Sump plate studs. Lock Tite? Good? Bad? Please advise.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Sump plate studs. Lock Tite? Good? Bad? Please advise.

#16 Post by Wes Bender »

Very, very old thread. Blue Loctite good. Red Loctite not. Both Ron and Tim are correct.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#17 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I followed the directions for the installation of similar Allen head studs using blue Loctite with an aluminum sump plate. There is minor weepage of Mobil-1. Would use of Teflon tape or Teflon dental floss for the stud threads on the case side be any better? I remember a mentor telling me not to use Loctite for 356 fasteners because of potential for galling of threads, especially when mating two different metals.

Addendum:
There is a FAQ list on the LocTite website. They state that LocTite protects threads from galling.
I recently purchased an item that came with screws that had blue LocTite already applied and dried. The instructions stated that once the screws were installed and torqued that the screws be allowed to set and cure for 24 hours before the first use.
Last edited by Tom Wavrin on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Mike Wilson »

There was a recent thread about break-in oils and leakage from synthetics was mentioned. Perhaps an appropriate sealant would stop the leak.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#19 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Thanks, Mike. The weepage may be from the plate and gasket level and it’s not enough to make any changes. I was just wondering if Teflon thread tape would offer any advantage other than not galling the aluminum case threads. I like the Allen head studs because they can be held in place when removing the nuts.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

I don’t see how galling would be an issue, the studs shouldn’t even be very tight. The Loctite should lubricate during installation and seal after it’s cured. If you need to remove them, even Loctite Red let’s go easily with a little heat such as a propane torch.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#21 Post by Chuck Allard »

Try a bit of green Loctite 2701 on the threads when you install them. It is supposed to weep into cracks and seal against leaks.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#22 Post by David Jones »

$1 Chuck, my favorite loctite color.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

Re:

#23 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Steve Harrison wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:22 am Hey Greg,

I agree that Locktite is not a sealer per se,.. it's more designed as a safety device,..like a lock washer,.. to keep threaded items from unscrewing due to vibration. It's a liquid that's engineered to turn into a crystaline substance when under pressure. That's why the package says you can return the part to service immediately without a wait period for effectiveness. The act of tightening the joint will make the locktite convert and do its job.
Just reading through this thread and came across this. Locktite is an anaerobic thread locker. It forms a crystalline structure in the voids between threaded fasteners when it is isolated from oxygen. Pressure has nothing to do with it. The locktite container is a special plastic that is oxygen permeable.
Patrick Ertel

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#24 Post by David Jones »

Patrick, that is the type of informative reply that deserves applause. I for one applaud it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Philip C Trenholme
356 Fan

#25 Post by Philip C Trenholme »

I visited the Loctite product page and discovered that there are 47 threadlocker products available in 5 different colors, 10 of which are colored Blue. The product catalog includes links to the Technical Data Sheet which defines the specific application for use of each of the products. To indicate that Blue, Red or some other color Loctite should be used may be misleading.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#26 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Offhand, I cannot think of a situation on a 356 engine, other than the drain plug, where aluminum threads are intended for regular use. Originally the sump studs are a very tight fit. Replacement studs should be the same, but the QC on the aftermarket studs I can get locally is such that I select the tight fitting ones and even then they are not as tight as the originals. Of course,. they will tend to leak if they are loose. Loctite is probably the best solution. Perhaps one type to hold the stud and then the thin wicking type to seal.