I am new here (looking to buy)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doc Jewell
356 Fan

I am new here (looking to buy)

#1 Post by Doc Jewell »

I am new here.

Yet I have good friends around the Porsche hobby. I even passed Vic Skirmants in an HSR event with a 911. He may disagree.

I am looking to buy a restored Porsche 356C/356B with no issues. My name is easy to google.
Thanks,
Doc

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: I am new here (looking to buy)

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Sorry I have no leads. Since you suggested it I googled you. The third item was an obituary from 2019. Is that you?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Martin, try Doc Jewell early Porsche 911. He is very much alive.
Welcome Doc, we are actuality a friendly bunch and you will now very likely receive some car offers.. choose carefully and as one of our esteemed members often says, buy the seller,
We are here to help and advise.
Add your location to your information it will make you more believable .
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

James Rowe
356 Fan
Tag: Spend time behind the wheel!

#4 Post by James Rowe »

Doc Jewell wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:11 am I am new here.

Yet I have good friends around the Porsche hobby. I even passed Vic Skirmants in an HSR event with a 911. He may disagree.

I am looking to buy a restored Porsche 356C/356B with no issues. My name is easy to google.
Thanks,
Doc
Did you look in the classifieds here on the site? There are a couple and added regularly.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#5 Post by George Hussey »

These cars are now so old and were originally a complicated build from Reutter or Karmann, that one must be very very careful and do in in person inspection. The difference between a good restoration and a mediocre one can be tens of thousands of dollars apart. Also best to find one that has been restored at least ten to 15 years ago or longer as the body will show any flaws that were improperly repaired.. Then there are vast differences in the values of the different models. I would start with either price or model and then focus in from there.
George Hussey

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

A) Who are you going to get to look at the car with you? B) be sure you have all the paper work on the car including specifications on the engine, transmission and running gear. this will be a clear indication of the ability of the mechanical restoration person (shop). Then you need to find someone that will restore the car to your satisfaction. (same rules apply). Without a 5 year waiting list.
If for some reason your plane would land at DFW or Dallas Love Field. You are welcome to stop by!! al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Welcome. As David said we are (mostly) a friendly bunch. In my opinion the best car might be one with a few easy to fix issues because the elderly owner has not been able to keep up the work he or she did for a few decades. Not all of us are as spry or have a lift like David. Those Welsh are hardy folk.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:42 pm Welcome. As David said we are (mostly) a friendly bunch. In my opinion the best car might be one with a few easy to fix issues because the elderly owner has not been able to keep up the work he or she did for a few decades. Not all of us are as spry or have a lift like David. Those Welsh are hardy folk.
I just sold one like that, a nice couple in their 70's said they were always driving their 996 and rarely driving this, so they passed it on. They are out there.
This one was cool, originally Irish Green, matching numbers, sold for $56,000. Drive now, restore later!
Attachments
irish.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And I thank you Adam for selling it to it's new owner who was one of the Newbies I helped to find their 1st 356! KTF
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:34 pm And I thank you Adam for selling it to it's new owner who was one of the Newbies I helped to find their 1st 356! KTF
A few people clowned me, said I should have held out for more. Nope, I made a profit and a guy got a good car for his first 356, that's what it is all about.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doc Jewell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Doc Jewell »

I apologize.

I guess that I should read the rules?
Doc Jewell

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wes Bender »

Don't know why you are apologizing, Doc. I don't see where you did anything wrong. Matter of fact, I think you are going about the search properly. Hopefully, your post will smoke out a good car for you. Welcome to the forum. Great place to hang out.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

Call me at 949-375-1888, I might be able to help. .......Jim.
Jim Liberty