What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

#226 Post by Neil Bardsley »

In the paddock at the Goodwood revival Motul has a free oil testing service and I chatted to them. They had some interesting things to say.

1). Don't idle your car to warm it up. Get in and drive. The rings aren't sealed/heated properly so petrol is coming past and wearing the oil. I've also, believe, that I've heard Cliff writing about not having a low idle because the CAM is getting enough oil.

2) store your car for longer periods with fresh oil. Someone asked this on here a while ago. He didn't explain that one

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#227 Post by Martin Benade »

The cam lobes nearly dip into the oil if its full and I hear it’s pretty windy inside a crankcase so at least with stock valve springs personally I wouldn’t worry about idle speed lubrication. Storing with clean oil is good because dirty oil can have acidic stuff in it that can damage the bearings while it’s stored.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jorge Avila
356 Fan

#228 Post by Jorge Avila »

I suggest getting a full flow air filter from Precision Matters. It will keep the oil cleaner for a longer period and as a bonus, it will make you engine run cooler. Thanks Ron

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#229 Post by Dave Erickson »

I need to refill the ZF steering gear after removing, draining it and replacing the seals. Is this the preferred lubricant: MOBIL 1 Synthetic, SAE Grade : 75W-90

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#230 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Check out Pennrite steering box lube. 16 oz. Lithium based and pourable, gel-like consistency. Appropriate for ZF boxes from what I've read. Restoration Supply Co in Escondido used to carry it.1-800-306-7008 Made in Australia.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#231 Post by Mike Horton »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:08 am The cam lobes nearly dip into the oil if its full and I hear it’s pretty windy inside a crankcase so at least with stock valve springs personally I wouldn’t worry about idle speed lubrication. Storing with clean oil is good because dirty oil can have acidic stuff in it that can damage the bearings while it’s stored.
... and dirty oil will 'sediment, or gravity " fall out, and leave the bad stuff on the case sump floor, and other remote, hard to find places...

Ron's Pre-mat sump screen billet cover, with its re-designed drain plug, actually creates the real low place, for a more complete oil drain, while oil is warm, brilliant !
Mike

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#232 Post by Mike Horton »

Jorge A. Avila wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:03 pm I suggest getting a full flow air filter from Precision Matters. It will keep the oil cleaner for a longer period and as a bonus, it will make you engine run cooler. Thanks Ron
... and last longer, as they did in aviation piston engine maintenance, when that industry adopted the full glow filters, in the early 1960s, a period I experienced and worked through professionally, proving these "claims", ... which proved to be true, as it was in the automotive industry, about the same time frame.

This is one of the best upgrades for the 616 engine design, in my opinion, based on experience, history, and tech knowledge, and included one of Ron's Pre-Matt centered kits on my hybrid '62 S90, at overhaul, as I had a big can original Leistritz muffler, for which this unit was designed, his remote, for those who's exhaust systems lack mechanical clearance for the centered unit, and I retained the original by-pass filter, for its finer particulate filtering properties, the extra near qt. of oil capacity, and the by-pass filter can's extra surface area for air flow cooling...

If you care about the benefits of the full flow filters, do your own, independant thought research, as through time, this "science", has been long proven, and leaves an original top side engine appearance.

... just my $.02
Mike

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#233 Post by Mark Roth »

The discussion of the pros and cons of full flow oil filters is here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47766
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Re: Dino vs synthetic oil question

#234 Post by Dennis Vogel »

David Jones wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:44 am Bill, use this chart to make your decision, You can rule out most of their oils based on ZDDP amounts. Choose one with more than 900 ppm. From all my research I would say 1200/1300 ppm is optimum.
I dug up this thread as I don't seem to be able to get PennGrade in NorCal anymore, and Sierra Madre isn't offering it for shipment either.

The link in David's post was no longer working. I think this Has Zinc Been Remove from Motor Oils FAQ topic includes a link to the current product chart including Zinc level.

Based on what's currently offered, and David's comments, it appears the Mobil 1 15W-50 with 1300 PPM Zinc level is the recommended Mobil 1 choice.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#235 Post by Steve Proctor »

Brad Penn fan and have never run a synthetic in a 356, but now considering the higher zinc Mobil 1 blends that come in higher viscosities. Anyone have an option as to whether they are less likely to leak? I recall that was a common rap on synthetics. Thanks,

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#236 Post by Wes Bender »

PennGrade partial synthetic 20W50 is available on Amazon.

(Hi Steve! We still miss you out here....)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#237 Post by David Jones »

Considering how relatively cheap synthetic is and the basic needs of even a high performance street 356 engine I believe Mobil 1 15/50 is more than adequate. As to the leak concerns that was eventually traced to non compatible additives in the early synthetic oils that caused a reaction in the material of the oil seals. That was addressed and I have not seen oil leaks from seals for a very long time. Paying $90 a gallon for a boutique oil that is unnecessary is a real waste. I think all the major brand 15/50 oils will have around the same amount of ZDDP because that viscosity range is intended mostly for diesel engine vehicles.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#238 Post by Martin Benade »

What is a good break-in oil? I gather Mobil 1 is not recommended.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#239 Post by David Jones »

I use Shell Rotella 15/40 conventional. It has 1200 ppm of zinc which is enough for our engines. Less than $15 a gallon at Walmart. It is also good enough to use as an everyday oil for most street driven close to stock engines.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#240 Post by Kevin Wills »

"Driven" is another option for break-in oil. That is what I am going to use on the engine I am wrapping up. Was recommended by LN Engineering that I got P/C's from.