data. You have a different perspective that many others have as well. Both perspectives are valid depending on the needs of the perceiver. As I mentioned, I was very happy with the Kumhos when they were available in my size. I found the tire comparison test article useful and read it before I bought the CN36s. I may buy the Vredesteins next time as they test almost as good and are less expensive. Each to their own.
Mark

You, most likely, haven't read all of the posts in this thread. There is more than one person that needs to be admonished in this thread, myself included.

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#606 Post by Martin Benade »

Jim, you are a sensible guy.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#607 Post by David Jones »

Mark, that was not a personal attack it was an observation on a sales tactic. I doubt he has a 356 and has maybe never driven one. No matter, he is using the forum to market his company. I only pass on my personal experience and observations hopefully to the advantage of registry members. Go back 20 years and you will find I recommended Kuhmo tires after researching and finding they were being used as a spec tire in a racing series in Europe. I bought a set and reported on their performance, I have since bought other tires and recommended against them. I will comment and in the main will not denigrate members but I will comment on what I consider practices that are unethical. Using the forum to regularly promote one's own business is unethical and should be discouraged.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#608 Post by Vic Skirmants »

+1 David.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#609 Post by Mark Roth »

David,
There are many vendors who promote their products on the forum. I can think of about five off hand. I’m happy to be informed about the products. As long as the vendor is discussing the product objectively and not disparaging other vendors, I don’t have a problem with it. I bought my CN36s from a US based company rather than having them shipped from the UK.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#610 Post by Martin Benade »

I do think he is disparaging other tire brands, sizes, and those of us that use them.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#611 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:29 am I do think he is disparaging other tire brands, sizes, and those of us that use them.
Dougal Doesn’t think much of my ability to offer a personal observation. So be it…….

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#612 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Bloody hell Doug has made it to another forum to upset members with relentless pushing of this tyres.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#613 Post by David Jones »

He did not like our forum? What was it, inability to dispute facts? No real proof his was a better tire?
Choose one.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#614 Post by Mark Roth »

Is there something in the water that has some people on edge? Jeez, if you don’t like someone else’s opinion, either ignore it or state your own.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#615 Post by David Jones »

I did state my own opinion to him and he did not like it. His facts were advertising blurbs.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715